New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Well, I surmised the below capacity figures was because of the steel mill's closure.

Beltway

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2018, 10:18:56 AM
Quote from: Beltway on May 02, 2018, 08:52:23 AM
Depends on the drawbridge clearance when closed.  Satellite view shows about 100 sailboats docked on the river.  Some sailboats have masts over 50 feet high.
None of the boats there have particularly high masts, but you'd still need a clearance of 40-50 feet to avoid a ridiculous amount of openings.  A new crossing near Ohio Street might work (still movable). Main commercial customer on the river is General Mills, but there's commercial use down to Silo City right now.

Even small cruising sailboats of 25 feet in length can have masts 35 feet or more tall.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cl94

Quote from: froggie on May 02, 2018, 03:12:40 PM
With coordinated signals and at least 60% green time for NY 5 through traffic a 6-lane arterial could handle that volume.  I'd probably stick with a 4-lane freeway, though.  40K is a bit high for a 4-lane arterial.  And despite Buffaboy's commutes, those PHV's don't really warrant 6 lanes and some congestion during peak commuting hours is to be expected anyway.

Coordinated signals? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is NYSDOT Region 5 we're talking about. NY 78 supposedly has coordinated signals on the 6-lane section. Doesn't prevent me from getting stopped at every signal whenever I try to use it.

A 4 lane freeway is fine on NY 5.

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 02, 2018, 03:22:07 PM
My main problem with that section of 5 is the stretch through Woodlawn, which is 40 mph. The rest of it is 55 from the Skyway and some parts southwest. Woodlawn is basically a choke point. There's no way to fix this, even if you jersey barriered the median.

Agree. No easy way to fix that without grade separations. PHVs on that section are roughly the same as the Skyway, but AADT is slightly higher. Probably wouldn't shock anyone here to learn that NY 5 between NY 179 and the Skyway is one of the busiest surface roads Upstate (NY 104 in Rochester is slightly more, NY 5/8/12 in Utica and US 20 and NY 7 near Albany are slightly less). US 9 between I-84 and Poughkeepsie ranges from 30-60K and is the busiest in the Hudson Valley. The differences with US 9 are higher speed limit, MUCH higher green times for US 9, fewer signals, and medians (it's basically expressway-grade).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2018, 04:21:24 PM
Probably wouldn't shock anyone here to learn that NY 5 between NY 179 and the Skyway is one of the busiest surface roads Upstate (NY 104 in Rochester is slightly more, NY 5/8/12 in Utica and US 20 and NY 7 near Albany are slightly less). US 9 between I-84 and Poughkeepsie ranges from 30-60K and is the busiest in the Hudson Valley. The differences with US 9 are higher speed limit, MUCH higher green times for US 9, fewer signals, and medians (it's basically expressway-grade).

I'm not surprised by NY 5, but I am actually surprised by NY 104.
I wonder if there are any good Syracuse candidates. NY 252 in Henrietta has to be up there, too.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2018, 04:21:24 PM

Coordinated signals? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is NYSDOT Region 5 we're talking about. NY 78 supposedly has coordinated signals on the 6-lane section. Doesn't prevent me from getting stopped at every signal whenever I try to use it.

I was driving on Washington ave ext in Albany every day while R1 had endeavor into synchronization of those 3 lights. I lost even residue of my faith in NYS engineering after that show.

Michael

Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
I wonder if there are any good Syracuse candidates. NY 252 in Henrietta has to be up there, too.

According to the TDV, NY 5/92 between I-481 and the eastern NY 5/92 split has an AADT of 53,577, and NY 5 north of Woodlawn has an AADT of 42,204.  The biggest backup on NY 5/92 is the westbound approach to the duplex on NY 5.  I'd say the wait at the red light is around 3 minutes or so.

Beltway

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2018, 12:27:23 PM
[NY-5 Skyway]
AADT is around 40,000 with PHVs of 3,300 EB and 2,700 WB in 2013. You'd need a pretty beefy surface road to accommodate that and the Thruway doesn't have the capacity to take the overflow.

Even for a local expressway those are volumes to where a pre-existing 4-lane freeway segment is warranted to remain in its current basic design.  If traffic had declined to 10,000 or 15,000 AADT then maybe discussions could be considered to downgrade the design.  But I would not be in favor of downgrading the design.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Buffaboy

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 02, 2018, 03:22:07 PM
My main problem with that section of 5 is the stretch through Woodlawn, which is 40 mph. The rest of it is 55 from the Skyway and some parts southwest. Woodlawn is basically a choke point. There's no way to fix this, even if you jersey barriered the median.

Yes! I was going into downtown a few weeks ago at 5 in the morning doing over 50. You can imagine what happened next.

Total speed trap, but my solution would be to widen it if possible, and then put in Jersey barriers. I think that would work, then they could have it at 50-55. This will never happen though.

The planners in the 50s and 60s did intend for NY-5 to be a full freeway to at least where Big Tree Road is. I never understood why it ends at Odell St, when it doesn't seem like there would have been vocal opposition to it.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

froggie

Quote from: cl94Coordinated signals? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is NYSDOT Region 5 we're talking about.

New York State in general...

D-Dey65

I found an old exit on the New England Thruway in Pelham just before the Hutchinson River Parkway;

https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=11&lat=40.910556&lon=-73.8075

It's an RIRO interchange with Split Rock Road. Who has info on it?

crispy93

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2018, 03:12:40 PM
US 9 between I-84 and Poughkeepsie ranges from 30-60K and is the busiest in the Hudson Valley. The differences with US 9 are higher speed limit, MUCH higher green times for US 9, fewer signals, and medians (it's basically expressway-grade).

I drive it every day, it's tolerable except southbound through the village of Wappingers Falls when southbound traffic loses a lane (northbound is a consistent 3 lanes). Easily takes 10 minutes to go a mile. US 44/NY 55 (the Arterial) goes through Poughkeepsie one one-way couplets and the signals are coordinated. It's probably much easier to coordinate signals on one-way streets.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

froggie

^ I didn't say that.  Looks like cl94's quote.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on May 07, 2018, 08:33:05 AM
^ I didn't say that.  Looks like cl94's quote.

The clickable link above it takes you to your quote, which means it must have been done intentionally (or else something seriously screwy is going on).

froggie

Benefit of the doubt:  given he has 3 posts total (as of this moment), he probably hasn't fully figured out the quoting function yet.

crispy93

Quote from: froggie on May 07, 2018, 08:57:14 AM
Benefit of the doubt:  given he has 3 posts total (as of this moment), he probably hasn't fully figured out the quoting function yet.

Whoops, my bad.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

D-Dey65

You know, on my November 2017 trip to the Tri-State Area, I never saw a NYS 900A reference route marker anywhere along Main Street in Greenport, or a 900C reference route marker anywhere along the Orient Beach State Park Road:

http://www.empirestateroads.com/sr/refroute10.html

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 11, 2018, 02:38:32 PM
You know, on my November 2017 trip to the Tri-State Area, I never saw a NYS 900A reference route marker anywhere along Main Street in Greenport, or a 900C reference route marker anywhere along the Orient Beach State Park Road:

No, and since the invention of Street View, I've been able to confirm the existence or absence of actual markers much more easily. (I'm theoretically in the midst of updating all these pages, by the way.) But most of the info in that column is based on inventory products from NYSDOT, originally the Highway Sufficiency Ratings Manual, which lists reference marker legends at various points along the route. Where given, these are included in my tables, but in some cases they may be purely theoretical.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on May 11, 2018, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 11, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

No, and since the invention of Street View, I've been able to confirm the existence or absence of actual markers much more easily. (I'm theoretically in the midst of updating all these pages, by the way.) But most of the info in that column is based on inventory products from NYSDOT, originally the Highway Sufficiency Ratings Manual, which lists reference marker legends at various points along the route. Where given, these are included in my tables, but in some cases they may be purely theoretical.

Lack of a reference marker means nothing. There are several reference routes that have no reference markers. 917A, 954L, and the two you mentioned still officially exist (and I know the first two are state-maintained), but there are no reference markers. Many routes are missing a 1000 and 900A is short enough to not have a 1001 (in fact, it is one of the 5 shortest reference routes that isn't a wye, ramp, or bypassed former alignment).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Yeah, I'm not surprised those two don't have markers.  Very short reference routes seem to lack markers more often than not, and the state park road wouldn't be maintained by NYSDOT, so no markers there either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: empirestate on May 11, 2018, 03:47:17 PM
Yes, Street View can do a lot of good, as long as it's kept up to date, and there's nothing preventing the visibilty of signs or other features (anything from blurring out signs, to zooming restrictions, trucks or other vehicles, or worse). The one thing I did encounter was a resurfacing project, not only on "NY 900A," but on the section of Main Street that NY 25 runs along. I had hoped against all hope that they might've been there but were taken down for the construction project, but I tend to know better than to keep my hopes up.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on May 11, 2018, 06:56:21 PM
Lack of a reference marker means nothing.

Well, it doesn't mean nothing when I have a whole column on my website supposedly listing the number as posted on reference markers. :-)

cu2010

So on a trip to Saratoga Springs last week for work, I had the privilege (?) of driving through Malta.

Roundabouts officially need to go die in a fire.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

webny99

Complete topic switch, but with the Grand Island Bridges going AET, I wonder if I-190's Exit 17 is in for a full overhaul. It's got to be substandard as heck in both directions.

Rothman

Quote from: cu2010 on May 15, 2018, 07:38:34 PM
So on a trip to Saratoga Springs last week for work, I had the privilege (?) of driving through Malta.

Roundabouts officially need to go die in a fire.
I even heard NYSDOT's COO say "Good luck with that!" when they were being built in a speech at ITS-NY.  The US 9 one was terrible last I was there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on May 15, 2018, 09:33:50 PM
Complete topic switch, but with the Grand Island Bridges going AET, I wonder if I-190's Exit 17 is in for a full overhaul. It's got to be substandard as heck in both directions.

Looking at that interchange, I don't really see much room to do anything to it, especially on the southbound side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.