Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

^ That is true, I underestimated that distance in my head.

Both the left and right shoulder on the approach would need to taper down around 400-500 ft I'm roughly guessing, and assuming a 70 mph design speed.

However, immediately on the other side of the bridge, the shoulder can just appear again fully, it doesn't need to taper back.

Rick Powell

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 24, 2023, 08:58:20 AM
^ That is true, I underestimated that distance in my head.

Both the left and right shoulder on the approach would need to taper down around 400-500 ft I'm roughly guessing, and assuming a 70 mph design speed.

However, immediately on the other side of the bridge, the shoulder can just appear again fully, it doesn't need to taper back.

The outside shoulders can appear fully once the roadway clears the bridge on the departure end. However, the inside (median) shoulders, if they were tapered in, would also need to be tapered back out if there was an associated travel lane shift to shoehorn 4 lanes into the space.

Moose

That railroad bridge dates from the initial construction of 465.

Look at the 6th flat area from the right of the bridge. You can still faintly see the mounting plate for a Pennsylvania Railroad Keystone sign.

This bridge once had a twin (built about the same time).. it spanned I-65 in Jeffersonville.

The railroad at this point, belongs to the short line Louisville and Indiana. However CSX has an easement agreement over the line.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Moose on February 05, 2023, 07:09:32 PM
Look at the 6th flat area from the right of the bridge. You can still faintly see the mounting plate for a Pennsylvania Railroad Keystone sign.
The railroad at this point, belongs to the short line Louisville and Indiana. However CSX has an easement agreement over the line.
The L&I still incorporates the PRR "keystone" in its logo. Maybe the new bridge gets a similar logo sign?
https://www.anacostia.com/railroads/lirc

ITB

Got some pictures for you guys. Photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted. They can be expanded; just Right Click or follow the procedures of your browser.

I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone; looking northwest from the under construction Epler Avenue bridge that will go over I-69 in southern Marion County. Eight lanes of I-69 will be placed on the raised earthwork berm. The natural gas-fired Harding Street Generating Station is in background right.

Slightly closer look. While a good amount of pile driving has been completed for the interchange's bridges, work continues to finish up.

Closer look using the long range lens. Note the pile driving rig on the right.

Turning around, the view looking southeast from the Epler Avenue bridge. I-69 will be coming right through here.

Different perspective showing what seems to be the on-ramp (on the right) from Epler Avenue to southbound I-69. Only a partial interchange will be built at Epler – a northbound off-ramp and a southbound on-ramp.

Epler Avenue; looking west from the bridge that will take Epler over I-69. The coated rebar will support the raised concrete median. Hard to believe this is in Marion County. There's a old neighborhood down that way called Sunshine Gardens, which features houses on large lots. This was discussed a few pages back. In the opposite direction, the area is light industrial.

Another view of the I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone; looking northwest.

Bundles of rebar on the Epler Avenue bridge; looking west.

Another of the system interchange work zone; looking northwest. I-465 is located in the background.

View using the long range lens looking southeast from the Epler Avenue bridge; State Road 37 in the background.

And another looking southeast from Epler.

One more of the system interchange work zone.

More pics to follow.

ITB

Another batch. Again, the photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

The bridge that will carry Smith Valley Road over I-69 in Johnson County; looking east. It appears everything is set up for the deck pour; just waiting for the warmer days of spring. If February temps stay moderate, the pour might be undertaken sooner rather than later.

Looking northeast from the western abutment of the Smith Valley Road overpass. While work continues on the new northbound lanes, all traffic currently uses the recently completed southbound roadway.

The Smith Valley Road bridge with falsework in place; looking east. Falsework allows construction team members to safely navigate the work area.

Looking southeast from the Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange work zone.

Bridge deck finisher in place on the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east.

Using the long range lens, looking south from the Smith Valley work zone. Visible in the background is the State Road 144 overpass (expand the photo); that's a distance of three miles.

Another shot ooking northeast toward State Road 37 and the future I-69 southbound off-ramp to Smith Valley Road.

What the eye sees looking southeast from the Smith Valley work zone. The SR 144 overpass is down that way, but not quite visible.

Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east.

Western roundabout at the Smith Valley Road interchange; looking east. Looks like the roadway will be built up significantly.

Closer look of the bridge deck finisher placed on rails at the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east.

Another view looking northeast from the Smith Valley work zone. On the right, the MSE retaining wall will help support the on-ramp to I-69 northbound.

The bridge deck of the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east. A sliver of Smith Valley Road is visible in the background (best seen if the photo is expanded).

Moose

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 05, 2023, 08:38:36 PM
The L&I still incorporates the PRR "keystone" in its logo. Maybe the new bridge gets a similar logo sign?

We can hope, but I haven't seen one in any of the other railroads bridges.

But once, long ago.. in the 60s and 70s, there was an authentic PRR keystone there. And one for the westbound lanes on the far side.

davewiecking

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 05, 2023, 08:38:36 PM

What new bridge? Please go back and reread Reply 4589. (Edited to fix #)

Rick Powell

:sombrero:
Quote from: davewiecking on February 06, 2023, 07:47:32 PM
What new bridge? Please go back and reread Reply 4289.
You mean 4589 :sombrero: I'd forgotten the original discussion about keeping the old RR overpass when lanes are added to 465.
It's due for a re-painting at least...and doubtful they'd replace a railroad logo sign in a repainting.

JREwing78

Quote from: ITB on February 06, 2023, 05:41:28 PM
Another batch. Again, the photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

Again, wanted to express appreciation for the great coverage!

At least in the Fiirefox browser, left-cliicking the image causes it to resize to full size in the window.

silverback1065

it always amazes me how old rail bridges are that are still in service. and they always look like they are about to fall apart  :-D

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: ITB on February 06, 2023, 04:17:12 PM

Got some pictures for you guys. Photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted. They can be expanded; just Right Click or follow the procedures of your browser.

I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone; looking northwest from the under construction Epler Avenue bridge that will go over I-69 in southern Marion County. Eight lanes of I-69 will be placed on the raised earthwork berm. The natural gas-fired Harding Street Generating Station is in background right.

Slightly closer look. While a good amount of pile driving has been completed for the interchange's bridges, work continues to finish up.

Turning around, the view looking southeast from the Epler Avenue bridge. I-69 will be coming right through here.

Different perspective showing what seems to be the on-ramp (on the right) from Epler Avenue to southbound I-69. Only a partial interchange will be built at Epler – a northbound off-ramp and a southbound on-ramp.

Epler Avenue; looking west from the bridge that will take Epler over I-69. The coated rebar will support the raised concrete median. Hard to believe this is in Marion County. There's a old neighborhood down that way called Sunshine Gardens, which features houses on large lots. This was discussed a few pages back. In the opposite direction, the area is light industrial.

Another of the system interchange work zone; looking northwest. I-465 is located in the background.

View using the long range lens looking southeast from the Epler Avenue bridge; State Road 37 in the background.

More pics to follow.

When ITB can see the I-69 construction, we'll have an early spring.

silverback1065

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 07, 2023, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: ITB on February 06, 2023, 04:17:12 PM

More pics to follow.

When ITB can see the I-69 construction, we'll have an early spring.

:-D I hope so, I hate the winter!  :-D

ITB

Here's a few of the State Road 144 work zone. Photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County. All four ramps are now open at SR 144 interchange. Work is still ongoing, however, on the southbound mainline bridge over Bluff Creek. After that completes, traffic will be shifted, and work will commence on the corresponding northbound bridge.

Using the long range lens, the view looking north from the SR 144 overpass. The Smith Valley Road overpass is in the background.

Southbound on-ramp at the SR144/I-69 interchange; looking south.

Another shot looking south from the SR 144 overpass.

Lightening fixtures at the SR 144 overpass; looking slightly northeast from the interchange's western traffic roundabout.

Another view looking north from the bridge.

Slightly different perspective looking north.

Contractor field office – either for Crider & Crider or Rieth-Riley, or probably both as the project's a JV – on the western frontage road just south of the Smith Valley Road work zone; looking northwest. Google maps has the frontage road south of Smith Valley as Old State Road 37, while north of Smith, it's Bluffdale Drive.

Looking east toward CR 144 from the eastern roundabout of the SR 144 interchange.

And one more looking north.

Winter's all but over here in central and southern Indiana. High temps are forecast to be in the 40s and 50s for the next two weeks, with only one day expected to drop into the high 30s. That leaves only a window of two weeks or so for a cold snap. It's looking increasingly unlikely that will happen. If it snows again, which is certainly possible, it will melt quickly as it usually does in late February and early March. For road construction, this mild weather – can we say "early spring" – is a plus, plus. We might very well see an early start to the construction season.

zzcarp

Quote from: ITB on February 07, 2023, 12:45:51 PM
Winter's all but over here in central and southern Indiana. High temps are forecast to be in the 40s and 50s for the next two weeks, with only one day expected to drop into the high 30s. That leaves only a window of two weeks or so for a cold snap. It's looking increasingly unlikely that will happen. If it snows again, which is certainly possible, it will melt quickly as it usually does in late February and early March. For road construction, this mild weather – can we say "early spring" – is a plus, plus. We might very well see an early start to the construction season.

It seems like you're correct, ITB. According to the I-69 Finish Line Twitter feed, crews were able to place concrete today.
https://twitter.com/I69FinishLine/status/1624155771104550932
So many miles and so many roads

NWI_Irish96

Apparently winter's over for every part of the state. To date, we've had less than 10 inches of snow in total, and never more than 2-3 inches on the ground at any one time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

rte66man

Here's a few of the State Road 144 work zone. Photos were taken Sunday, February 5, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

Looking east toward CR 144 from the eastern roundabout of the SR 144 interchange.

I see concrete formed to look like brick and think, "Wow, will that ever be slick when it rains."
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mgk920

That's just the truck apron around that roundabout, the main traffic part is normally paved as per SOP.

Mike

RIndy

For month of March--Over the course of two weekends in March the traffic patterns on I-465 on the southwest side of Indianapolis will change dramatically.  The new configuration will allow I-69 Finish Line to enter its next phase of construction: widening and rebuilding I-465 eastbound, which will include a new bridge over the White River.

The work needed to move all traffic onto the westbound lanes of I-465 is very weather dependent — temperatures can't be too cold and pavement has to be completely dry.  Crews are targeting the weekends of March 10-13 and March 17-20 to make the switch, but those dates are subject to change.

465/Harding--During the first weekend traffic on westbound I-465 between I-65 and I-70 will be limited to a single lane from 8 p.m. on Friday to 5 a.m. on Monday. The restrictions will allow crews to shift westbound lanes to the north in preparation for an eastbound switch later in the month.

To reduce traffic volume and conflict points, several westbound entrance ramps onto I-465 will close during the weekend double lane restrictions. From Friday at 8 p.m. to Monday at 5 a.m. access to I-465 westbound from I-65 southbound, I-65 northbound, U.S. 31 southbound, U.S. 31 northbound, and S.R 37 (Harding Street) will be closed.

During the second weekend, eastbound I-465 will be restricted to a single lane of traffic from 8 p.m. on Friday through 5 a.m. on Monday.  The double lane closure on eastbound I-465 will allow crews to shift all I-465 traffic onto the westbound lanes.

To reduce traffic volume and conflict points, several eastbound entrance ramps to I-465 will close during the weekend double lane restrictions. From Friday 8 p.m. to Monday 5 a.m. access to I-465 eastbound from I-70 eastbound, S.R. 67 (Kentucky Avenue), Mann Road, S.R. 37 (Harding Street), U.S. 31 southbound, and U.S. 31 northbound will be closed.

Be sure to follow I-69 Finish Line on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest on the timing of the two weekends of lane restrictions and ramp closures.  There will be more details and traffic maps in next week's On Track.

ITB

Took some photos today. Nothing special. I was hoping to meander into the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone, but, surprisingly, work was underway. And this was Sunday, a little after 5 pm. Just a couple of dozers plugging away, but that made it an active site, so it was a no go. Anyway, I snapped a few from the Epler Avenue bridge work zone and a few more from the Southport Road overpass, both of which were inactive.

Photos were taken Sunday, April 2, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

In Marion County, looking northwest from the new Epler Avenue bridge that will go over I-69. Pictured is the path of mainline I-69. Now, it seems as if the road will be constructed on top of the dirt. But that's isn't so because that mound is a surcharge that has been placed to help compact the soil underneath. The following picture helps show this.

New Epler Avenue bridge and surcharge mound of dirt in the background; looking northwest. At some point, probably this summer, crews will begin to remove the surcharge, in preparation for the construction of the mainline that will pass under the overpass.

Slightly closer look.

And they'll be moving that dirt with these behemoths. These articulated dump trucks are big. Really big. The photo doesn't quite convey how large they really are.

Another vantage point of the Epler Avenue bridge; looking north.

Looking northwest again from the Epler Avenue overpass. Note the long MSE wall on the right. It's still challenging to determine what part of the interchange is what, but it seems that MSE wall will help support the ramp from I-69 northbound to I-465 eastbound.

Closer look. In the background is the bridge where beams were recently placed. I'm not sure what that bridge will carry, but it's possible it will be the ramp from northbound I-69 to I-465 west.

Slightly closer view.

And here's that bridge from another viewpoint; looking east.

Earth work on the western edge of the I-69/I-465 work zone; looking northwest. Looks like grading is underway for the exit ramp from I-465 east to I-69 south.

Dozer moving dirt at the I-69/I-465 work zone; looking east. The bridge pictured above is just to the right out of view.

Another perspective of the I-69/I-465 work zone from the Epler Avenue overpass; looking northwest.

Looking southeast from the Epler Avenue bridge. The I-69 mainline will be coming right through here. State Road 37 is in the background.

Different vantage point looking southeast from Epler.

Another view of the recently built Epler Avenue bridge; looking northwest.

One more looking northwest from near the Epler bridge.

ITB

Few more. Again, photos were taken Sunday, April 2, 2023.

In southern Marion County, looking north from the Southport Road overpass. The new northbound lanes appear to nearing be completion. When that occurs, all traffic will shifted to that roadway, and construction will commence on the southbound lanes and the new southbound bridge over Little Buck Creek.

Sightly different vantage point. Currently, only the exit ramp from southbound SR 37 to Southport Road is open. The southbound entrance ramp SR 37 seems complete, but barricades close it off. Unfortunately, no photos looking south from Southport. There's a wide sidewalk on the north side of the bridge, but nothing on the south. Moreover, all Southport traffic is currently being routed across the bridge on the east bound lanes. To go over that way seemed a bit dicey.

And here's the southbound exit ramp to Southport; looking north.

Long range shot looking north from the Southport overpass.

Different perspective looking northeast showing the new bridges over Little Buck Creek – one for the northbound mainline, the other, the northbound entrance ramp from Southport.

Closer look.

Another looking north from Southport. Note how the northbound roadway, just past the bridge over Little Buck Creek, begins to rise to go over Banta Road. This can be better viewed when the photo is expanded. The bridge over Banta is all but complete. A little beyond that point, the mainline will curve left, deviating away from State Road 37, where it then go underneath Epler Avenue and on up to the new I-69/I-465 system interchange.

And here is Epler Avenue and its approach to the bridge over I-69; looking west. Even through "closed road" signage and barricades are in place, I witnessed a couple of vehicles use the bridge, crossing west to east.

Epler Avenue, looking west from the west end of the bridge.

Posts and sections of guardrail at the Epler bridge work zone; looking east.

Ready to rumble come Monday morning; Epler work zone, looking southeast.

One more. Looking north toward the Epler Avenue bridge.

Rick Powell

It sure looks like everything south of the 465 interchange is likely to be done by end of this year.

FixThe74Sign

I drove 465 today on the southside and boy, Walsh is going balls to the walls right now. An absolute TON of activity was seen from SR67 all the way to US31. It's quite impressive to see the flurry of activity. Over the weekend, they had restricted 465 Eastbound to one lane to in order to get a new traffic pattern setup. Most of the traffic has been shifted as far north on 465 as possible, so most of the work is on the south side of 465. I do not think I have ever driven past work zone as busy as this.

I was not planning on posting these pictures, but instead just describe them, but I decided to take some screen grabs from my dashcam. Obviously, these are not as high quality as ITB's photos, and maybe if I were to plan better, I could have been in the right lane the whole time. I might even just drive it and post the whole video in the future.

Either way, here we go.

Getting onto 465 East from SR67. We can see lots of utility work here.

More work on the shoulder.

Work near White River bridge. Unfortunately, there was a wall of trucks blocking most of my views here.

Just past the White River bridge, approaching the future 465 and 69 interchange.

Old pavement being ground up into the large trucks highlighted in IBT's post. We can see built up bridge approaches as well.

Better view of the 465 and 69 interchange.

We can see bridge columns and ramps being built up here.

Past the 465 and 69 interchange, approaching the current SR37 exit.

The best view of the work at SR37 I got while going the other way.

Working going on past SR37.

Final activity before reaching the US31 interchange.

Buck87

Quote from: ITB on April 02, 2023, 11:10:30 PM

Another vantage point of the Epler Avenue bridge; looking north.

Looks like a messy situation here!

BTW, thanks for all these pics, ITB. It's been interesting following this project.

Life in Paradise

Latest timeline for the gap between I-69 in Vanderburgh County (Evansville) and Henderson County KY has it open by 2031 with the actual bridge not beginning construction until 2027.  I know that they are looking for ways to start that sooner, but you would think that they might have started the bridge earlier since it is the longest part of the construction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.