News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Houston Highway Improvement Project (project resumed March 2023)

Started by MaxConcrete, April 22, 2015, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Interesting that the caps are not eligible for NHPP funding at 90%.  Wonder why they wouldn't be considered bridges over the Interstate.  STBG Flex funding is used for multipurpose trails, so it isn't like eligibility for federal funding is that restricted (although there was a local engineer that got caught trying to pay for a dog park with federal transportation funding...).

So, I would think caps are eligible for either NHPP or Flex at 80% at least, depending on what is going on the caps. Anyway, the excuse of not being able to use 90% does not tell the whole story one way or another.

Shoot, even if this were totally true, it would be a ripe time to get Buttiegieg to change the eligibility.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rte66man

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2023, 06:56:07 AM
Interesting that the caps are not eligible for NHPP funding at 90%.  Wonder why they wouldn't be considered bridges over the Interstate.  STBG Flex funding is used for multipurpose trails, so it isn't like eligibility for federal funding is that restricted (although there was a local engineer that got caught trying to pay for a dog park with federal transportation funding...).

So, I would think caps are eligible for either NHPP or Flex at 80% at least, depending on what is going on the caps. Anyway, the excuse of not being able to use 90% does not tell the whole story one way or another.

Shoot, even if this were totally true, it would be a ripe time to get Buttiegieg to change the eligibility.

Makes me wonder how CDOT paid for a school playground on the I70 cap project in Denver.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sprjus4

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 10, 2023, 12:28:05 AM
There are below-grade trenched sections of I-69/US 59 just to the west of the South Freeway interchange. Not sure if they flood in heavy rain or hurricane conditions....but then again, no one needs to be out in the middle of a landfalling Hurricane Ike in the first place.
First responders?

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 10, 2023, 10:21:05 AM
There are below-grade trenched sections of I-69/US 59 just to the west of the South Freeway interchange. Not sure if they flood in heavy rain or hurricane conditions....but then again, no one needs to be out in the middle of a landfalling Hurricane Ike in the first place.
First responders?

They flooded completely in IKE.  They flooded to a lesser extent from Harvey. IKE practically destroyed the freeway. 

That said, there are non-freeway surface streets for first responders to take.  The freeways maybe the fastest route with traffic, in a post-hurricane recovery, there won't be that much traffic out on the surface streets. Even with a few flooded places, the bigger problem EVERYWHERE immediately after a hurricane is debris and downed trees.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bluecountry

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 09, 2023, 11:33:09 AM
It's pie in the sky dreaming to think every urban freeway can be dug into a trench and capped. The Big Dig in Boston cost billions of dollars yet the tunnels aren't very long. They had all sorts of problems too with water seeping through the tunnel walls.

Trying to do cut and cover tunnels around downtown Houston would run into the same problems. Considering the fact Houston is far more prone to tropical storm strikes than Boston it's likely such cut-and-cover highway tunnels would flood.

It's ridiculous to build attractions such as Minute Maid Park in the downtown area yet expect the massive crowds to just ride a city bus or some nonsense. Houston already has multiple skyscraper districts in various parts of the metro. That's a reaction to workers moving farther and farther out from costly city centers that are too complicated and time-draining to visit. The New Urbanism ideology doesn't stop to consider how much time it actually takes to ride a bus or train. The ideology sure as hell doesn't consider the obscene extreme prices of housing in that Utopian urban center.
Disagree.

1.  You can tunnel, cut and cover, OR cap/sell air rights.
2.  You build Minute Maid so there is a large population living nearby that can walk/bike vs having to import 100% longer distance people.

Two sections of the NHIP are scheduled to be ultimately capped: the segment of I-69/US 59/relocated I-45 adjacent to Minute Maid Park, and a segment of I-45 just north of the divergence of I-10 west heading towards the Katy Freeway. The city would have to find donors willing to pay for the caps, since that would not be considered "transportation needs" that would qualify for Fed-state interstate funding; perhaps the recent grant H-GAC received could be a down payment on that.

Also, the realignment of I-10 and relocated I-45 east of the Allen Elevated section would be trenched as well.

From what I have seen, they do have mitigation measures set to deal with possible flooding (natural swales, retention ponds, relocation of Buffalo Bayou, etc.

I still say that they should have kept and improved the Allen Elevated section instead of rerouting I-45 and saved a ton of money and time. But, it is what it is. I'm just relieved that the project is somewhat back on track....for now.
That is absurd.  The project should never be approved until the highway has a plan to cap.  Just awful.

Quote from: DJStephens on March 09, 2023, 01:32:55 PM
It's pie in the sky dreaming to think every urban freeway can be dug into a trench and capped. The Big Dig in Boston cost billions of dollars yet the tunnels aren't very long. They had all sorts of problems too with water seeping through the tunnel walls.
The total cost of the "big dig" was close to $22 Billion, as recalled.   Over the close to fifteen years of the project.  The original Artery, had it's southern section already tunneled, via cut and cover method, when it was actually discovered how atrocious the elevated section (circa '50) was going to turn out.  But it never had enough capacity, only 3 x 3.   The "new" cut and cover Artery doesn't have enough capacity, either, the third Harbor crossing to the Airport "saves" it to an extent.  It really should have been 5 x 5 in the main downtown section.   
Pork, grafts, and corruption plagued the "big dig" project, and while it was finally completed, it was multiple times more expensive, than if it had been done two decades before, in conjunction with, or immediately after hypothetical Inner Belt construction.   The single most glaring episode, was the falling of a concrete ceiling tile, that fell and killed a motorist in one of the "new" tunnels.  Turned out non galvanized rod had been used to hold the panels in place, instead of correct treated hardware elements for the enviroment.
Are you kidding me?  Make it 5x5?  Absolutely not.
The goal was to ease congestion and the god awful blight of the highway, you do this with full 12 foot lanes, shoulders, and easy merges in a city not making a mega highway; especially when it is designed for local not thru traffic!

Also, the big dig cost so much because Boston is an old city with colonial era roads and pre 19th century utilities that were a mess.
This would not be an issue in Houston.

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on March 13, 2023, 12:13:37 PM
That is absurd.  The project should never be approved until the highway has a plan to cap.  Just awful.
There is a plan to cap. It's designed to be. It needs to be funded via other sources. That's not on the state through transportation dollars to do.

Anthony_JK

The caps are already there in the proposal; the development of the space the caps would take over would require supplemental funding from sources other than initial construction.

The actual caps can be funded out of base construction costs, but any enhancements and development of the space taken by the caps and the adjacent properties would require additional supplemental sources for funding (local, private, etc.).

jgb191

I don't know how relevant this is to this topic, but the North Sam Tollway segment between Hardy Tollway and J.F. Kennedy Blvd is only six lanes wide (three in each direction).  I believe that North segment might be one of the busier segments of the entire S.H. Tollway loop owing to a lot of traffic to and from the Bush airport.  When will that be widened to at least four each direction (to make it eight-lanes)?
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

abqtraveler

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 13, 2023, 10:52:05 PM
The caps are already there in the proposal; the development of the space the caps would take over would require supplemental funding from sources other than initial construction.

The actual caps can be funded out of base construction costs, but any enhancements and development of the space taken by the caps and the adjacent properties would require additional supplemental sources for funding (local, private, etc.).
Of course. Development of the parcels of land that were freed up by the Big Dig was paid for by local funds for parks or private investors for buildings.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bwana39

Quote from: jgb191 on March 14, 2023, 12:50:42 AM
I don't know how relevant this is to this topic, but the North Sam Tollway segment between Hardy Tollway and J.F. Kennedy Blvd is only six lanes wide (three in each direction).  I believe that North segment might be one of the busier segments of the entire S.H. Tollway loop owing to a lot of traffic to and from the Bush airport.  When will that be widened to at least four each direction (to make it eight-lanes)?

The busier portion is from the energy corridor to I-45.

bluecountry

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 13, 2023, 10:52:05 PM

That should have been a concession to build.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: MaxConcrete on November 13, 2022, 11:14:53 PM
The Clayton Homes housing project on Runnels Street is fully vacated and fenced. Relocating all the residents of the 184 units is a big step, since they (presumably) all needed subsidized housing.

There is no evidence of demolition about to start. But as the photo shows, the fence has been breached. There is an abundance of homeless people in the area who would probably like to seize control of the property, so I think TxDOT will need to proceed with demolition promptly.

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20221113-NHHIP_010_1600.jpg

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20221113-NHHIP_007-1600.jpg

There was a large fire at the vacant property on Saturday, LOL!

This link has a video report.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2023/03/19/fire-damages-clayton-homes-apartments-in-downtown-houston/

HOUSTON — A massive fire reportedly broke out at an apartment complex in downtown Houston Saturday.

The Houston Fire Department responded to the blaze at the Clayton Homes Apartments located in the 1910 block of Runnels Street.

Crews say the two-alarm fire began at around 8 p.m. Saturday night.

The complex was said to have been shut down back in July 2022, and demolition was reportedly set to take place in the near future as part of the ongoing I-45 expansion project.

Arson investigators were on scene following the fire, working to determine what may have caused the flames.

From https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45066-i-45-rebuild-north-houston-highway-improvement-project/page/62/#comments
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Plutonic Panda

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MaxConcrete

The pause and lawsuit delayed the project. TxDOT revealed the new schedule on Friday and the Chronicle reported on it today.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/harris-county-i-45-rebuilding-project-houston-18073985.php

See agenda item 11 for video of the presentation
https://hgac.swagit.com/play/04282023-609
Presentation: https://www.txdot.gov/content/dam/project-sites/nhhip/images/i45-nhhip-presentation-to-hgac-transportation-policy-council-april2023.pdf

In short, the schedule is pushed into the future. WAY into the future. Downtown work is scheduled to be finished in 2038, and the overall project in 2042. I'll be 75 years old when it is done!

The first job (3B) is scheduled to start in 2024, but it is only a small drainage job. Freeway construction, estimated at $585 million, is slated to start in 2025.
Job 3A is now slated to start in 2026 and the price has increased to $640 million.
I'm especially disappointed that segment 2 is now slated for 2033 to 2039. The interchange is a major bottleneck on Loop 610, but now relief is 16 years in the future.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on May 04, 2023, 02:07:18 PM
The pause and lawsuit delayed the project. TxDOT revealed the new schedule on Friday and the Chronicle reported on it today.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/harris-county-i-45-rebuilding-project-houston-18073985.php

In short, the schedule is pushed into the future. WAY into the future. Downtown work is scheduled to be finished in 2038, and the overall project in 2042. I'll be 75 years old when it is done!

The first job (3B) is scheduled to start in 2024, but it is only a small drainage job. The first freeway construction is slated to start in 2025.
Job 3A is now slated to start in 2026 and the price has increased to $640 million.
I'm especially disappointed that segment 2 is now slated for 2033 to 2039. The interchange is a major bottleneck on Loop 610, but now relief is 16 years in the future.

With any luck, the traffic delays this will cause will get people to see that taking away lanes of traffic does in fact make traffic worse and making more of them makes it better.

rte66man

Yeah, the part that is needed the most is one of the last to be done. I cannot imagine how bad the backups will be at either end.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

TXtoNJ

Presentation: https://www.txdot.gov/content/dam/project-sites/nhhip/images/i45-nhhip-presentation-to-hgac-transportation-policy-council-april2023.pdf

The first job (3B) is scheduled to start in 2024, but it is only a small drainage job. Freeway construction, estimated at $585 million, is slated to start in 2025.

Net effect of this is that 35 in Austin gets done before 45 in Houston. The budget for both of these is too big to have concurrent work in the absence of a 2009 TIGER-style stimulus.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TXtoNJ on May 08, 2023, 12:54:23 PM
Net effect of this is that 35 in Austin gets done before 45 in Houston. The budget for both of these is too big to have concurrent work in the absence of a 2009 TIGER-style stimulus.

I-35 Austin is currently on a fast track. Recent documents have a schedule which shows the entire project complete in summer 2032.
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/ppd/meetings/022823/presentation.pdf

Under the NHHIP schedule, only two sections would be done by 2032, with another (3C-1) nearing completion. So NHHIP would actually just be getting started by 2032, with the most difficult jobs (3D, 2) just underway or not even started.

It is possible that TxDOT Houston is throttling NHHIP so that NHHIP won't consume nearly all available funds in Houston for about 10 years. With a 20-year schedule, other projects can proceed concurrently. A prime candidate is the Inner Katy project. TxDOT recently reached an agreement with Houston Metro to accommodate Metro's elevated BRT, and TxDOT is soliciting consultants.
https://www.txdot.gov/business/peps/opportunities/meetings/pre-rfp-meeting-3-sd-pse-contracts-inner-katy-houston.html

Other projects slated to proceed soon are Interstate 10 widening in Brookshire (to 4-1-1-4, with frontage roads added) and more work on the SH 35 freeway with an interchange at Loop 610. A new multi-billion-dollar ship channel bridge for Loop 610 is also slated for the 2030s, but it remains to be seen if that moves forward.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

Quote from: MaxConcrete on May 18, 2023, 09:08:25 PM
Demolition of Clayton homes is underway.

Image credit to hindesky on HAIF
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45066-i-45-rebuild-north-houston-highway-improvement-project/page/64/#comments

You realize that forty years from now, this will be remembered as the highway took away an urban paradise.

It was flood prone, and had been shut down BEFORE the freeway because it was contaminated with mold and sewerage. . It was relatively inexpensive.  Ironically it still will not be the mostly Hispanic residents who will be waxing nostalgic about it,

J N Winkler

We will just have to see--there doesn't seem to be much nostalgia for Pruitt-Igoe, for example, even though the architect was Minoru Yamasaki, who went on to design the Twin Towers.

As for the current scheduling of the various NHHIP phases, I think the lengthy timeline creates opportunities for cost escalation and has the potential to embolden opposition.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bwana39

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 19, 2023, 12:13:52 PM
We will just have to see--there doesn't seem to be much nostalgia for Pruitt-Igoe, for example, even though the architect was Minoru Yamasaki, who went on to design the Twin Towers.

As for the current scheduling of the various NHHIP phases, I think the lengthy timeline creates opportunities for cost escalation and has the potential to embolden opposition.

Yes, but it was not replaced by a freeway....

DJStephens

Trying to do cut and cover tunnels around downtown Houston would run into the same problems. Considering the fact Houston is far more prone to tropical storm strikes than Boston it's likely such cut-and-cover highway tunnels would flood.

It's ridiculous to build attractions such as Minute Maid Park in the downtown area yet expect the massive crowds to just ride a city bus or some nonsense. Houston already has multiple skyscraper districts in various parts of the metro. That's a reaction to workers moving farther and farther out from costly city centers that are too complicated and time-draining to visit. The New Urbanism ideology doesn't stop to consider how much time it actually takes to ride a bus or train. The ideology sure as hell doesn't consider the obscene extreme prices of housing in that Utopian urban center.
Disagree.

2.  You build Minute Maid so there is a large population living nearby that can walk/bike vs having to import 100% longer distance people.

Two sections of the NHIP are scheduled to be ultimately capped: the segment of I-69/US 59/relocated I-45 adjacent to Minute Maid Park, and a segment of I-45 just north of the divergence of I-10 west heading towards the Katy Freeway. The city would have to find donors willing to pay for the caps, since that would not be considered "transportation needs" that would qualify for Fed-state interstate funding; perhaps the recent grant H-GAC received could be a down payment on that.

Also, the realignment of I-10 and relocated I-45 east of the Allen Elevated section would be trenched as well.

From what I have seen, they do have mitigation measures set to deal with possible flooding (natural swales, retention ponds, relocation of Buffalo Bayou, etc.

I still say that they should have kept and improved the Allen Elevated section instead of rerouting I-45 and saved a ton of money and time. But, it is what it is. I'm just relieved that the project is somewhat back on track....for now.

The total cost of the "big dig" was close to $22 Billion, as recalled.   Over the close to fifteen years of the project.  The original Artery, had it's southern section already tunneled, via cut and cover method, when it was actually discovered how atrocious the elevated section (circa '50) was going to turn out.  But it never had enough capacity, only 3 x 3.   The "new" cut and cover Artery doesn't have enough capacity, either, the third Harbor crossing to the Airport "saves" it to an extent.  It really should have been 5 x 5 in the main downtown section.   
Pork, grafts, and corruption plagued the "big dig" project, and while it was finally completed, it was multiple times more expensive, than if it had been done two decades before, in conjunction with, or immediately after hypothetical Inner Belt construction.   The single most glaring episode, was the falling of a concrete ceiling tile, that fell and killed a motorist in one of the "new" tunnels.  Turned out non galvanized rod had been used to hold the panels in place, instead of correct treated hardware elements for the enviroment.
The goal was to ease congestion and the god awful blight of the highway, you do this with full 12 foot lanes, shoulders, and easy merges in a city not making a mega highway; especially when it is designed for local not thru traffic!
They didn't build the Inner Belt (I-695) and some of the necessary radial expressways (I-95, Rte 2).  Many were built (Turnpike,  I-93, SE expressway), but not all. The Belt would have "dispersed" downtown traffic.  Final design revisions in the mid to late sixties either buried, depressed, or placed critical Belt sections at ground level.   Original plans were all elevated viaduct.  That is why a  5 x 5 "cut and cover" replacement central artery would have been optimal.  Because they didn't build the Inner Belt back in the day. 

abqtraveler

Quote from: DJStephens on May 23, 2023, 11:07:50 PM

Disagree.

They didn't build the Inner Belt (I-695) and some of the necessary radial expressways (I-95, Rte 2).  Many were built (Turnpike,  I-93, SE expressway), but not all. The Belt would have "dispersed" downtown traffic.  Final design revisions in the mid to late sixties either buried, depressed, or placed critical Belt sections at ground level.   Original plans were all elevated viaduct.  That is why a  5 x 5 "cut and cover" replacement central artery would have been optimal.  Because they didn't build the Inner Belt back in the day.
The I-695 Inner Belt was never built because the Governor of Massachusetts ordered the cancellation of all proposed freeways inside the 128 loop in 1970, in response to widespread community opposition in Boston. The only exception was I-93 (Central Artery), as most of it was built by 1973 (I think the upper and lower decks section through Charlestown wasn't yet finished, but close). But I-95 inside 128 was cancelled, and rerouted over the 128 beltway. The I-695 Innerbelt was cancelled, and I think a couple others as well. The idea was to construct mass transit lines and subways in the corridors for the cancelled freeway segments, which I believe was mostly accomplished, but the side effect of cancelling the I-695 Innerbelt was the hours-long traffic jams on the Central Artery that ultimately led to the Big Dig project.

Houston is in a bit of a different situation than Boston, as the Houston metro area doesn't have much in the way of mass transit to speak of.  From my travels to and through Houston, I haven't noticed much in the way of passenger rail (both light and heavy), and Houston certainly doesn't have subways. Also, Houston's freeway network was largely built from the city center outward, whereas Boston's was built starting in the outlying areas and working inward.

They could probably figure out a way to incorporate mass transit into the Houston metro area, but at this point, I would suspect it would be much more costly and time consuming than what they're proposing to do with the NHHIP.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.