News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Houston and Cloverleafs

Started by CoreySamson, December 08, 2020, 08:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quick question, did Houston ever have any cloverleafs other than the one at Memorial and Waugh and the two in the Woodlands? Maybe someone a bit older can answer this for me.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MaxConcrete

See page 104 of the Houston Freeways book
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/pdf/CH2_freeway_metropolis_pp92-115_72.pdf

During the entire history of Houston's freeway system, there has been only one loop connection in all the region's freeway-to-freeway interchanges. That connection, at the Eastex-East Freeway interchange downtown, was removed in 2000 and replaced with a direct connector ramp. A few loop connections exist at freeway-to-highway intersections, mainly along older sections of freeway. However, two new loop connections will appear at the intersection of the Sam Houston Tollway and the Westpark Tollway, scheduled for completion in 2005.

I had actually forgotten about the loop connector at IH69 and IH10, which was for the northbound to westbound connection. Those two loop connectors at the Sam Houston Tollway and Westpark Tollway are still there, and there are no current plans to replace them with ramps. Loop connectors at freeway-street intersections are increasingly rare, with several along the Gulf Freeway removed in recent years.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheBox

Quote from: MaxConcrete on December 08, 2020, 09:01:17 PM
See page 104 of the Houston Freeways book
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/pdf/CH2_freeway_metropolis_pp92-115_72.pdf

During the entire history of Houston's freeway system, there has been only one loop connection in all the region's freeway-to-freeway interchanges. That connection, at the Eastex-East Freeway interchange downtown, was removed in 2000 and replaced with a direct connector ramp. A few loop connections exist at freeway-to-highway intersections, mainly along older sections of freeway. However, two new loop connections will appear at the intersection of the Sam Houston Tollway and the Westpark Tollway, scheduled for completion in 2005.

I had actually forgotten about the loop connector at IH69 and IH10, which was for the northbound to westbound connection. Those two loop connectors at the Sam Houston Tollway and Westpark Tollway are still there, and there are no current plans to replace them with ramps. Loop connectors at freeway-street intersections are increasingly rare, with several along the Gulf Freeway removed in recent years.
Several loop connectors of freeway-street intersections along I-69/US-59 in the Richmond-Rosenburg were also removed not too long ago
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

kernals12

You guys are lucky. Cloverleaves are a menace.

bluecountry

Why aren't there cloverleafs?

kernals12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.