What are the closest highways to where you went to college?

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 04, 2021, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

For Northern Illinois University:
State: IL 38 is on the south edge of campus.
Interstates: It's about 2 miles from campus to I-88.
US: It's about 12 miles west of campus to US 51 and about the same south to US 30.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bwana39

TX-11, TX-24, and TX-50 run adjacent to the campus. TX-224 runs along the western edge of the campus property a mile or so west of the campus. IH-30 is less than ten miles to the south.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

oscar

Stanford University:

Interstate 280 slices right through the ~14-square-mile campus. That's about 13 square miles more than the University really needs, but Leland Stanford donated his entire farm, and forbade the University from selling any of it -- except the new Interstate offered a rare opportunity to get paid for some excess campus lands, which probably made the eminent domain proceedings among the friendliest ever.

Bordering the campus, and also closer to its core: CA 82 (El Camino Real), and Santa Clara County G3 (Page Mill Road).

Not where I went to school, but Autoroute 740 cuts through the Laval University campus in Quebec city.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TravelingBethelite

I currently commute to school from farther away in Columbia, but from the heart of the Mizzou campus:

Interstate: I-70 runs through the north side of Columbia, about 1.75 miles away.
US: US 40's concurrency with I-70 is slightly closer, but standalone US 63 is about 1.8 miles to the east.
MO: Campus is surrounded by state highways, with both MO 163 and 763 about a third of a mile away on either side. MO 740/Stadium Boulevard runs east-west about a half mile south of campus.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

okroads

My first college was near the interchange of I-44 & I-240, which also have duplexes with US 62 & OK 3. I finished college at a university on US 77, a couple miles west of I-35 & OK 66.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Skye

Shawnee State University, Portsmouth, OH
US 23 runs right along the west side of campus (also US 23 Business terminates at US 23 at the west end of campus)
OH 73/OH 104 terminate together at US 23 on the west end of campus
I-64 down in Grayson, KY

bing101

Sacramento State University has US-50, CA-99, CA-51, I-5, I-80 and I-305 near the campus

adventurernumber1

From a roadgeek standpoint, I have a real treat on campus, as Interstate 75 is flowing, traffic and all, literally right in front of the campus (not even trees hinder the view).  :D

So that takes care of the interstate, but traveling south briefly will lead you to I-75's Exit 333, which is where GA 52 resides.

And traveling north for a slightly longer distance will land you at I-75's Exit 336, intersecting US 41/US 76.

So ultimately my college is no more than 2 miles from any of these highways (travel-wise), and physically I-75 is essentially right there.  :)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 89

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 05, 2021, 06:32:08 PM
From a roadgeek standpoint, I have a real treat on campus, as Interstate 75 is flowing, traffic and all, literally right in front of the campus (not even trees hinder the view).  :D

So that takes care of the interstate, but traveling south briefly will lead you to I-75's Exit 333, which is where GA 52 resides.

You don't even need GA 52 for a state highway ... I-75 is unsigned GA 401.

fillup420

Appalachian State:

NC 105, 194, and US 221, 321, 421 all run through town.

I-40 is the closest interstate 35 miles away, staright-line, about an hour fifteen drive down 221.
I-77 is the closest interstate by driving time, at 50 mins

behogie230

Interstate: I-76 (1/4 mile)
State Route: PA-230 (0 miles)
US Route: US-322 (2 miles)

Concrete Bob

I'm the third person on this thread to have attended California State University Sacramento (May 1988 graduate):

US 50; SR 16; SR 51/I-305, all within feet or miles of the campus. 

michravera

Quote from: bing101 on September 05, 2021, 06:03:08 PM
Sacramento State University has US-50, CA-99, CA-51, I-5, I-80 and I-305 near the campus

But the exit for CSU Sacramento is and has been US-50 and CASR-16 as I said earlier.

TheHighwayMan3561

Interstate - 35

US route - 2 - it formed the northern boundary of campus and for a good part of my 2nd-4th years was visible out my dorm window

State highway - 35
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CardInLex

University of Louisville

State: KY 1020; runs through campus
US: US 60 Alt; runs through campus
Interstate: I-65; immediately adjacent to University owned campus... runs through campus when expanded to include privately owned student housing

For fun...
Railroad: Three separate freight railroads run through campus. One of which runs through the student activity center (more than just a pedway).

bing101

Quote from: michravera on September 05, 2021, 11:12:19 PM
Quote from: bing101 on September 05, 2021, 06:03:08 PM

But the exit for CSU Sacramento is and has been US-50 and CASR-16 as I said earlier.

Correct!

bing101

Solano Community College another place I was a student at.

Fairfield , CA Campus near I-680(aka Former CA-21), CA-12, I-80 (aka Former US-40 and I-5W)
Vacaville, CA Campus near I-505@I-80 Interchange. 

Vallejo, CA Campus near I-80@CA-37

bulldog1979

Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan:
*Bus. US 131/M-20 runs along part of campus
*Northland Drive (unsigned Old US 131) runs through campus, complete with MDOT adopt-a-highway signs.

The US 131 freeway is west of town, and the closest Interstates would be I-96 and unsigned I-296 down in Walker.

debragga

ULM: Monroe, Louisiana

Interstate: I-20 - just under 2 miles to the south

US highway: US 80 (Desiard Street) - some of the older buildings on campus are right next to or on Desiard. US 165 (Sterlington Road) is a very close second due to the edge of farthest out commuter lots being one block away from the road.

State highway: LA 840-6 (Forsythe Ave/Forsythe Bypass - 1.5 miles northwest. Close second is LA-594 (Millhaven Road), which is right next to I-20.

hobsini2

I went to college at U of St Thomas in St Paul, MN. I-94 (and US 12) was, at most, a mile from my dorm (Ireland Hall).
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

cpzilliacus

University of Maryland at College Park:

U.S. 1 (Baltimore Avenue) goes through the campus.
MD-193 (University Boulevard) runs along the north edge of the campus and has intersections with three campus roads
I-95 is at an interchange slightly over two miles north of campus
I-495 (by itself, not with I-95) about 2.7 miles north and west
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

wanderer2575

Both go through town, and run concurrent for about a mile.

Nearest Interstate highway is I-75, about 42 miles east.

JayhawkCO

University of Kansas

Closest Interstate: I-70, about 2-3 miles north of campus
Closest U.S. Route - US59, goes directly through campus (any other schools that have this?)
Closest State Highway - K-10, about 2-3 miles south of campus

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.