News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What are the closest highways to where you went to college?

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 04, 2021, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Shea

Grand Valley State University: Allendale, MI
M-45 is adjacent to the campus.  I-96 is about 5 miles to the north.  I-196 is about 10-12 miles to the south and also to the east.  US-131 is about 14 miles to the east.

There is also a downtown Grand Rapids campus.  Us-131 runs right through the heart of it, I-196 is less than a mile to the north and M-45 ends about 2 miles to the west.

Hobart

I go to the Milwaukee School of Engineering. Guess where it is. (It's just north of downtown.)

US-18 and Wisconsin Highway 32 run directly through campus, on State Street.

Wisconsin Highway 145 runs 0.8 miles away from campus. When it was the Park Freeway, it actually touched campus, and the campus parking complex was built on the cleared right of way for the freeway. There are signs that I suspect directed motorists to the old routing of 145 still near campus.

I live a mile from the nearest interchange to Interstate 43, at McKinley Avenue. I live a mile from Interstate 794, and 1.7 miles from the Marquette interchange with I-94.

I am also two miles from the intersection of Wisconsin Highways 38 and 59. I wonder why there are so many roads here, it's like it's a city or something!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

GaryV

Adding Lawrence Tech, where I got my masters:
I-696 3/4 mile to the north
US-24 1 1/2 miles to the west
M-10 borders the parking lot

JCinSummerfield

Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, Michigan

I-94
US-12
M-17

sbeaver44

Messiah University

I-76, US 15, PA 114, all within 5 miles

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 06, 2021, 11:47:29 PM

Closest U.S. Route - US59, goes directly through campus (any other schools that have this?)

Mentioned upthread -- Alternate US 60 runs through the University of Louisville campus.

US 27 runs through the University of Kentucky Campus, although recent realignments may have changed that.

Berea College properties are on both sides of US 25.

Not sure about the proximity of US 60 to Marshall or US 19 to West Virginia University.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

University of Kansas
Closest U.S. Route - US59, goes directly through campus (any other schools that have this?)

U.S. 1 (Baltimore Avenue) goes through the campus of the University of Maryland at College Park.

The university has been there longer than U.S. 1.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SkyPesos

- Vanderbilt have US 70S and US 431 through campus
- Case Western have US 20 and US 322 through campus

jaehak

University of Kansas

Closest Interstate: I-70, about 2-3 miles north of campus
Closest State Highway - K-10, about 2-3 miles south of campus

Chris

Rock Chalk!

Roadgeekteen

UMass Amherst

Closest State highway: MA 116, goes through campus.

Closest US highway: US 5 as the crow flies, US 202 as the road drives (from the center of campus at least). US 202 is about 7.6 miles away.
Closest Interstate: I-91, about 7 miles away
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

goes directly through campus (any other schools that have this?)

US-41 divides the campus of Michigan Tech. (was mentioned before)

Old US-12 used to go through the campus of Western Michigan on Michigan Avenue, which has since been disconnected on campus.

I-96 goes through the farms on the campus of Michigan State.  Plus 2 rail lines, one of which Amtrak uses.

JayhawkCO

I'll assume Michigan Tech in Houghton is the farthest 4-year school away from an interstate (feel free to find another).  Anyone feel like positing some guesses for which are the farthest from a U.S. Route or State Highway?

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 08, 2021, 02:03:36 PM
UMass Amherst

Closest State highway: MA 116, about 1/2 mile away

Closest US highway: US 202, about 7.6 miles away

MA 116 actually abuts UMass property.

US 5 is closer to UMass than US 202, especially due to the Equestrian Center.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 08, 2021, 03:00:09 PM
I'll assume Michigan Tech in Houghton is the farthest 4-year school away from an interstate (feel free to find another).  Anyone feel like positing some guesses for which are the farthest from a U.S. Route or State Highway?

Chris
For US highway, pretty much any college in Alaska and Hawaii.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 08, 2021, 03:02:58 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 08, 2021, 03:00:09 PM

Chris
For US highway, pretty much any college in Alaska and Hawaii.

Let's go continental U.S. for those to avoid that.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on September 08, 2021, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 08, 2021, 02:03:36 PM
UMass Amherst

Closest State highway: MA 116, about 1/2 mile away

Closest US highway: US 202, about 7.6 miles away

MA 116 actually abuts UMass property.

US 5 is closer to UMass than US 202, especially due to the Equestrian Center.
I completely forgot about US 5!  :banghead: I know, I was measuring from my dorm so I messed up a bit. See my edits above.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

fwydriver405

University of Maine (Orono ME), all distances from the Memorial Gym:

Closest Interstate: I-95 via Exit 191 (~6.5 km / 4.0 mi) or 193 (~3.5 km / 2.2 mi)
Closest US Highway: US 2 A (Orono-Old Town) borders the campus to the west (~400 m/438 yd), and US 2 to the southeast (~2.0 km / 1.3 mi).
Closest state route: ME Route 16, it's southern terminus is located at the intersection of US 2 in Downtown Orono (~2.8 km / 1.7 mi)

ctkatz

I 65 is literally on the campus of the university of louisville. #l1c4 #lsup

7/8

The closest highway to the University of Waterloo is Highway 85 (part of the Conestoga Parkway). Next are Highways 7 and 8 (also on the Conestoga Parkway), followed by the 401.

roadman

Northeastern University in Boston.

Closest state highway - MA 9 - passes by the campus on Huntington Avenue
Closest US highway - US 20, which starts in Kenmore Square
Closest Interstates - Interstate 93 and Interstate 90 (MassPike).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

davewiecking

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: jaehak on September 08, 2021, 01:51:53 PM
University of Kansas

Chris

Rock Chalk!

Yuck.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

US 89

Interstate: I-75/85, actually passes through campus
US Highways: US 29/78/278, also passes through campus
State Routes: underlying state designations GA 401/403 (unsigned) and GA 8 (signed)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 09, 2021, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: jaehak on September 08, 2021, 01:51:53 PM
University of Kansas

Chris

Rock Chalk!

Yuck.

It'll be fun to get the rivalry going again.  Last basketball game between our schools was pretty damn epic.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.