CHALLENGE: Driving coast-to-coast without using numbered routes?

Started by TheGrassGuy, November 05, 2020, 07:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

EDIT: CNGL-Leudimin is the winner!! :spin: :clap: :spin:

I was wondering, would it be possible to drive from coast to coast without using any numbered routes? No interstates, U.S. routes, or even state routes? Just plain old thorofares?

* Unsigned routes are allowed.
* Important: I'm now allowing business, county, forest, secondary, and Indian routes, regardless of their signage status
* Roads which used to be signed, but aren't anymore are allowed (e.g. old alignments, Route 66).
* A distinction is to be maintained between numbered routes, and roads and streets that have numbers in their names. That is, something like "First St", "3400 S", or even "County Route 1600W"–provided its name is written only on a signblade, and not a separate shield–would be allowed, but "State Route 1", "Secondary Route 44", or a signed "County Route 32" would not.
* The only requirement is that roads are marked on Google Maps as roads. Doesn't matter if they're low-clearance, gated off, or even nonexistent.
* Example itinerary: NY to SF; first three steps are Macombs Dam Bridge, Jerome Ave, Mosholu Pkwy; last three steps are Linden Ave, Grand Ave, Mission Rd/St. Doesn't have to be those two cities, any two on opposite coasts will do.

I mean, obviously such a route probably does exist (it would probably have to pass through Minnesota too, because of the Mississippi River), but has anyone actually tried plotting one? Like, listing hundreds of different roads to take, or making a bajillion separate directions lists on Google Maps? It's a fun topic; I'm surprised no one here's ever thought of it (to my knowledge, at least). Maybe not, actually, because it's really tricky!
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Max Rockatansky

I could definitely get you out of the Bay Area and over the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Sherman Pass Road).  The trouble is then you run into a wall with US 395.  Los Angeles or San Diego would be a better starting point given the Mojave/Sonoran Deserts have fewer geographic obstacles (and non numbered roads crossing the State Line to Arizona). 

So question, do Numbered County Routes or Numbered Forest Routes also count?  If so, then this is a way harder challenge. 

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2020, 07:19:42 PM

So question, do Numbered County Routes or Numbered Forest Routes also count?  If so, then this is a way harder challenge.

Only if they are signed. And by signed, I mean big signs, not little tiny markers on the side that non-roadgeeks would gloss over.

If you see any signs, I will judge them on a case-by-case basis.

TheGrassGuy

Y'know, I'm now starting to rethink the possibility of this challenge. Gulp. :-(

The Midwest is definitely the easiest part of this; neat grids of rural farm roads (which btw don't count as numbered routes in my book, even if they have names like "S 2000 W" or whatever. The east might be a little tricky, but probably doable if I try hard enough.

But west of the Rockies is just hell.

Max Rockatansky

As far as getting you out of California it is doable so long as you originate south of CA 58.  It takes some really badass roads to get to Arizona but it can be done.  The truck is getting to either the Mojave or Sonoran Desert but not boxed into having to take a State Maintained road. An example I would use to get out of Los Angeles to the Mojave:

-  San Fernando Road
-  Sierra Highway
-  Railroad Avenue
-  Bouquet Canyon Road
-  Seco Canyon Road
-  Copper Hill Drive
-  San Francisquito Canyon Road

That route would avoid the CA 14U segment of Sierra Highway.  There is Los Angeles County Route N2 at Elizabeth Lake Road which must be joined, but that's not a state facility.  From there think that I could come up with a route to Nevada via the Mojave Preserve.  It might be possible via old rail siding and mine roads to head through the Sonoran Desert to cross into Arizona via Cibola.  The Bradshaw Trail definitely is the way to go to get towards Cibola, so a more southerly route is probably needed for that. 

Dirt Roads

I believe that the first "unnumbered" crossing of the Mississippi is the Parrish Avenue Bridge in Elk River, but it might be signed as CR-42.  The next one might be better, the University Bridge in St. Cloud.

Max Rockatansky

Looking at the revised description if California is the starting point then I'm of the opinion that we should look for a eastward route from San Diego, Long Beach, or Los Angeles to Cibola, Arizona.  I believe that the KOFA preserve can be reached via Cibola without having to use a State Highway.  If the KOFA Preserve and I-10 can be crossed then the next biggest obstacle would likely be the mountains of Gila County.  Maybe a swing northward through Prescott National Forest and onward to the Colorado Plateau would be better?  The Navajo Nation has a ton of back roads to get out of Arizona from there.

TheGrassGuy

Possible strategies:
- Avoid Texas and Kentucky at all costs. Numbered routes into the thousands.
- Use the Midwest to full potential. Lots of plain grid roads.
- Cross the Rockies using the (probably unsigned) forest routes in Grand Mesa NF (https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrPmyu5ZNbePsTg58)
- Looks like the northeast is harder than I thought, actually. Probably gonna end in Savannah, GA, or Greenville, NC instead.
- Cross Missouri River at Plattsmouth or Bellevue
- Cross Mississippi at Elk City

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 05, 2020, 07:48:09 PM
Possible strategies:
- Avoid Texas at all costs
- Use the Midwest to full potential
- Cross the Rockies using the (probably unsigned) forest routes in Grand Mesa NF (Flagpole Mountain
Colorado 81647
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrPmyu5ZNbePsTg58)
- Looks like the northeast is harder than I thought, actually. Probably gonna end in Savannah GA instead.

The problem with the Rockies is that most of the major passes are State Maintained.  New Mexico is dodgy with all the random State Highways. 

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2020, 07:49:55 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 05, 2020, 07:48:09 PM
Possible strategies:
- Avoid Texas at all costs
- Use the Midwest to full potential
- Cross the Rockies using the (probably unsigned) forest routes in Grand Mesa NF (Flagpole Mountain
Colorado 81647
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrPmyu5ZNbePsTg58)
- Looks like the northeast is harder than I thought, actually. Probably gonna end in Savannah GA instead.

The problem with the Rockies is that most of the major passes are State Maintained.  New Mexico is dodgy with all the random State Highways.

I know. But Grand Mesa NF has plenty of unnumbered routes.

TheGrassGuy

CA-AZ-UT-CO-NE-IA-MN-WI-IL-IN-OH-WV-VA

(Can't end south of VA, because KY is in the way)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2020, 07:45:28 PM
Looking at the revised description if California is the starting point then I'm of the opinion that we should look for a eastward route from San Diego, Long Beach, or Los Angeles to Cibola, Arizona.  I believe that the KOFA preserve can be reached via Cibola without having to use a State Highway.  If the KOFA Preserve and I-10 can be crossed then the next biggest obstacle would likely be the mountains of Gila County.  Maybe a swing northward through Prescott National Forest and onward to the Colorado Plateau would be better?  The Navajo Nation has a ton of back roads to get out of Arizona from there.

The problem is, even though there are many back roads, a lot of them T-intersect with numbered routes. So we need to be looking for 4-way intersections.

formulanone

Hell, I think this is almost impossible with just state-level routes. But I'm also still curious if it's possible.

Scott5114

Don't forget that a lot of (most?) VA and NC backroads are secondaries, as well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 05, 2020, 08:01:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2020, 07:45:28 PM

The problem is, even though there are many back roads, a lot of them T-intersect with numbered routes. So we need to be looking for 4-way intersections.

That's why I'm thinking the Bradshaw Mountains are the answer.  There are plenty of old mine roads south of Prescott to get you towards said city.  From there are even more mine roads and old alignment of US 89 to get you towards Coconino National Forest.  I believe that there is enough old NOTR and US 66 alignments to get towards Flagstaff.  You can get out of Flagstaff on Lake Mary Road toward the Colorado Plateau. 

I'm trying to think of a way over the Cascade Mountains in California that doesn't involve a State Highway.  I think Nevada and Utah might be less of an obstacle (especially Nevada).

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2020, 08:16:46 PM
Don't forget that a lot of (most?) VA and NC backroads are secondaries, as well.

I revised the description. Both of these are now permissible.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 05, 2020, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2020, 08:16:46 PM

I revised the description. Both of these are now permissible.

That puts my origins Route out of Los Angeles back in play.  The Marine Base in Barstow is an obstacle but it can be gotten around on existing roads north for the City.  Either way the only real bet is to start turning south somewhere from Amboy toward Cibola.  It might be possible to cross Joshua Tree National Park and Box Canyon Road to get near the Bradshaw Trail.

noelbotevera

Here's a start in New Jersey. I'll see if I can't work out Pennsylvania.

EDIT: This used state routes for a few blocks in New Brunswick, now fixed.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

ozarkman417

Avoid Missouri, if you are going to count the lettered highways (since they are lettered, I suppose you can use them in this challenge). Perhaps up north you might get by up until the MO river, but the Ozarks are a bit of a mess in terms of county roads.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 05, 2020, 08:49:29 PM
Avoid Missouri, if you are going to count the lettered highways. Perhaps up north you might get by up until the MO river, but the Ozarks are a bit of a mess in terms of county roads.

See above; I made an exception for county routes, forest routes, and secondary systems. MO isn't in my plan anyway.

noelbotevera

Avoid Missouri, if you are going to count the lettered highways (since they are lettered, I suppose you can use them in this challenge). Perhaps up north you might get by up until the MO river, but the Ozarks are a bit of a mess in terms of county roads.
I do know you can cross the Mississippi at St. Louis using the McKinley or MLK Bridges, while crossing into Kansas at Kansas City is easy. I think your best bet is to stay south of the Missouri River and parallel US 50 across the state; though my attempt forced me south towards Rolla and west towards Lake of the Ozarks. Turns out a lot of lettered routes end offset from each other and you've gotta use a state route to connect them.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 05, 2020, 08:56:16 PM
I do know you can cross the Mississippi at St. Louis using the McKinley or MLK Bridges, while crossing into Kansas at Kansas City is easy. I think your best bet is to stay south of the Missouri River and parallel US 50 across the state; though my attempt forced me south towards Rolla and west towards Lake of the Ozarks. Turns out a lot of lettered routes end offset from each other and you've gotta use a state route to connect them.

Turns out southern Missouri is more hilly than northern Missouri (at least the roads are more twisty).

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2020, 08:19:03 PM
I think Nevada and Utah might be less of an obstacle (especially Nevada).

Most of Nevada is one north-south oriented mountain range after another.  The roads that go up into those generally dead-end, and most likely start from a T-intersection on a north-south state or US highway.  Maybe this could be done on an ATV, but anything road-legal, no way. 

hotdogPi

If we can find a north-south path where every road it intersects is numbered, we can say that it's impossible.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Revive 755

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 05, 2020, 08:56:16 PM
I do know you can cross the Mississippi at St. Louis using the McKinley or MLK Bridges, while crossing into Kansas at Kansas City is easy.

Except the McKinley is only accessible on the Illinois side via IL 3.  The Eads looks like it can be accessed without any numbered routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.