News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation Project

Started by Beltway, November 16, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 06, 2022, 01:30:27 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 01, 2022, 01:06:34 PMPennDOT - District 3 News: Wolf Administration Announces Bids Opened for First Contract for Southern Section of CSVT

I have downloaded the plans and proposal attachments for this project, which is ECMS 76401.  At 4.15 GB, the documentation package is quite large for a contract that is mainly grading and culverts with one road bridge and a modest amount of secondary road paving.

Apologies for pulling up this old post, but I'm curious if this is something that's publicly available for download. An initial search of ecms.penndot.gov (while logged in as a guest) returns that I'm not authorized to perform the requested action.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

webny99

We're lucky to have Brian Benfer and his powered parachute keeping the public updated on the CSVT project. Current pictures and videos can be found on Brian's CSVT Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/CSVTAerialPics/

There's still a lot of earthwork to be done but the project is progressing nicely overall. Beams have been set at the new Sunbury Rd overpass which is on track to open later this year, and the two new roundabouts at Mill/Airport and Mill/App Rd are now visible. In addition, Park Rd is closed so that it and Colonial Drive can be reconfigured. Once that's complete, Fisher Rd will be split in two. North of CSVT, it will be realigned to meet Park Rd, and south of CSVT, it will become a permanent dead end.

webny99

Another thought...

Once CSVT is complete, is there any reason for PA 61 to continue across the Susquehanna River via the Veterans Memorial Bridge? It would be concurrent with PA 147 on the bridge and new connector before arbitrarily terminating at US 15, while PA 147 would continue north concurrent with 15. Seems just as effective for PA 61 to terminate at 147 east of the river, leaving 147 as the sole designation on the bridge and connector. This would greatly simplify the signage on the bridge approaches and junctions with the new connector.

Dough4872

Quote from: webny99 on August 17, 2023, 10:16:33 PM
Another thought...

Once CSVT is complete, is there any reason for PA 61 to continue across the Susquehanna River via the Veterans Memorial Bridge? It would be concurrent with PA 147 on the bridge and new connector before arbitrarily terminating at US 15, while PA 147 would continue north concurrent with 15. Seems just as effective for PA 61 to terminate at 147 east of the river, leaving 147 as the sole designation on the bridge and connector. This would greatly simplify the signage on the bridge approaches and junctions with the new connector.

It's probably still being signed in order to guide motorists from US 11 and US 15 to PA 61, even though there is really no reason for it to end at US 15 while concurrent with PA 147.

Alps

Quote from: Dough4872 on August 18, 2023, 07:46:01 AM
Another thought...

It's probably still being signed in order to guide motorists from US 11 and US 15 to PA 61, even though there is really no reason for it to end at US 15 while concurrent with PA 147.
Yeah, I imagine all you'd get out of this is a "TO" that actually may add confusion vs. just keeping the route as is. Who knows.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on August 18, 2023, 03:24:27 PM
Quote from: Dough4872 on August 18, 2023, 07:46:01 AM
Another thought...

Yeah, I imagine all you'd get out of this is a "TO" that actually may add confusion vs. just keeping the route as is. Who knows.

Well the "TOs" later got added to PA 764 south of Altoona so I am unsure if it is concurrent with US 22 or not.

webny99

I wouldn't think TO banners would be needed for 61, as 147 already goes to Sunbury and 61 signage could be introduced there. It's not a big issue, but there will be a lot of routes converging in Shamokin Dam.

jpi

When I am back in the Harrisburg area next month I plan to take a side trip up this way to check out the construction.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

webny99

webny99

Another video update from Brian's CSVT showing significant progress on the southern section as night work starts this week. Of particular note is the bridge over Sunbury Rd nearing completion, the future PA 61 connector taking shape, a new (but only half-finished) traffic pattern at Park Rd/Fisher Rd, and the two new roundabouts at Mill/Airport and Mill/App.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmhfna15ns

jpi

When I was in central PA 2 weeks ago I managed to get some pics from "ground level" of the construction along the southern CSVT, I will be posting them on my facebook page by later this weekend
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

webny99

We finally have full Street View coverage of the completed northern section!  :cheers:

A few highlights focused on the new overhead signage installed this spring:
US 15 NB https://maps.app.goo.gl/R5FsmgNq85EkMnsg8
US 15 SB https://maps.app.goo.gl/AAoLGT2wuiArNUvq6
CSVT NB https://maps.app.goo.gl/XzrmC7oNzvPNTx9P9
CSVT SB (1) https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vs4Hr5KYyHrv3amm9
CSVT SB (2) https://maps.app.goo.gl/Em8Y2QizGNQfLVfh6
CSVT SB ramp to 15 SB https://maps.app.goo.gl/KxfbvmLaoL18zitj9

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.