News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Super low bridge overpass warning signs

Started by relaxok, March 31, 2014, 02:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Under I-380 in Cedar Rapids:

Six feet (towards the left), but about a two feet higher over towards the right. I drove my rental Ford Taurus under the short stack.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

getemngo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 01, 2014, 07:15:26 PM

Is this one of those artificial height limits to keep trucks (and horses) off the bridge? Seems like the "Strictly Enforced" weight limit, however you enforce that, would take care of the problem.
~ Sam from Michigan

txstateends

The first 2 Street Views (the OP and the next one) are amusing if you click the arrows on forward.  The OP's goes from one side of the low clearance to the other, no transition.  The second one, you get up to it, then at the last minute, you only get a backward arrow.  No going on past the low clearance at all.

I wonder if the Googlers have to get out of their cars to do some kind of fold-down of the camera stick to get under really low clearances.  There's one in Longview, TX that it got under, on Green St. by downtown (10', http://goo.gl/maps/6OvOS, with yellow/black 'decorations' ahead of it); several blocks south on Green, another low one, different railroad line (10' 6", http://goo.gl/maps/y830c, no advance 'decorations').  These are the lowest I ever drove by or under.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Ian

Quote from: getemngo on April 01, 2014, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 01, 2014, 07:15:26 PM

Is this one of those artificial height limits to keep trucks (and horses) off the bridge? Seems like the "Strictly Enforced" weight limit, however you enforce that, would take care of the problem.

Yeah, I think the logic behind this one is that if you're vehicle is over 8 feet tall, you're most likely too heavy for the bridge.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

NJRoadfan

The Google car clearly wasn't going to make it under this 7" high overpass.
http://goo.gl/maps/99M61

doorknob60

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 04, 2014, 12:13:34 AM
The Google car clearly wasn't going to make it under this 7" high overpass.
http://goo.gl/maps/99M61

I'd have a real hard time crawling under one of those!

hm insulators

Quote from: talllguy on April 01, 2014, 10:34:41 AM
My favorite is 11'8" in on NC-1327 in Durham. It has it's own website even. Even with flashing overheight sensors, trucks tend to hit it more than occasionally (video).

I can understand somebody driving a Penske or UHaul truck for the first time in his life and he doesn't realize just how tall the vehicle is, but many of these trucks are driven by alleged "professionals" who should know better than to jam their rigs in a low underpass! :pan:
And there's signs all over the place; there's lights merrily flashing to let them know, "Hey, ding-a-ling, your truck's too tall!"

But wouldn't you want to be a fly on the wall at the dispatch office when one of these drivers gets to explain to his boss, in great detail, exactly how he managed to wreck the rig? :colorful:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brandon

Quote from: hm insulators on April 22, 2014, 03:45:43 PM
My favorite is 11'8" in on NC-1327 in Durham. It has it's own website even. Even with flashing overheight sensors, trucks tend to hit it more than occasionally (video).

I can understand somebody driving a Penske or UHaul truck for the first time in his life and he doesn't realize just how tall the vehicle is, but many of these trucks are driven by alleged "professionals" who should know better than to jam their rigs in a low underpass! :pan:
And there's signs all over the place; there's lights merrily flashing to let them know, "Hey, ding-a-ling, your truck's too tall!"

But wouldn't you want to be a fly on the wall at the dispatch office when one of these drivers gets to explain to his boss, in great detail, exactly how he managed to wreck the rig? :colorful:

Well, in some cases, these "professionals" paid for their CDLs.  It was a big scandal in Illinois not too long ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2014, 04:25:11 PM
Well, in some cases, these "professionals" paid for their CDLs. 

you couldn't pay me to want to drive a truck.

the first time I hit the limiter and went 62 mph to pass someone doing 61.999, my soul would leak out of my rectum.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 22, 2014, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2014, 04:25:11 PM
Well, in some cases, these "professionals" paid for their CDLs. 

you couldn't pay me to want to drive a truck.

the first time I hit the limiter and went 62 mph to pass someone doing 61.999, my soul would leak out of my rectum.

Who says they all have limiters?  I've watched trucks going 75-80 mph easily, and those dump trucks (cartage carriers) don't seem to have limiters either.  Can't count the numbers of times I've had them pass me doing 80+.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

David Jr.

wanderer2575

From the videos on the website, it appears the flashing OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN sign operates erratically.  And that wording comes across as general information and not as a specific warning that YOU ARE (no "if") overheight and YOU must turn.

According to the website, the bridge clearance was raised from 11'8" to 12'4" in October 2019.  It's still had some scrapes (har!) since then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.