News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP John Madden

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 28, 2021, 07:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Just days after FOX aired their Christmas Day "All Madden"  special on Madden's career

Always knew it was a big game when Pat and John were on the Mic. Now they are reunited in the  next life

RIP Coach

Dougtone

We lost one of the greatest football minds of all time today. But in a way, John Madden was like many of us in the AARoads Forum as well. He had a love for the open road and seeing America by way of the Madden Cruiser. Madden had a fear of flying and having a converted bus to get him between broadcasts was part of his legend.

Safe home, John Madden.

https://imaginethat.org/stories/madden-cruiser/
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/john-madden-americas-biggest-commuter.aspx

74/171FAN

I miss him and Pat Summerall on Madden NFL 2002. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

formulanone

He really made the game seem more accessible; even though sometimes it felt like a ten-year-old was commenting a football game, he just always seemed so enthusiastic that you watched even if you didn't like either team. He was smart enough to describe the the game to schmoes like me without acting like a know-it-all or appearing like he was better than anyone else. I didn't even realize he'd won a Super Bowl until I was like 20 or so...he didn't show off about it in the booth.

Big John

He kept pushing the rare rule that if you fair catch a punt, you can attempt a free kick field goal at that spot, even if there is no time left on the clock.

Roadgeekteen

Really caught me by surprise, I wasn't expecting this. RIP
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

When Summerall and Madden came on, you knew it was a big game.

I've always remembered the broadcast from RFK Stadium late in the 1991 season. Popular DC-area sportscaster Glenn Brenner (WUSA-9) was ill with what turned out to be a brain tumor. The Redskins were having a great season that culminated in winning Super Bowl XXVI and some fans had hung a banner that said "Win One for the Brenner." Madden pointed it out on the air during the game. Very classy of him. Unfortunately, Brenner died a few weeks later (prior to the Super Bowl).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jmacswimmer

One of my favorite John Madden quotes came from his pre-recorded audio for Madden '08:

*following a play where the quarterback throws a terrible pass nowhere near the intended receiver* "I don't think he could hit the water if he fell out of a boat!"
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

For some reason now I am remembering the late actor, John Candy.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

His liberal use of the telestrator pen is one thing I'll always remember about Madden.  It was a new toy broadcasters could play with at the time and his scribblings seemed more energetic than anyone else doing the job.

Having been out of the public eye for so long, it sort of felt like Madden was already gone, so it doesn't land as hard as if we had just seen him last Sunday calling a game.  Still, that voice was a prominent part of my history with sports with Madden calling many of the games as the Packers rose in greatness in the 90's.

Didn't his crew invent the whole turkey leg thing for the Thanksgiving game where they'd declare 2 MVPs from the game and they'd each get a turkey leg? (Which later morphed into something about a turducken.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 29, 2021, 10:13:12 AM
Having been out of the public eye for so long, it sort of felt like Madden was already gone, so it doesn't land as hard as if we had just seen him last Sunday calling a game.

In a way, many of us did just see him last Sunday (well, technically Saturday) when FOX aired the Madden documentary. Obviously it was taped during the spring and summer, but most of us hadn't seen or heard from John in years as you had mentioned. I watched the last 30-35 minutes and found myself getting emotional at the people telling John what he meant to them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Jim

I tend to think of his description when deciding if a receiver was in bounds on a catch: "one knee equals two feet".
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Jim on December 29, 2021, 12:14:21 PM
I tend to think of his description when deciding if a receiver was in bounds on a catch: "one knee equals two feet".

Or "one butt equals two feet". :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 29, 2021, 03:38:35 PM
Quote from: Jim on December 29, 2021, 12:14:21 PM

Or "one butt equals two feet". :D

I would have liked to have heard Madden analyze Ed Hochuli's call here:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ZLoth

NFL football coaching announcing GOD.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

OCGuy81

Most of the great announcers are gone!

Howard Cosell
Frank Gifford
Don Meredith
John Madden

Scott5114

I saw a post on social media from someone about my age who had no idea John Madden was a real person. They assumed he was a fictional character created to sell video games, like Mavis Beacon.

Of course, the first thing that pops into my mind when I see his name is Microsoft Sam going "John Madden! John Madden! John Madden!" so it's not like I'm much better.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 30, 2021, 06:47:27 PM
Most of the great announcers are gone!

Howard Cosell
Frank Gifford
Don Meredith
John Madden
Add Pat Summerall to that list; he was Madden's broadcast partner on both CBS and FOX.

For this week's slate of games, each one will begin with a moment of silence for Madden, followed by the playing of the National Anthem. It's shaping up to be the most emotional week ever for football, and possibly all of sports.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

Curt Gowdy and Kyle Rote of NBC were my favorites for AFL/AFC and Rose Bowl games.

Madden was truly great though! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.