News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-70 western Kansas control cities

Started by situveux1, August 20, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2023, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:04:05 PM
I guess specifically as a control city, not necessarily any mention.

If you stretch the definition of 'control city'...

Do we have an official definition thereof?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:08:25 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2023, 12:05:47 PM

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:04:05 PM
I guess specifically as a control city, not necessarily any mention.

If you stretch the definition of 'control city'...

Do we have an official definition thereof?

In the context of a supplemental guide sign, the MUTCD would call that a "destination" rather than a "control city".  AASHTO does not have any official control cities for I-470, which is why Kansas doesn't use any.

By the way...  In looking up some official documents for this reply...  I found something that might be of interest to some other conversations about I-70...

Quote from: AASHTO Guidelines for the Selection of Supplemental Guide Signs for Traffic Generators Adjacent to Freeways — 2001
2-15-5 — Destinations on Signs

5. — Control cities beyond the end of a highway:

A national or regional control city located beyond the end of a highway may be considered to be served by that highway if the connecting route:

a. Is of the same or higher classification, and

b. Continues in the same general direction as the ending highway, and

c. Carries considerable through traffic from the ending highway.

So I guess we have an answer for both of I-70's termini.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:08:25 PMDo we have an official definition thereof?

The current MUTCD uses the term control city without actually defining it.  However, § 2D.41 says that the final line of a three-line distance sign should be "the next major destination or control city," and § 2E.39 (for post-interchange distance signs on freeways) says (as part of a Standard statement) that "The third, or bottom line, shall contain the name and distance to a control city (if any) that has national significance for travelers using the route."

§ 2E.44 has a further mention providing for control city signing at freeway-to-freeway interchanges.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

I got yelled at once by some user on here when I showed a distance sign as an example of a control city. Looks like I wasn't in the wrong (and hence, puts me in the wrong in this case).

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:40:05 PM
I got yelled at once by some user on here when I showed a distance sign as an example of a control city. Looks like I wasn't in the wrong (and hence, puts me in the wrong in this case).

I didn't realize the third line was supposed to be a control city till now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2023, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 05, 2023, 12:40:05 PM

I didn't realize the third line was supposed to be a control city till now.

It was always my assumption, so that's why I was confused originally why I was told I was incorrect.

minneha

It's interesting and amusing to me that there are two Denver control city signs in Lawrence and Topeka. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there are no Denver signs between Topeka and Salina. I know from my own travels that there are no Denver signs between Salina and Hays. Commerce Parkway in Hays is where Denver begins to be consistently signed on westbound I-70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.