News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-71 Widening South of Columbus

Started by TempoNick, March 16, 2023, 09:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TempoNick

It looks like the road widening project covers about 12 or 13 miles of road through Ohio-56 near Mount Sterling. That leaves about a 12 mile gap with four lane highway between US-56 and Jeffersonville, connecting with three lanes in each direction around US-35/Ohio-435.

Do you guys know what the timetable is for widening that last 12 mile stretch? You know it's going to happen. The question is, when. They spent so much time fixing all the joints on that stretch of highway. They usually do that because they've got something major in the works and don't want to redo that section until they're ready to widen it.

Has there been any more six-laneing north of Cincinnati?

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on March 16, 2023, 09:01:10 PM
Has there been any more six-laneing north of Cincinnati?
The replaced Jeremiah Morrow Bridge has shoulders wide enough for an extra lane per direction, if that counts. Though there's no need for that to be an extra lane right now since it's still 4 lanes on both approaches to the bridge.

thenetwork

How much 2×2 lane is left on I-75 through Ohio?  Ditto for I-70 between the Indiana line and Columbus?  I know the ultimate goal for those stretches is 3×3 as well.

cl94

Quote from: thenetwork on March 19, 2023, 07:38:39 PM
How much 2×2 lane is left on I-75 through Ohio?  Ditto for I-70 between the Indiana line and Columbus?  I know the ultimate goal for those stretches is 3×3 as well.

I-75 is Troy to Findlay. No medium-term plans to widen that I'm aware of.

I-70 is down to west of Exit 29. The last bit around Springfield was finished within the past couple years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dvferyance

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2023, 08:01:10 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 19, 2023, 07:38:39 PM

I-75 is Troy to Findlay. No medium-term plans to widen that I'm aware of.

I-70 is down to west of Exit 29. The last bit around Springfield was finished within the past couple years.
I would extend the 3rd lane west to Exit 24.

carbaugh2

I drove through this work zone yesterday. Currently, southbound traffic is maintaining 2 lanes on the right side of the highway as they work on the left side. Based on the striping, it looks like traffic will be shifting to the left side soon. Northbound traffic is still largely unaffected.

The phasing of this project is what interest me the most. The work has been focused on the southbound lanes, so it appears the northbound traffic will be crossed over (finish grading is all that's left for them) and handled all at once rather than shifting sides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.