News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rankings and the colors

Started by tolbs17, December 22, 2019, 02:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

What's the main purpose to have colors when it comes to the rankings?

http://prntscr.com/qedts7

I guess it comes like this?

Parking Lot - light gray

Dirt Road - light gray

Frontage Road - dark gray

Arterial - dirty blue

County Road - light blue

State Route - dark blue

US Highway - purple

Expressway - black

Turnpike - dark green

Freeway - green

Interstate - light green

Likes this forum way way too much - gray and blue?

Regional Mod - Orange

Global Mod - Dark Red

Admin - Red

so are these just random colors selected for rankings? I get the moderator and admin part but the normal users? Is there any reasons why those specific colors were chosen or was it just random?

Also, I find it interesting that I don't see rickmastfan67 or SSOWorld even when they are logged in.

-Tolbs

Max Rockatansky

Aren't there better things to do than obsess over minute details of the looks of an Internet forum?  Then again, when was 17 the answer probably was "no"  this time of year. 

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 02:53:48 PM
Aren't there better things to do than obsess over minute details of the looks of an Internet forum?  Then again, when was 17 the answer probably was "no"  this time of year.
This is a question, i'm not obsessing over anything. I just want to find out why that is. Just asking why those specific colors were chosen.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2019, 02:56:00 PM
This is a question, i'm not obsessing over anything. I just want to find out why that is. Just asking why those specific colors were chosen.

The point I was trying to make is "does it really matter?"  

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 03:00:04 PM

The point I was trying to make is "does it really matter?"  
I guess not? Ok?

formulanone

Heh, I kind of wonder this every so often...knew that red was for mods, but there's a darker shade for Global Mods, but then the colors are all other the place.

US Highway appears to be a purple-blue color.

DOT Employee is dark gray in color; seems to override the ranking.

Someone had to type that in, so an admin took it seriously for at least 5-10 minutes...

US 89

I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of it is SMF default, from what I've observed on other forums

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2019, 02:41:04 PM
Also, I find it interesting that I don't see rickmastfan67 or SSOWorld even when they are logged in.

Intentional.  Nobody but other Admins can see me & SSOWorld when we're online.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 22, 2019, 11:02:26 PM

And there's no way that you can make it so someone can't see that you're online?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2019, 11:24:19 PM

And there's no way that you can make it so someone can't see that you're online?

Why do you think I said 'Intentional' above?  I prefer to be hidden.  Why do you think I gave my account the custom title of "The Invisible One"?

DaBigE

Go to the Profile tab (below the News bar) > Modify Profile > Account Settings > Uncheck "Show others my online status"
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 22, 2019, 11:41:45 PM

Why do you think I said 'Intentional' above?  I prefer to be hidden.  Why do you think I gave my account the custom title of "The Invisible One"?
Oh, I see what you did there... haha it's nice that you prefer to be hidden. You did it intentionally.

Quote from: DaBigE on December 23, 2019, 12:16:22 AM

Go to the Profile tab (below the News bar) > Modify Profile > Account Settings > Uncheck "Show others my online status"
Ok, thanks.

Scott5114

It's just something the forum software does. Why is that feature there? Why did they choose the colors they did? Don't know.

We get questions like this a lot from a decent number of users, and it's important for everyone to understand that for the most part the forum works a lot like the Web browser you use to access it. We can install themes and extensions, and change the settings that are available to us, but the programming was done by a team of people that had a goal in mind of creating a general software package that can be used by thousands of forums across the Internet. It's not a custom job just for AARoads.

So we don't have fine-grained control over it. If there's a change that someone thinks would be a good idea, that's something we can look into, but it needs to be a setting we can change or an extension we can install. Mucking around with the actual code that runs the forum is a bad idea because unless you understand how all the various parts work, a seemingly minor change or addition can break things or cause security issues. This is why, while we appreciate suggestions or questions about forum features, we very rarely can actually implement them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.