News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has anyone here ever been the victim of a crime?

Started by hbelkins, September 14, 2018, 01:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: slorydn1 on September 25, 2018, 03:24:06 AM
This is what makes it the scariest of all. They guy that pulled the gun on me ended up murdering someone in another county less than a year later while he was out on bond for my robbery. I found out about that because our captain in charge of investigations pulled me into his office to tell me about it. To this day I wish I had been in a better tactical situation when the robbery went down, I might have been able to prevent someone else from being murdered down the road. I also know it's stupid to think that way but it is what it is I guess.

Wow...this puts most any of my crimes to shame. You can't look into the future and tell what someone else will do, even if they are a worthless cretin.

You've also scared me out of ever delivering pizzas again, though the store I worked at intentionally didn't use car-roof signs, to deter robberies.

sparker

Back in the spring of 1977, I was living in an older house in Palo Alto (CA), which my roommate had rigged up with magnetic latches on the old wooden sash-type windows and foil tape on the glass itself to form a full house-wide loop with an alarm that would go off (and dial the local cops) if the loop was broken.  Being an audiophile, I had (at '77 prices) a couple thousand dollars' worth of gear in my room, occupying a board/brick setup near a window.  Well -- I was victim to a "snatch & run"; someone broke the window and tape and set off the alarm (I was notified at work); they got what they could in likely about 15-30 seconds and got the hell out of there -- luckily nothing really valuable was near the window; they got an old cassette deck I was using to make tape copies (didn't get my good Akai) and a small handheld cassette player sitting on the shelf next to it.  Probably worth $25 for both at stolen/street prices.  Got lucky on that one; put bars on the windows the next week. 

In_Correct

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2018, 01:51:11 PM
Anyone ever been stolen from, burglarized, assaulted, or otherwise victimized by a lawbreaker?

Yes, I have been victimized many times. And each of those times the people either knew me or tried to get to know me. Or when they are in a position of power of which they abuse.

The only time a complete random stranger that tried to attack within seconds of arriving was at a rest area: a woman bumming for money. I called her bluff be cause after she said her wallet fell down the storm drain, I asked her what it looked like. She clarified that she wanted money, not help looking for it. I said that I am out of gas for my self, and that remark seemed to be enough to make her go away.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

AlexandriaVA

US 81

Some experiences I'd rather not discuss, but I will share this one: Years (twentyfive or so) ago, my boring old sedan (along with several other cars at the apartment complex where we lived) was broken into. I had an in-car stereo with a removable face-plate, which was with me in our apartment at the time. They damaged but did not entirely break the stereo - I was able to re-mount the face-plate but no longer able to remove it. They also got the two 12-packs of DIET Mountain Dew I had in the trunk.

I sometimes had a chuckle imagining the vandal's disappointment when they realized it was diet soda.

inkyatari

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 01, 2018, 09:35:39 AM
Credit card skimmed by an otherwise nice coffee shop husband-and-wife team.

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/10/18/caffe-aficionado-credit-card-fraud-suspect-pleads-guilty/

I love this comment on the page...

QuoteG Clifford Prout - a year ago

Coffee cooker Clark caught cloning counterfeit credit cards,
coincidentally, conspiring cohort "Carol" copying cards concurrently.
Cops cuff café charge card criminals, close caffeine concession.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

sparker

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 01, 2018, 01:29:47 PM
Diet Mountain Dew is an acquired taste.

............with a hell of a lot more caffeine than most other sodas!  If the burglars binge-drank the stuff, they'd be staying up all night -- hopefully not devising more efficient ways to carry on their nefarious activities!

kphoger

Quote from: slorydn1 on September 25, 2018, 03:24:06 AM
this last group seemed to be really young, like middle school to early high school aged (I was right, they were freshman).

Short little punks scare me way more than big burly dudes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

I had an incident with an armed man last week at work.

Nexus 5X

US71

I had my van broken into about 15 years ago. Lost my best SCA costume and half my merchandise.  About 6 years ago, I had my storage locker broken into and lost  a bunch of merchandise, but no personal items (which were cleverly hidden, anyway).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

I was in a hit-and-run accident.  On my 16th birthday.  No, I was not driving, and it wasn't my fault.  I was car #3 in a 4-car sandwich. 

WTF?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

abefroman329

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 29, 2018, 12:13:34 PM

WTF?
I hated it the first time I had it, but it was the only diet soda the law firm I worked for about a decade ago kept stocked in the fridge other than Diet Coke, so eventually, I liked it OK, I guess.  I still prefer regular Mountain Dew, and really prefer Mountain Dew Throwback.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 29, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 29, 2018, 12:13:34 PM

WTF?
I hated it the first time I had it, but it was the only diet soda the law firm I worked for about a decade ago kept stocked in the fridge other than Diet Coke, so eventually, I liked it OK, I guess.  I still prefer regular Mountain Dew, and really prefer Mountain Dew Throwback.

One store here sells single cans. A couple stores sell it in the bottle WHEN they have it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

We had an armed robber come through our neighborhood today. He was caught a couple of miles down the road from my house.
(no, he did NOT target our residence)
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/person-of-interest-in-custody-after-series-of-burglaries-near-sunbury/1653343327
https://www.10tv.com/article/man-arrested-following-garage-break-ins-delaware-county
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kevinb1994

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.