News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Over-freeway SPUIs with horizontal signals

Started by SkyPesos, July 11, 2021, 07:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Going to note here first that I don't need examples of horizontal signals in under-freeway SPUIs, as those are common.

Normally in an SPUI with vertical signals on a centralized signal installation (a monotube or long mast arm), the left turn off-ramp signals are angled about 45 degrees to face the off ramp. But with horizontal signals, I imagine that you can't really angle it that much because of the horizontal length of the signal. Some solutions I could think of are to use shorter mast arms, with one facing the off-ramp, or not have an overhead signal at all, but I don't know how this is done in reality. Any examples of horizontal signals on over-freeway SPUIs out there?

CoreySamson

There's one in Plano, TX at US-75 and Parker Road (complete with Texas U-turns, of course!), and it indeed does use shorter mast arms (though I have no idea why the signal centered in the photo has its signals hung a foot below the mast arm).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SkyPesos

Found one in Calgary between AB 8 and Macleod Trail. Though with this one, it seems like that the signals for both the through arterial and the off-ramps are somewhat far away from their respective stop line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.