When did states start using "End" signs?

Started by usends, July 11, 2021, 02:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

I found this in the AASHO meeting minutes from 1932:

I'm pretty sure some states never implemented that recommendation.  But for those that did, when did they start?  One of the earliest "END" signs I've seen is in a 1949 photo in George R. Stewart's book, where US 40-50 ended in S.F.  (He also reported that no similar signage existed at the other end in Atlantic City.)
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

hbelkins

End signs are extremely rare in Kentucky. First place I ever saw one was in West Virginia (end of WV 3 at WV 10 in West Hamlin) in my youth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

END signs and BEGIN signs are extremely rare in Tennessee as well.  I merely asked about END/BEGIN US 412 because it suddenly becomes signed SR 99 in lieu of designated SR 99 past I-65.  Well they actually but said signs up just merely by asking about if something could be done.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 12, 2021, 08:31:33 AM
END signs and BEGIN signs are extremely rare in Tennessee as well.  I merely asked about END/BEGIN US 412 because it suddenly becomes signed SR 99 in lieu of designated SR 99 past I-65.  Well they actually but said signs up just merely by asking about if something could be done.

Wasn't 99 the old state number for 412 prior to it being extended, and now it becomes a hidden state route? And is that old triangle TENN marker still up in Hohenwald?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2021, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 12, 2021, 08:31:33 AM

Wasn't 99 the old state number for 412 prior to it being extended, and now it becomes a hidden state route? And is that old triangle TENN marker still up in Hohenwald?

I didn't see it last back in January.  Yes SR 99 is the old state route number.  I asked about a END sign for US 412 since the signs just change to SR 99 with no notice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.