News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Here

Started by Amaury, September 19, 2022, 11:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaury

I found this forum after doing a Google search a while ago on why US Route 97's mileposts in Oregon were backward–increasing from the north instead of from the south–and decided to join. Looking forward to posting here, as I already have some things in mind.

Also, is there something I'm missing in my profile settings? I've tried to set my birthday/age a few times now, but when I save the changes, it just resets to the default N/A.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

davewiecking

Welcome! There has recently a known issue with birthdates being saved. Seemed to happen about the time of a discussion about average age of forum members. Not saying there's a connection.....

Bruce

Welcome, fellow Washingtonian.

Quote from: Amaury on September 19, 2022, 11:11:14 PM
I found this forum after doing a Google search a while ago on why US Route 97's mileposts in Oregon were backward–increasing from the north instead of from the south–and decided to join.

In case you haven't found the answer, it has to do with Oregon's unsigned "named highways" system, which the mileposts are based off of. In this case, the Dalles-California Highway (CA to US 197, then continuing onto US 197) and Sherman Highway (US 197 to the WA border) are what US 97 use.

Amaury

Thank you for the welcomes thus far! To add a little more about myself, I am currently 30 and will be 31 in November. I enjoy driving, especially after getting a dashcam in February last year and later getting a better one in May of this year. Besides Washington, obviously, in order, I've been to Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, and California.

I've been to Oregon quite a number of times, particularly from last year onward, but my first time in Oregon was a long time ago, like when I was around 20–probably even younger–for plant and tree sales. My first time being in all the other states mentioned were all after getting my first dashcam last year. Idaho and Montana were simultaneously visited in July last year when my mom and I took a trip down to Great Falls in Montana. I've been down to both of those states a few times since. The other two have only been one time so far. My mom and I went down to Salt Lake City for my birthday last year, and I visited Yreka in California back in July of this year.

Quote from: Bruce on September 19, 2022, 11:34:30 PMIn case you haven't found the answer, it has to do with Oregon's unsigned "named highways" system, which the mileposts are based off of. In this case, the Dalles-California Highway (CA to US 197, then continuing onto US 197) and Sherman Highway (US 197 to the WA border) are what US 97 use.

I did end up finding the answer, yeah. I also learned interstates are the one exception to that in Oregon, as they correctly increase from south to north or from west to east.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Amaury

Quote from: davewiecking on September 19, 2022, 11:26:21 PMThere has recently a known issue with birthdates being saved. Seemed to happen about the time of a discussion about average age of forum members. Not saying there's a connection.....

I found the answer to this bug here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30173.msg2771431#msg2771431 It's a bug with the current version of the forum software.

MATraveler128

Welcome from Massachusetts.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kirbykart

Welcome from Upstate New York!

elsmere241

Welcome!  My wife is from Sunnyside, and she went to college at Central Washington for a few years.

kevinb1994

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.