News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

AzDOT is holding a public meeting on January 25 to discuss the conversion of the US 93/I-40 interchange into a free flowing interchange.

Bobby5280

Construction is expected to begin in 2024 and be complete in 2026. The only downside is this initial design will feature only two ramps (SB US-93 to EB I-40 and WB I-40 to NB US-93). Hopefully ADOT will at least secure enough ROW so 2 more ramps can be added in the future to make it a complete Y interchange.

Farther East the other I-40/US-93 interchange will need some improvement work if it is going to function as a future I-11 interchange.

splashflash

Proposed southern I-11segmemt still bedeviled by opposition

A proposed 280-mile extension from Wickenburg to Nogales would skirt the Tohono O'odham community.

Nuñez said the original plan called for I-11 to cut through a corner of the reservation.

"We told them "˜no,' we didn't agree with that,"  he said. "They should keep that corridor as far away from us as possible."

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/02/24/interstate-11-groups-square-off.html

Bobby5280

If it was up to me I'd simply upgrade the existing US-93 and US-60 alignments, with a half-loop around Wickenburg in the middle. Shift I-11 onto Loop 303 down to I-10 and be done with it. Wouldn't cause nearly as much heartburn with the tribes.

But, no. The real estate development knuckleheads just have to have I-11 run out West of the White Tank Mountains to fuel a bunch of planned communities that don't exist yet. Never mind the limited water supply or other issues.

Henry

Quote from: splashflash on February 26, 2023, 12:41:55 AM
Proposed southern I-11segmemt still bedeviled by opposition

A proposed 280-mile extension from Wickenburg to Nogales would skirt the Tohono O'odham community.

Nuñez said the original plan called for I-11 to cut through a corner of the reservation.

"We told them "˜no,' we didn't agree with that,"  he said. "They should keep that corridor as far away from us as possible."

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/02/24/interstate-11-groups-square-off.html
Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 27, 2023, 12:05:23 AM
If it was up to me I'd simply upgrade the existing US-93 and US-60 alignments, with a half-loop around Wickenburg in the middle. Shift I-11 onto Loop 303 down to I-10 and be done with it. Wouldn't cause nearly as much heartburn with the tribes.

But, no. The real estate development knuckleheads just have to have I-11 run out West of the White Tank Mountains to fuel a bunch of planned communities that don't exist yet. Never mind the limited water supply or other issues.
Good! I wouldn't want I-11 to go to Nogales either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

I wouldn't want I-11 to be a real estate project for new subdivisions when we don't even have enough water for the existing crops and subdivisions.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2023, 09:31:31 PM
I wouldn't want I-11 to be a real estate project for new subdivisions when we don't even have enough water for the existing crops and subdivisions.

Crops require far more water than subdivisions do, per acre.  Converting farm acreage to residential acreage is a far more efficient use of water.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Rothman

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 01, 2023, 10:15:34 PM

Crops require far more water than subdivisions do, per acre.  Converting farm acreage to residential acreage is a far more efficient use of water.
And then you have no food.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Yeah, but I don't think the area they plan to put subdivisions is cropland now.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2023, 10:49:01 PM

Yeah, but I don't think the area they plan to put subdivisions is cropland now.

You must not be familiar with the history of residential development in metro Phoenix.  Most were built on what had been farmland or citrus groves, especially in the far-east (Mesa/Gilbert/Queen Creek) and far-west/northwest (Peoria/El Mirage/Surprise/Sun City/Buckeye) parts of the Valley.  It's been Standard Procedure since the end of World War II, if not before.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

DenverBrian

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2023, 10:19:41 PM

Food is hardly an issue these days. Water, yes; food, no.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2023, 10:19:41 PM

Plenty of farmland that doesn't have an oversubscribed river as its only water source.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bobby5280

There isn't any "farm land" where they're proposing to route the I-11 alignment. All that area around Buckyeye and past the White Tanks is just arid scrub land. It's the freaking desert.

Concrete Bob

Most of the seasonal mass-grown citrus and avocados delivered to the US for consumption comes from Mexico, nowadays.

kernals12

Quote from: Concrete Bob on March 04, 2023, 12:10:29 AM
Most of the seasonal mass-grown citrus and avocados delivered to the US for consumption comes from Mexico, nowadays.

Thanks to their infectiously catchy jingle

kernals12

AzDOT's 5 year capital plan includes 3 widenings of US-93: Cane Springs, near Wickenburg, and Big Jim Wash.

abqtraveler

Quote from: kernals12 on March 04, 2023, 07:31:03 AM
AzDOT's 5 year capital plan includes 3 widenings of US-93: Cane Springs, near Wickenburg, and Big Jim Wash.
It's baby steps toward converting US-93 to I-11, but something is better than nothing.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

kernals12

Construction is underway on widening a 5 mile portion of US 93 north of Wickenburg to a 4 lane divided highway

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-begins-us-93-widening-project-near-wickenburg

Bobby5280

If they're including frontage roads then at least some of that route segment could incorporate I-11 in the future. ADOT really has to work on establishing a bypass route around Wickenburg for I-11.

The Ghostbuster

There are still four segments of US 93 between AZ 89 (former US 89) and Interstate 40 that still need to be four-laned, plus some sort of bypass of Wikieup will need to be constructed. I can't imagine many interchanges will be constructed along this segment of future Interstate 11, since there is very little along that portion of US 93.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 24, 2023, 11:54:07 AM
There are still four segments of US 93 between AZ 89 (former US 89) and Interstate 40 that still need to be four-laned, plus some sort of bypass of Wikieup will need to be constructed.

And it has to happen ASAP.  Today, there was yet another wreck that closed the entire segment of 93 between I-40 and AZ 71.

QuoteI can't imagine many interchanges will be constructed along this segment of future Interstate 11, since there is very little along that portion of US 93.

The only highways that will need full interchanges are AZ 89, AZ 71, AZ 97, and I-40.  There will be a few for county roads, including a Wickieup exit, one at Burro Creek Campground, and one at the north side of Wickenburg that is soon to be 4-laned, that will also have to be built.  But there are about 30 or so ranch access turnoffs that will have to be accommodated, either by keeping them as at-grade turnoffs (despite the "rules" for interstates) or via frontage roads with ramps at either end.

JREwing78

Quote from: kernals12 on March 23, 2023, 11:13:23 PM
Construction is underway on widening a 5 mile portion of US 93 north of Wickenburg to a 4 lane divided highway

4 roundabouts does not make this an urban freeway in any shape or form. I mean, great, it's not 2 laned anymore. But this is going to require another project to eventually punch an interstate through there. This is telling me that ADOT isn't in a hurry to extend I-11 to Phoenix.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 26, 2023, 01:36:46 PM

4 roundabouts does not make this an urban freeway in any shape or form. I mean, great, it's not 2 laned anymore. But this is going to require another project to eventually punch an interstate through there. This is telling me that ADOT isn't in a hurry to extend I-11 to Phoenix.

If US 93 was brought up to four lane expressway standards between I-40 and US 60 the corridor would function perfectly adequately.  As the years wear on I increasingly have come to suspect that I-11 might never make past Kingman.

Bobby5280

Roundabouts do not have to be a permanent thing at all. For example, the south end of the Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas had a roundabout incorporated into the intersection for a few years. That thing was removed when I-49 was phased into its final configuration.

Nevertheless, if I-11 is ever built into the Wickenburg area the freeway will have to go around around Wickenburg somehow. And that might mean going around some of those improvements to existing US-93.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 26, 2023, 01:36:46 PM

I-11 is supposed to veer south from the current US 93 a bit northwest of the AZ 89 exit.  These roundabouts will not be a part of the freeway.

http://i11study.com/arizona/map.asp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.