News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 09, 2015, 09:24:31 PM
A VMS on I-81 NB near the Maryland state line said:

US 11 52 MILES 51 MIN
I-78 89 MILES 88 MIN

Uh, you can take US 11 from Exit 3, 5 (via PA 16 west), 10 (PA 914 west), 14 (via Wayne Ave. and Orchard Drive)...you have all these opportunities to get on US 11, what's the point of driving to Carlisle to hop on 11?

The sign has nothing to do with which exit(s) you can take to utilize US 11.  It's simply pointing out how long it will take to drive those 52 miles to get to the direct interchange with US 11.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2015, 10:26:37 PM

US 11 52 MILES 51 MIN
I-78 89 MILES 88 MIN

Uh, you can take US 11 from Exit 3, 5 (via PA 16 west), 10 (PA 914 west), 14 (via Wayne Ave. and Orchard Drive)...you have all these opportunities to get on US 11, what's the point of driving to Carlisle to hop on 11?

The sign has nothing to do with which exit(s) you can take to utilize US 11.  It's simply pointing out how long it will take to drive those 52 miles to get to the direct interchange with US 11.
There is a direct interchange about 2 miles north of the VMS...it's only US 11 and nothing else.

jbnv

Quote from: cl94 on October 09, 2015, 03:40:46 PM
That is what the rest of the country thinks when they hear "Wegmans".

My mind mentally "corrects" it to Schwegmann's, a grocery store in the New Orleans area in the last century.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MikeTheActuary

While they aren't absurd per se, TDOT (Tennessee) has been having fun with their message signs.

I forget what this week's message is, but one I recall was "HEY YOU / YEAH YOU / HANG UP AND DRIVE"

(Looks like at least a few of them came from a contest.)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 12, 2015, 08:06:43 PM
While they aren't absurd per se, TDOT (Tennessee) has been having fun with their message signs.

I forget what this week's message is, but one I recall was "HEY YOU / YEAH YOU / HANG UP AND DRIVE"

(Looks like at least a few of them came from a contest.)

It's always a head-scratcher to me when there are three-part VMS messages against distracted driving.

roadman

Decided to re-activate this thread due to the latest absurdity I've seen.  Earlier today, on I-95/128 south in Lexington, the VMS just south of Routes 4 and 225 was displaying

NEVER LEAVE A KID IN A CAR

EVEN FOR A MINUTE

And of course, traffic was bumper to bumper across all four lanes.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Courtesy of MoDOT...

C your BFF tonight
Buckle up
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on June 07, 2016, 03:29:26 PM
Decided to re-activate this thread due to the latest absurdity I've seen.  Earlier today, on I-95/128 south in Lexington, the VMS just south of Routes 4 and 225 was displaying

EVEN FOR A MINUTE

I can see the sign entering Walmart that just might remind someone that they left their kid in the car, but a highway sign? There can't possibly be some terrible parent who will avoid leaving a kid in a car because of this message, right?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: spooky on June 07, 2016, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: roadman on June 07, 2016, 03:29:26 PM

EVEN FOR A MINUTE

I can see the sign entering Walmart that just might remind someone that they left their kid in the car, but a highway sign? There can't possibly be some terrible parent who will avoid leaving a kid in a car because of this message, right?

It would have to be the subconsciousness of the message that makes you think. Like a store or restaurant advertising on TV at 2am when they're clearly not open.

Bruce

During the opening day of the new Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, all traffic on State Route 520 was rerouted off the old bridge for the festivities.

One of the westbound VMSes on the west end was displaying a closure notice for the next day, with no one but pedestrians and shuttle bus drivers to see it.

SR 520 VMS by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Jet380

A short distance before a concealed fixed speed camera:

PLEASE OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT

wanderer2575

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2015, 07:03:12 AM
It's always a head-scratcher to me when there are three-part VMS messages against distracted driving.

I haven't seen them in some time, but Michigan VMSs used to display the website address to check real-time traffic conditions.  I understand the intent, but it was always a head-scratcher to me that the message seemed to encourage web surfing while driving.  Maybe someone at MDOT finally realized that and that's why the message hasn't been displayed lately.

US 81

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 10, 2016, 07:36:13 AM

I haven't seen them in some time, but Michigan VMSs used to display the website address to check real-time traffic conditions.  I understand the intent, but it was always a head-scratcher to me that the message seemed to encourage web surfing while driving.  Maybe someone at MDOT finally realized that and that's why the message hasn't been displayed lately.

But your passenger(s) can.

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 10, 2015, 10:56:16 AM

US 11 52 MILES 51 MIN
I-78 89 MILES 88 MIN

There is a direct interchange about 2 miles north of the VMS...it's only US 11 and nothing else.

I think the point is to show the distance to access the PA Turnpike (via US 11 at Exit 52).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 10, 2016, 05:06:11 PM

US 11 52 MILES 51 MIN
I-78 89 MILES 88 MIN

I think the point is to show the distance to access the PA Turnpike (via US 11 at Exit 52).
If so, then they would have displayed I-76 or I-76 VIA US 11. If they just said US 11, then I would assume they refer to Exit 3 and not Exit 52.

jwolfer

Quote from: US 81 on June 10, 2016, 05:02:55 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 10, 2016, 07:36:13 AM

But your passenger(s) can.
Just like Waze won't let you type if moving. It allows the "passenger" to type with a button

Right on Red

jbnv

Is that real or Photoshopped?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 10, 2016, 05:20:12 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 10, 2016, 05:06:11 PM

US 11 52 MILES 51 MIN
I-78 89 MILES 88 MIN

If so, then they would have displayed I-76 or I-76 VIA US 11. If they just said US 11, then I would assume they refer to Exit 3 and not Exit 52.

To better understand the sign's intention: Ignore the route.  The sign is saying:

52 Miles: 51 Minutes
89 Miles: 88 Minutes

So, in order to drive 52 miles on the highway you are currently on, it'll take you 51 minutes. 

Quote from: jbnv on July 12, 2016, 11:14:53 AM
Is that real or Photoshopped?

The R pretty much gives that away.  The font used is different than the other letters in the "sign".

Right on Red

Found in Wisconsin:

Edit: made the news

This one's from ADOT:

Edit: also made the news

7/8

That's amazing! I could imagine people doing Pokemon Go while driving since their driving past new places. It sounds like many people are addicted already. It's no longer "Texting and Driving" that's the problem, it's "GO-ing and Driving" :-D

Right on Red

Someone at ADOT has a sense of humor.

From IADOT:

TDOT let contest winners pick its VMS messages.

Pink Jazz

Here is what I would like to see for Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
REAL MEN WEAR PINK
AND DON'T
DRINK AND DRIVE

SSOWorld

EDIT: This inverts the subject (the text isn't absurd, the practice drivers have is)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.