News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chattanooga I-24 Improvements

Started by Brian556, January 17, 2023, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on September 14, 2023, 10:03:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 13, 2023, 04:38:41 PM
The NEPA process is not all negative.  Had it existed when the IHS was conceived, the system actually might have been built better in much more helpful locations due to increased public input.

That assumes your public input doesn't consist entirely of unhelpful litigious NIMBYs and hardcore environmentalists, who tend to drown out other voices in these types of spaces. Agreed that NEPA isn't a total negative, but because it's so easy to challenge a big project, it usually winds up being a losing situation for everyone except the lawyers.

I disagree with your assessment of NIMBYs and environmentalists being the only ones showing up, given my experience with public involvement.

The flip side of your argument -- just building wherever without local input or concern for impact is just as destructive as being litigated into paralysis.

I mean, I attended a public meeting just the other night for a major bridge replacement and village downtown revitalization -- tens of millions in cost.  It was well intended by the public, whose comments and questions were pointed and informed -- especially ensuring that the Village's snow removal practices were taken into account and pedestrian accommodations on the bridge.  I don't think we would have been better off not putting sidewalks on the bridge or taking into account how business owners are responsible for clearing the sidewalks on their property.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 13, 2023, 11:35:37 AM
The United States should build more tunnels like the Big Dig and the Alaskan Way Viaduct Tunnel replacement. If they can do it overseas, they most certainly can find a way to do it here.
Completely agreed. It's so frustrating to see so many countries announce massive road tunnel projects and yet if it's proposed in the US it's too big or expensive for us to handle.

Georgia

They may have to improve the road farther to the east soon too given all the hazmat being spilled on the thing this year(residents have counted 4 spills in '23).

Even at 1am, there is still a small stretch closed over Kelly Street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.