News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoiraPrime

An example of a route that shows up in old TIGER data as one is Audubon Drive in Laurel... which shows as MS 15 Business, and you can still see the MS 15 shield on it in Google Maps for some reason.

rlb2024

Quote from: oscar on December 12, 2022, 05:32:18 PM
Mississippi seems to use MS 1xx state routes instead of business US routes (for example, MS 145, MS 178, MS 184, MS 198). I don't know whether all the MS 1xx routes used to be signed as Business US xx.
I don't think that's always the case.  It seems to me that the 1xx designation is usually utilized when a bypass is built around a city or town; for example, when US 45 was routed onto a bypass to the east of Meridian the old routing through town became MS 145.

Georgia

the 1xx designation typically just is meant to indicate an old alignment of the highway, i.e. 178 in the NE part of the state

kenarmy

When and why was MS 15 changed from being a continuous route? And I've noticed Google maps still has it on I-110 despite being truncated.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

MoiraPrime

Quote from: kenarmy on December 14, 2022, 06:47:54 PM
When and why was MS 15 changed from being a continuous route? And I've noticed Google maps still has it on I-110 despite being truncated.

MS 15 has always had a gap between Perry and Stone county as far as I know. I am aware from looking at MDOT Linear reference model data that they seem to have a continuous route on their wishlist, with a road to fill in that gap down as "proposed".

Mapmikey

Quote from: MoiraPrime on December 27, 2022, 05:13:48 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on December 14, 2022, 06:47:54 PM
MS 15 has always had a gap between Perry and Stone county as far as I know. I am aware from looking at MDOT Linear reference model data that they seem to have a continuous route on their wishlist, with a road to fill in that gap down as "proposed".

MS 15 was continuous from US 90 to Laurel and beyond from at least 1960-65.  Oddly, it replaced MS 57 south of US 98 in 1959-60 and MS 57 was moved east to replace MS 59 (presumably to eliminate coincidence numbering with I-59)...why not just replace MS 59 with MS 15?

1960 Official - https://mdot.ms.gov/documents/Planning/Maps/State%20Hwy%20Archive/HWY%20Map%201960%20Front.pdf

froggie

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2022, 06:36:35 PM
why not just replace MS 59 with MS 15?

Three reasons.  First, Mississippi has a grid for their state route system that they've generally tried to adhere to.  Second, a route directly to Biloxi was seen as more of a priority route than to what was then (and still generally is) a hole-in-the-wall in rural Jackson County.  Third, state highways in Mississippi are not official unless/until they've been codified in state law, so this is how the legislators did that (and we all know how well they handle logic).

Plutonic Panda

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 13, 2023, 03:51:12 PM
Mississippi DOT just got a big 1.5 billion dollar funding boost. Good to help with needed projects: https://transportationtodaynews.com/news/30129-mississippi-legislature-approves-nearly-2b-in-infrastructure-investment/?amp
Heh.  $10 says most of it was just their usual annual appropriation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on April 13, 2023, 04:23:50 PM
Mississippi DOT just got a big 1.5 billion dollar funding boost. Good to help with needed projects: https://transportationtodaynews.com/news/30129-mississippi-legislature-approves-nearly-2b-in-infrastructure-investment/?amp
I read the article it was more 620 million additional funding. Is that right?

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 13, 2023, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 13, 2023, 04:23:50 PM
I read the article it was more 620 million additional funding. Is that right?
Maybe.  You never can tell with the releases.

I don't understand states that specifically allocate funds to match federal.  Not sure why a state would limit flexibility like that.  Glad I live in a state where projects can more easily slide between federal and 100% state.  I mean, what happens when the Feds come at you with a supplemental appropriation?  You have to get another appropriation from the State? Eesh.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

The $1.5B is their usual annual appropriation from the Legislature, and is barely $6M more than last year's annual.

I haven't been able to find the specific legislation for the $620M "supplemental" funding, but it appears to be a one-time addition on top of MDOT's normal annual funding.  The governor apparently requested $1.3B for such back in February.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2023, 09:42:37 PM
The $1.5B is their usual annual appropriation from the Legislature, and is barely $6M more than last year's annual.

I haven't been able to find the specific legislation for the $620M "supplemental" funding, but it appears to be a one-time addition on top of MDOT's normal annual funding.  The governor apparently requested $1.3B for such back in February.
Let's just say "Hollywood accounting" sometimes pertains to state budgets for particular purposes.

I've seen too many "new" initiatives carved out of rolling over appropriations or funded through various forms of borrowing.

They say "additional appropriation" and I ask, "Which Peter was robbed to pay Paul?"

(personal opinion emphasized)

I-55

Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Stephane Dumas

mvak36

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 24, 2023, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: I-55 on April 20, 2023, 10:37:51 PM
The new segment of Corridor V has opened.

https://www.wtva.com/news/highway-76-extension-opens-tuesday-morning-in-itawamba-county/article_d9bb6f54-d7e9-11ed-a2e4-131e3e87eb77.html

Which remaining segments of Corridor V need to be built?

According to the status report from last year, the project that just got completed was the last segment in Mississippi. In Alabama, There's $155 million of work left to complete it. I'm not sure where that work is located along the corridor or when they'll complete it.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

codyg1985

Quote from: mvak36 on April 25, 2023, 01:05:01 PM

https://www.wtva.com/news/highway-76-extension-opens-tuesday-morning-in-itawamba-county/article_d9bb6f54-d7e9-11ed-a2e4-131e3e87eb77.html

According to the status report from last year, the project that just got completed was the last segment in Mississippi. In Alabama, There's $155 million of work left to complete it. I'm not sure where that work is located along the corridor or when they'll complete it.

If I had to guess, what is left in Alabama is along US 72 in Huntsville. Upgrading the intersections with Moores Mill Road and Shields Road into an interchange has been sought by local leaders. I think it may have been added to the ADHS so that it could be funded, but no funding has come from it as of yet.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mvak36 on April 25, 2023, 01:05:01 PM

For a moment, I thought a future upgrade of MS-25 between I-22 and Amory was part of Corridor V, hence the confusion.

The Ghostbuster

There is a roadway off the end of the MS 25 north exit on Interstate 22 to Benson Jones Rd. That wasn't to have been part of a MS 25 realignment, was it?

froggie

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 26, 2023, 09:55:48 AM
There is a roadway off the end of the MS 25 north exit on Interstate 22 to Benson Jones Rd. That wasn't to have been part of a MS 25 realignment, was it?

Very long term goal, but not part of Corridor V.

codyg1985

Mississippi DOT has recently created a website that helps track projects in progress and those recently completed.

https://path.mdot.ms.gov/ProjMap
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tom958

The Streetview for US 72 at MS 7 is from this month and shows construction underway for the new roundabout (WTF?) there. I haven't seen anything online about it, but a roundabout strikes me as an odd choice on a highway with a 100-foot median.

froggie

^ Cody Goodman mentioned that project on Facebook.  I did some looking and MDOT is using FHWA HSIP funding for that project, which suggests that there's a crash problem.

Medians can be narrowed on an approach to a roundabout...you want to do that anyway to get the chicane effect and slow traffic before it enters.  I don't see the median width as a problem.

Tom958

Quote from: froggie on June 16, 2023, 08:30:48 PM
^ Cody Goodman mentioned that project on Facebook.  I did some looking and MDOT is using FHWA HSIP funding for that project, which suggests that there's a crash problem.

Medians can be narrowed on an approach to a roundabout...you want to do that anyway to get the chicane effect and slow traffic before it enters.  I don't see the median width as a problem.

Georgia installed this roundabout after a series of fatal crashes on the brand-new Gray bypass. As you can see here, with the highway's 44-foot median, only a minor adjustment to the entering roadways were required. With a 100-foot median, though, a much greater relocation will be required. If the intersection was more of a right angle, I suspect that adjustments would be required for both the entering and the exiting roadways in order to bring them close enough together. In this case, though, with MS 7 intersecting at a pretty major skew, I guess much longer relocations of both entering roadways will be used in order to square up the intersection.

Whatever they do, I find it strange that there's no specific information about it that's easily discoverable online. many agencies would be humble-bragging about their carefully-considered and innovative approach to this situation, and even if there's been some hostility to the concept, surely it'd be helpful for users, especially locals, to have the chance to fully understand what's being built, why, and how to use it once it opens.

froggie

Quote from: Tom958 on June 17, 2023, 05:57:48 AM
Whatever they do, I find it strange that there's no specific information about it that's easily discoverable online. many agencies would be humble-bragging about their carefully-considered and innovative approach to this situation, and even if there's been some hostility to the concept, surely it'd be helpful for users, especially locals, to have the chance to fully understand what's being built, why, and how to use it once it opens.

This is nothing new for MDOT.  They have long been reluctant to post such project information online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.