News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unusual destinations on highway signs

Started by hbelkins, November 25, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

Quote from: bzakharin on December 08, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 02, 2014, 07:50:09 PM
There is also the infamous "Del Water Gap" on I-80 west. As someone once said, its a control geological formation. Yes, I realize there is a borough called Delaware Water Gap across the river in PA, but NJDOT likely doesn't. They don't even acknowledge the larger Stroudsburg PA!
It's probably referring to the national recreation area by that name, which is partially in NJ. After all, NJ  seems to be allergic to signing out of state locations when they're not in NYC, hence no Stroudsburg. Alternatively, it could be the Delaware Water Gap Toll Bridge, since NJ likes signing bridges, but I don't think anyone calls it that.
I beg to differ.  Stroudsburg is indeed signed on I-80 pull-through signs heading west.  Also, fixed your typo.

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 08, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
I don't know how common this is, but the unincorporated area of Cementville is one of the destinations for Exit 7 (IN 60) on I-65 in Indiana.

Unincorporated places are quite commonly used on exit signage in Kentucky. The most famous ones are probably Waddy and Peytona, which are listed for the I-64 KY 395 exit between Shelbyville in Frankfort. When that stretch of 64 was rebuilt, the new exit signs in one direction read "Peytona Waddy" instead of "Waddy Peytona." It cause a minor outburst and the Courier-Journal actually wrote a story about it.

http://archive.courier-journal.com/article/20110320/NEWS01/303210012/Peytona-Waddy-Locals-irked-by-highway-sign-change

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bzakharin

Quote from: signalman on December 08, 2014, 11:08:20 AM
There is also the infamous "Del Water Gap" on I-80 west. As someone once said, its a control geological formation. Yes, I realize there is a borough called Delaware Water Gap across the river in PA, but NJDOT likely doesn't. They don't even acknowledge the larger Stroudsburg PA!
It's probably referring to the national recreation area by that name, which is partially in NJ. After all, NJ  seems to be allergic to signing out of state locations when they're not in NYC, hence no Stroudsburg. Alternatively, it could be the Delaware Water Gap Toll Bridge, since NJ likes signing bridges, but I don't think anyone calls it that.
I beg to differ.  Stroudsburg is indeed signed on I-80 pull-through signs heading west.  Also, fixed your typo.
You are right, looks like it's first mentioned at Exit 26. Didn't notice it before. I still stand by my reason why it's omitted east of there.

signalman

Quote from: bzakharin on December 08, 2014, 11:35:33 AM
Quote from: signalman on December 08, 2014, 11:08:20 AM
You are right, looks like it's first mentioned at Exit 26. Didn't notice it before. I still stand by my reason why it's omitted east of there.
Yeah, east of exit 26, NJDOT will use NJ control cities.  Regardless of how small/unimportant they are (Netcong).

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on December 08, 2014, 11:18:45 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on December 08, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
I don't know how common this is, but the unincorporated area of Cementville is one of the destinations for Exit 7 (IN 60) on I-65 in Indiana.

Unincorporated places are quite commonly used on exit signage in Kentucky. The most famous ones are probably Waddy and Peytona, which are listed for the I-64 KY 395 exit between Shelbyville in Frankfort. When that stretch of 64 was rebuilt, the new exit signs in one direction read "Peytona Waddy" instead of "Waddy Peytona." It cause a minor outburst and the Courier-Journal actually wrote a story about it.

http://archive.courier-journal.com/article/20110320/NEWS01/303210012/Peytona-Waddy-Locals-irked-by-highway-sign-change

I've noticed similar activity in the Seattle area. The best example(s) is/are along State Route 512 south of Tacoma (a 12 mile long suburban freeway), where both "Parkland" and "South Hill" are used as control points at various locations along the freeway. Neither of these locations are cities; both are indeed CDPs. The farther north you go into Seattle (and likewise, the farther south you go into Seattle from northern areas), the less you'll see CDPs on freeway signs given the larger amount of cities (in place of CDPs which are more prevalent in rural environments, IMO).

bassoon1986

There are a good many unincorporated areas in Louisiana on Interstate exits. Most of them are along I-49. Lake End, Ajax, Chopin, Flora, Cypress, Kingston. There's a pair on I-20 outside of Minden that used to be towns along US 80: Ada and Taylor

NE2

What the hell is unusual about an unincorporated place name?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
As a followup to the first page's stadium bit, I-5 and I-90 near downtown Seattle have BGSs that advertise the stadiums:

But, I wouldn't consider their adverts as being "unusual" because they're fairly important things you might want to visit while in the city.

My only beef with this sign is that they use the letter "E" for "Edgar", when those not from the area will think "E" means "East".
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 08, 2014, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
As a followup to the first page's stadium bit, I-5 and I-90 near downtown Seattle have BGSs that advertise the stadiums:

But, I wouldn't consider their adverts as being "unusual" because they're fairly important things you might want to visit while in the city.

My only beef with this sign is that they use the letter "E" for "Edgar", when those not from the area will think "E" means "East".

Indeed. Even I, a local, read it as "East Martinez Drive".

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 08, 2014, 02:18:04 PM
There are a good many unincorporated areas in Louisiana on Interstate exits. Most of them are along I-49. Lake End, Ajax, Chopin, Flora, Cypress, Kingston. There's a pair on I-20 outside of Minden that used to be towns along US 80: Ada and Taylor

Also on I-20:  Exit 93, Sibley.  Not to be confused with the incorporated town of Sibley 3 miles south of Minden.

Exit 132: Start.  Birthplace of Tim McGraw.

Exit 138: Archibald

Come to think of it...I think most of the exits east of Monroe have mostly unincorporated areas on the signs.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: NE2 on December 08, 2014, 03:07:23 PM
What the hell is unusual about an unincorporated place name?

You seem to be on the defensive as of late. What's the matter with you?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NE2

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 09, 2014, 07:56:49 PM
What's the matter with you?

Deepseated daddy issues with a sprinkling of OCD and a goat fetish.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

talllguy

Zeffy

Haha, that reminds me of this image on Trenton, New Jersey's website:

And no matter what anyone says, I still think Trenton's future is bright, especially now that this mayor is slowly starting to undo the damage caused by Tony Mack.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SP Cook

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 28, 2014, 02:50:27 PM
Does a university count as an unusual destination (Indiana Toll Road, Exit 77)?

Two college related ones I can think of. 

The split between I-78 and US 22 outside Lehigh, PA is signed "Lehigh University (I-78) / Lehigh Valley's Other Colleges (US 22)"  Kind of a putdown of the "other colleges".  "Where did you go to school?  One of the Lehigh Valley's other colleges."

The last exit in WV, 155 on I-79 is simply signed "West Virginia University" and WV 7 with no indication of the city or any street name or otherwise.  Because of the far flung nature of that mis-designed school's campus, if traveling north it is not necessarily the proper exit depending on what WVU building you are going to, and you pass through, due to inappropriate annexations,  three speed trap jurisdictions on the access road before reaching even Morgantown's city line.  Also, confusingly, flip up signs direct you not to use it on gamedays for football stadium access, although you really should.

hotdogPi

In Lowell, MA, at the 38/110/133 intersection, there are signs saying "110 West - Chelmsford - Worcester". Do these signs predate I-495? If they came after I-495 was built, why was Worcester put on the sign?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on December 11, 2014, 07:06:04 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 28, 2014, 02:50:27 PM
Does a university count as an unusual destination (Indiana Toll Road, Exit 77)?

Two college related ones I can think of. 

The split between I-78 and US 22 outside Lehigh, PA is signed "Lehigh University (I-78) / Lehigh Valley's Other Colleges (US 22)"  Kind of a putdown of the "other colleges".  "Where did you go to school?  One of the Lehigh Valley's other colleges."

The last exit in WV, 155 on I-79 is simply signed "West Virginia University" and WV 7 with no indication of the city or any street name or otherwise.  Because of the far flung nature of that mis-designed school's campus, if traveling north it is not necessarily the proper exit depending on what WVU building you are going to, and you pass through, due to inappropriate annexations,  three speed trap jurisdictions on the access road before reaching even Morgantown's city line.  Also, confusingly, flip up signs direct you not to use it on gamedays for football stadium access, although you really should.

Not only that, but the exit is really for a county route (a fractional one, either) and it completely leaves off US 19, because people will use that exit trying to get to Beckley (or so WVDOT seems to believe).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Regarding universities, an unusual sign I've seen many times may be found on southbound US-29 in Charlottesville at the point where the bypass splits off to the west and the business route heads down Emmet Street towards the University of Virginia. The overhead sign uses the "V-Sabre" logo as though it were a highway shield. I've never been sure whether it's meant to refer to the University in general or to the athletics facilities, as the logo is generally associated with the athletic department. See Street View image: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0580182,-78.4949419,3a,75y,179.91h,85.63t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skkF7SUSDrwQpVGIvsesGKQ!2e0

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on December 02, 2014, 03:40:23 PM
I feel like "Allentown" should be disambiguated on I-195 in NJ. I've lived in NJ for 23 years and still haven't heard of it except for the control city and exit destination. Allentown, PA, however, is close enough and pretty well known, though there isn't a very good way to get there from where it's used as a destination. Maybe via US 1 and the PA Turnpike?

There's always going to be cases of small towns that have identical names to other places.  There's Jersey Shore, PA on I-80, which one could interpret as a shortcut to the Jersey Shore.  Or any amount of Washington Exits.  A short bit away on I-195 from Allentown, NJ is an exit for Georgia.  But any state shouldn't have to constantly put Destination, ST on every single sign to clarify that the destination is in that state.

BTW, if anyone was that terribly confused that an exit for Allentown on I-195 lead them to the wrong Allentown, they'd figure it out in about 1 mile from the exit.  Nice, small town.  One of the few in NJ where you should always go about 2 mph below the speed limit, just to be on the safe side.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2014, 03:53:43 PM
Nice, small town.  One of the few in NJ where you should always go about 2 mph below the speed limit, just to be on the safe side.

Don't get caught in Princeton doing anything above the speed limit, ESPECIALLY in a 25 zone. Princeton cops are unbelievable with that kind of shit.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2014, 02:49:18 PM
In Lowell, MA, at the 38/110/133 intersection, there are signs saying "110 West - Chelmsford - Worcester". Do these signs predate I-495? If they came after I-495 was built, why was Worcester put on the sign?
The LGS itself, no; but the destination legends may have very well carried over from previous-generation signs.

Given the intersection's location with respect to I-495 (which actually runs south of Lowell); the reason for placing WORCESTER on that one LGS for MA 110 westbound is that it's the most logical way for traffic in the vicinity to get to I-495 South & Worcester.  This particular LGS has no bearing on whether I-495 exists or not; the info.'s valid either way. 

For one coming from MA 38 southbound approaching this intersection (from the north); one way to get to I-495 South would involve taking MA 110 West to Gorham St. and following to the Lowell Connector (it starts at Gorham St.).  Then taking the Connector to I-495.

While one can simply stay on MA 38 south and pick up I-495 as well; most would use that way as a means to pick up I-495 North.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2014, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on December 02, 2014, 03:40:23 PM
I feel like "Allentown" should be disambiguated on I-195 in NJ. I've lived in NJ for 23 years and still haven't heard of it except for the control city and exit destination. Allentown, PA, however, is close enough and pretty well known, though there isn't a very good way to get there from where it's used as a destination. Maybe via US 1 and the PA Turnpike?

There's always going to be cases of small towns that have identical names to other places.  There's Jersey Shore, PA on I-80, which one could interpret as a shortcut to the Jersey Shore.  Or any amount of Washington Exits.  A short bit away on I-195 from Allentown, NJ is an exit for Georgia.  But any state shouldn't have to constantly put Destination, ST on every single sign to clarify that the destination is in that state.

BTW, if anyone was that terribly confused that an exit for Allentown on I-195 lead them to the wrong Allentown, they'd figure it out in about 1 mile from the exit.  Nice, small town.  One of the few in NJ where you should always go about 2 mph below the speed limit, just to be on the safe side.
I would disambiguate Jersey Shore too. Washingtons get a pass because the one in DC is far enough away to not be signed on any freeway. Those Washingtons that are closer to DC do have their state called out on the overheads. Plus I feel like most people know that there are like three Washingtons in every state.

Actually, about that last part, what if there are multiple towns of the same name in the same state? There is an exit for "Red Bank" on I-295. The (semi?)famous shore resort of the same name is 85 miles away.

Eth

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 11, 2014, 03:07:07 PM
Regarding universities, an unusual sign I've seen many times may be found on southbound US-29 in Charlottesville at the point where the bypass splits off to the west and the business route heads down Emmet Street towards the University of Virginia. The overhead sign uses the "V-Sabre" logo as though it were a highway shield. I've never been sure whether it's meant to refer to the University in general or to the athletics facilities, as the logo is generally associated with the athletic department. See Street View image: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0580182,-78.4949419,3a,75y,179.91h,85.63t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skkF7SUSDrwQpVGIvsesGKQ!2e0

Not only that, it seems to imply that it's the UVA business route, leading one to wonder where the mainline is.

admtrap

Quote from: bzakharin on December 11, 2014, 04:22:58 PM

I would disambiguate Jersey Shore too. Washingtons get a pass because the one in DC is far enough away to not be signed on any freeway. Those Washingtons that are closer to DC do have their state called out on the overheads. Plus I feel like most people know that there are like three Washingtons in every state.

Actually, about that last part, what if there are multiple towns of the same name in the same state? There is an exit for "Red Bank" on I-295. The (semi?)famous shore resort of the same name is 85 miles away.

I think most states do a pretty good job of avoiding identical town names in the same state, although occasionally a neighborhood of one city might share a name with a wholly unrelated city (I'm looking at you, Westwood, CA and Westwood (L.A.), CA).  The most egregious offender I can think of off the top of my head would be Virginia, where county names and city names could lead to confusion - Richmond City is nowhere near Richmond County, and you have such gems as James City County.

codyg1985

There are two Jackson's relatively close to each other around Memphis (Jackson, TN and Jackson, MS). The control city for I-55 SB is "Jackson Miss" to keep from confusing it with Jackson, TN along I-40 to the northeast.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.