Unusual destinations on highway signs

Started by hbelkins, November 25, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I know a guy who lives in East Sullivan, Maine, and drives to New Hampshire twice a year specifically to buy liquor at the Portsmouth store.

I've always found it funny how the stores advertise lottery tickets so prominently. Do the liquor stores have a monopoly on lottery sales?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: briantroutman on November 25, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on November 25, 2014, 07:29:13 PM
I liked the use of "The WEST" or "The NORTH" on motorways in England...

The PTC still has some "...And West"  signs on the Turnpike.

New Jersey has "and north" and "and south" on the Turnpike.

Massachusetts used

Mass Pike
Points West

for many years, which of course made 10-year-old me have to say "Doesn't that depend which way you're facing?"

GaryV

Quote from: briantroutman on November 25, 2014, 07:16:54 PM
Certainly "other Desert Cities"  has to be mentioned.
And since you mentioned it, I'll mention to not bother to see the play by the same name.

jakeroot

As a followup to the first page's stadium bit, I-5 and I-90 near downtown Seattle have BGSs that advertise the stadiums:

But, I wouldn't consider their adverts as being "unusual" because they're fairly important things you might want to visit while in the city.

1995hoo

My point was merely that I don't think I've seen many pull-through signs with the sports venue used in the "control city" position. Those Seattle signs don't change my comment due to where the names are.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
My point was merely that I don't think I've seen many pull-through signs with the sports venue used in the "control city" position. Those Seattle signs don't change my comment due to where the names are.

Oh, so you're saying in the 16-inch destination/control city box, not just on the sign (somewhere).

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2014, 10:09:20 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2014, 09:17:17 PM

Oh, so you're saying in the 16-inch destination area. That makes sense now.

Not exactly a BGS...more like a LGS, but it is over I-20 (WB):
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bmgc5z1mha18z2cmzopz2u

This is the next exit down from the one above:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bmge8z1mh6knz2cmzopz2u

I-20 WB coming into Monroe, LA:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2blyyxz1nle87z2m0zofz2u

I-20 WB in Monroe, LA:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bm5u3z1nk166z2akzofz2u
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: briantroutman on November 25, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
The PTC still has some "...And West"  signs on the Turnpike.

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 25, 2014, 08:38:34 PM
Where's the interchange name? :P

The PTC also has an unnamed / un-tabbed sign (That says "Exit 75" instead of "Exit Lane") approaching New Stanton, also traveling WB:
http://goo.gl/maps/emrR7
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Pete from Boston

"Sports Complex" is a NJ favorite, since "Meadowlands" is the name of the region, and putting all three words would be excessive.  Good thing, since naming rights now make specific stadium names a future replacement liability (looking at you, Massachusetts, with your "TD Garden" overlays).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 28, 2014, 11:36:43 AM
"Sports Complex" is a NJ favorite, since "Meadowlands" is the name of the region, and putting all three words would be excessive.  Good thing, since naming rights now make specific stadium names a future replacement liability (looking at you, Massachusetts, with your "TD Garden" overlays).

You'll still find signs for the "E-Center" or "Entertainment Center", the outdoor concert venue in Camden, NJ off of I-676 which originally was called the E-Center, then the Tweeter Center, then the Susquehanna Center.  Susquehanna Bank was recently sold, so that name will probably change again.

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2014, 04:39:34 PM
I know a guy who lives in East Sullivan, Maine, and drives to New Hampshire twice a year specifically to buy liquor at the Portsmouth store.

I've always found it funny how the stores advertise lottery tickets so prominently. Do the liquor stores have a monopoly on lottery sales?
It's no longer the case, but for several years NH state liquor stores were the only place you could buy NH lottery tickets.  At one point, the highway signs for the liquor stores included the legend "LOTTERY TICKETS" as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

odditude

Quote from: hbelkins on November 26, 2014, 11:49:52 AM
I don't think tourist destinations like sporting arenas, amusement parks, etc., are all that unusual.

I'm thinking more like unusual geopolitical entities, like counties.

I saw the "Shore Points" sign for I-195 on the NJ Turnpike in a photo somewhere else this morning; I suppose that might count.
"Shore Points" used to be common in NJ - it was the eastern destination on I-195 before being changed to Belmar, it was signed as the destination for 70 East at its origin by the Airport Circle in Pennsauken... NJDOT has stopped using it on new signs, but NJTA is still using it.

The signs at the 38/70 split are now [East NJ 38 To NJ TPK - Cherry Hill - Moorestown - Shopping Malls] and [East NJ 70 To (NJ 72 NJ 37) - Cherry Hill - Business Dist], which might qualify.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2014, 12:20:37 PM

It's no longer the case, but for several years NH state liquor stores were the only place you could buy NH lottery tickets.  At one point, the highway signs for the liquor stores included the legend "LOTTERY TICKETS" as well.

Until several years ago, it was "SWEEPS TICKETS."  I liked the uniqueness of that.

NWI_Irish96

Does a university count as an unusual destination (Indiana Toll Road, Exit 77)?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

pianocello

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 28, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Notre Dame is a census-designated place. Otherwise, it might.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

The Nature Boy

Thanks Ian for the pic, I hope you don't mind if I use it to point something out:

New Hampshire uses state initials when there is unlikely to be an ambiguity about which Portsmouth they're talking about. Given that sign's existence, I always found it weird that "Salem NH" isn't a control city on I-93. There's a Salem, MA not too far away so it seems more likely that confusion would exist.

Does any other state use state initials when signing a city within their state? I've only seen NH do it (in this case).

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 28, 2014, 01:52:17 PM

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2014, 12:20:37 PM

Until several years ago, it was "SWEEPS TICKETS."  I liked the uniqueness of that.
Had forgotten about that, even though I travel I-93 quite frequently, even when I was a kid riding with my parents.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cjk374

Quote from: pianocello on November 28, 2014, 07:40:03 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 28, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Notre Dame is a census-designated place. Otherwise, it might.

In the early to mid '90s, this stretch of I-20 was repaved and new signs installed replacing the original ones installed when the interstate was built.  The sign pictured below is still there now:

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bn33ez1n6k32zqbzobz2u

But exit signs for exit 84 in Ruston used to have this on all 3 advance exit signs in each direction.  All of the locals still call it "The Tech exit".  Here is one of the current advance exit signs: http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bn2tkz1n6rt1zqmzpcz2u

The next exit west of there (81) is Grambling:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bn3crz1n6fj5z26pzp6z2u

This sign was installed 2 years ago because of the opening of the museum.  The old signs were long stating the following control points and no LA 149 shield: 
GRAMBLING
GRAMBLING STATE UNIV

The current signs:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bn39fz1n6m9qz289zp6z2u
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 28, 2014, 08:11:41 PM
Thanks Ian for the pic, I hope you don't mind if I use it to point something out:

New Hampshire uses state initials when there is unlikely to be an ambiguity about which Portsmouth they're talking about. Given that sign's existence, I always found it weird that "Salem NH" isn't a control city on I-93. There's a Salem, MA not too far away so it seems more likely that confusion would exist.

Does any other state use state initials when signing a city within their state? I've only seen NH do it (in this case).

Virginia uses the state initials for Great Falls because there's another Great Falls right across the river in Maryland (theoretically the same Great Falls since the national park extends across the river around the actual falls).

Virginia also uses the state initials on distance signs listing the small town of Washington, Virginia, so as to distinguish it from the better-known US capital. The town is west of Warrenton and is often referred to as "Little Washington," a name popularized by the very famous Inn at Little Washington, a five-star restaurant and country inn located there.

jhuntin1

Before Indiana changed the control city on I-70 east from Indianapolis to Dayton, they always signed the control city "Columbus OH". There is a Columbus, Indiana, but it is south of Indianapolis on I-65 and never signed as a control city.

New signage from recent construction has changed it correctly, but the exit to I-74 west from I-465 used to refer to "Peoria Il" (note lower case L), which in a sans-serif font looks very confusing.

NE2

Quote from: jhuntin1 on November 30, 2014, 12:04:35 PM
New signage from recent construction has changed it correctly, but the exit to I-74 west from I-465 used to refer to "Peoria Il" (note lower case L), which in a sans-serif font looks very confusing.
Kim Jong II.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2014, 10:01:41 PM
Virginia uses the state initials for Great Falls because there's another Great Falls right across the river in Maryland (theoretically the same Great Falls since the national park extends across the river around the actual falls).

Since the falls themselves are technically entirely in Maryland, I suppose that makes sense, though the place name Great Falls is in Virginia (it's a conspiracy to confuse people).

I have seen a few signs in Maryland that read Great Falls MD.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TEG24601

I always loved the gigantic, all caps, DOWNTOWN, for the exit from I-75 to I-475 south of Flint.  Nothing else, just DOWNTOWN.

This has since been changed to DOWNTOWN, with Flint underneath.

Still nothing compared to "THRU TRAFFIC" on a couple of signs throughout the country.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Zeffy

I don't really get this sign, the destination legend has "Exits" like it was part of the destination (at this point, you already are in New Brunswick proper, so it's just a matter of where you would be trying to go).

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5006309,-74.4424154,3a,21.3y,123.44h,100.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSxPNMH8CqMrfn964mG7KTA!2e0
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.