How to stripe a multilane roundabout

Started by Tom958, August 22, 2021, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

These island-like four-line lane markings strike me as a great deal more comprehensible than what's in the MUTCD, or anything else I've ever seen. They're at US 41 and Fruitvale Road in Sarasota, though there could be numerous other installations AFAIK.

1995hoo

I note the HAWK signal. The combination of that plus a roundabout will give certain forum members no end of heartburn!  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2021, 01:57:59 PM
I note the HAWK signal. The combination of that plus a roundabout will give certain forum members no end of heartburn!  :-D

I'm not sure I like the potential for those to cause traffic backups into the roundabout... but I would love to see more multilane roundabouts striped like this.

Tom958

Quote from: US 89 on August 22, 2021, 02:02:28 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2021, 01:57:59 PM

I'm not sure I like the potential for those to cause traffic backups into the roundabout... but I would love to see more multilane roundabouts striped like this.

I didn't notice the HAWKs, and that's not what the post is about. However, I'd suspect that the primary hazard to pedestrians at roundabouts comes from drivers leaving the roundabout, and I wouldn't be surprised if HAWKs were effective at dealing with that.

jakeroot

The exit from YYJ Airport in Sidney, BC (Victoria) has roundabout with lanes separated by more than just a line. In this case, brick paving is used (GSV):

Quote from: jakeroot on September 06, 2017, 11:49:57 PM
Along with the construction of this relatively large dumbell interchange, several roundabouts were added near the airport, including the only proper turbo roundabout that I've seen in North America:

Tom958

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2021, 03:23:14 PM
The exit from YYJ Airport in Sidney, BC (Victoria) has roundabout with lanes separated by more than just a line. In this case, brick paving is used (GSV):

Gee, I dunno. With the road at the top being one way into the roundabout, the one-lane part of the circle is useful only for U turns. The fancy paint markings block access to it, making it useless to people who obey traffic law.  https://www.google.com/maps/@48.6376413,-123.4334297,127m/data=!3m1!1e3

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Tom958 on August 22, 2021, 01:55:58 PM
These island-like four-line lane markings strike me as a great deal more comprehensible than what's in the MUTCD, or anything else I've ever seen. They're at US 41 and Fruitvale Road in Sarasota, though there could be numerous other installations AFAIK.

Just wondering how well this works in busy traffic.  From my experience overseas, two lanes in the traffic circle seems too little for the intersection of two four-lane streets.

kalvado

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 22, 2021, 04:37:19 PM

Just wondering how well this works in busy traffic.  From my experience overseas, two lanes in the traffic circle seems too little for the intersection of two four-lane streets.
Just follow the SOP:
Build first, think later, counter traffic congestion by press articles telling how great roundabouts are.

roadfro

I like this. I'd be interested to see if there have been any studies on this style of marking to determine whether it generates better driver comprehension and lower rates of errant lane changes within the circulating roadway area.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tradephoric

kphoger

Quote from: tradephoric on August 23, 2021, 01:06:02 PM
Here are some recently constructed dual line lane marking roundabouts in Fort Myers, Florida:

Ooh, I like!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Then there's Sterling Heights, MI.  Infamous enough that it is locally known simply as "The Roundabout".  I've driven it and survived, but never knew how it worked out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6014412,-83.0312339,96m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

tradephoric

The other idea was to paint a big bright blue line between the double lines to further direct traffic through the roundabout, similar to what you see at Charlotte Motor Speedway (also similar idea to the example Jake posted above):

JoePCool14

The striping just looks stupidly excessive to me, and the usage of HAWKs coming in and out of the roundabout (implying heavy pedestrian traffic) just makes me ask... Why not just use a traffic signal here?!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tradephoric

Watch the grey car navigate through the roundabout at 0:42.  A lot of mistakes were made that day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXst6sNUFDk

1995hoo

^^^

Unfortunately, that sort of nonsense isn't uncommon. My late sister-in-law, who lived in Viera, was terrified of the roundabout on Wickham Road near the Target because so many people just drove through it however they pleased paying no attention to yielding, using the correct lane, or using blinkers; she always went around via the far side of I-95 specifically to avoid that roundabout. Doesn't surprise me at all to see someone making a mess of it. At least in that video there were no crashes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tradephoric

They restriped the roundabout at Main & Cemetery in Hilliard, Ohio as it had a history of being a high crash roundabout.  I like the double hash lines and how they added an additional thru arrow at the exiting approach of the roundabout to highlight that the "thru" arrow means drivers need to exit the roundabout. 

Drivers don't necessarily understand what a "thru" arrow is directing them to do at a roundabout.  Does a "thru" arrow mean continue circulating around the roundabout?  Here's an example where the "thru" arrow is directing drivers to continue around the circle.  We just shouldn't assume drivers understand what a "thru" arrow means at a roundabout and confusion can lead to crashes.

hotdogPi

The second image doesn't look like a new roundabout – it looks like a traditional rotary that has been restriped.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tradephoric

Quote from: 1 on August 24, 2021, 08:34:35 AM
The second image doesn't look like a new roundabout – it looks like a traditional rotary that has been restriped.

That's really my point though.  Do drivers make the distinction between whether they are driving through a modern roundabout vs driving through an old style rotary?  To your average Joe they are driving through a circle.  Yet in one circle the "thru" arrow means you must continue circulating where in another circle the "thru" arrow means you must exit.  I'd be confused too.

MCRoads

What I wish FL had done there is putting mountable median curbs instead of those markings.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadfro

Quote from: tradephoric on August 24, 2021, 08:30:17 AM
Drivers don't necessarily understand what a "thru" arrow is directing them to do at a roundabout.  Does a "thru" arrow mean continue circulating around the roundabout?  Here's an example where the "thru" arrow is directing drivers to continue around the circle.  We just shouldn't assume drivers understand what a "thru" arrow means at a roundabout and confusion can lead to crashes.

I think you do have a bit of a point here.

I think it would be a bit more helpful if agencies started using the fish hook arrows in advance of a roundabout (both on signs and pavement) to encourage proper lane alignment, but then use standard arrows within the roundabout itself to encourage the proper movements within the circulating roadway. Marking-wise, I'd treat the circulating roadway like a bunch of turn lanes with at least two sets of arrows between each leg–that along with the more distinctive lane division markings of the OP, might be a big help to getting people accustomed to navigating these things correctly.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: tradephoric on August 24, 2021, 08:43:18 AM
Do drivers make the distinction between whether they are driving through a modern roundabout vs driving through an old style rotary?  To your average Joe they are driving through a circle.

Absolutely correct.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

It does seem that some of the design characteristics of roundabouts, particularly the arrows, and signage diagrammatics, would make us think FHWA views roundabouts as a single intersection. But most drivers seem to see them as, as has been pointed out above, circulating roadway with several intersections. If that's truly case, then individual drivers are going to look at those arrows differently, with it helping as many drivers as it hurts.

I have to wonder whether we should just not have any arrows at all. Arrows leading up to the roundabout, and then nothing in the circle.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
It does seem that some of the design characteristics of roundabouts, particularly the arrows, and signage diagrammatics, would make us think FHWA views roundabouts as a single intersection. But most drivers seem to see them as, as has been pointed out above, circulating roadway with several intersections. If that's truly case, then individual drivers are going to look at those arrows differently, with it helping as many drivers as it hurts.

I have to wonder whether we should just not have any arrows at all. Arrows leading up to the roundabout, and then nothing in the circle.

I don't think most normal people think of a roundabout as numerous intersections - they're not going to say I'm on Road A, then at the intersection of Road A and B, turn left, then at Road A and Road C, turn left, then at Road A and Road D, turn right.  They're going to say something to the effect of "in the roundabout, exit at the 3rd exit", or "exit onto Route 123 West".

That said, I don't know if most drivers are really going to have the time to look at lane markings, signage, painted arrows and other traffic, especially on smaller roundabouts.  The better drivers will probably look at signage before they enter the roundabout to figure which lane to be in, but absent that, drivers will just continue around the circle until the need to exit, regardless of any paint in the roadway.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2021, 12:56:38 PM

Heh.  Welcome to MA in the 1980s.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.