News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Improvements to US 175/I-635/I-20

Started by kernals12, January 09, 2023, 08:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

TxDOT is holding a survey on improvements for the C.F Hawn and LBJ Freeway Corridors. The area covered looks like this .

-- US 175 --

I wondered what would take place about this.  I saw this interchange listed a few months ago on the project tracker site.  The estimate TxDOT listed was $200 million to redo it.  When I saw that, I figured that much $$$ would involve longer replacement connecting ramps, including dedicated separate ramps to I-20 and I-635 from US 175, to avoid the weaving/swapping that takes place now to get from one freeway to the other.

Bobby5280

$200 million? I'd be surprised if the project didn't end up costing a lot more than that. The directional stack interchange of US-175 with I-20 is pretty old. The support pylons in the center of the stack don't leave any room for adding new lanes and/or new ramps.

The Ghostbuster

Would it be likely that the existing ramps would be reconstructed as two-lane ramps? The existing configurations of the interchanges don't look like they would need to be altered that much.

bwana39

It is almost impossible to from I-20 WB to US-175 (CF Hawn) WB. It doesn't look like this addresses this at all.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

-- US 175 --

I haven't seen any design/schematic possibilities yet, and the only $$ figure I've seen is the $200 million.  As Mr. Concrete has already shown more than once, bids aren't coming out to what TxDOT is estimating very often.  And this survey isn't complete yet.  The shaded area is St. Augustine to Belt Line (when the project tracker gave a range of Masters to Edd Rd., which isn't that much different) on US 175, while I-635's shading starts between Lake June and Elam, and I-20's is from west of St. Augustine to Belt Line.  I'm wondering if there will be plans for *much* longer ramps (like I-635 east of US 75 or maybe I-35E south of I-635 -- but not tolled like that one obviously), as the shading is a good 2 exits away from the central interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.