News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

tolbs17 in one thread

Started by tolbs17, March 18, 2021, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Occidental Tourist

Maybe tolbs17 is really short.

Scott5114

Most signs are overhead if you're not in a car. But most people take "overhead" to mean "posted above the travel lanes".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Occidental Tourist

interstatefan990

Key difference is between overhead and over head.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

tolbs17

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 19, 2021, 10:57:28 PM
Look at the comparison on the years on this sign. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0886602,-79.9144828,3a,48.2y,2.36h,94.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sh-gXJdfh8v--NuZ-PPneew!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Which is better?

The older one doesn't have the cardinal direction at two different heights, so it's better-designed. I feel like the Type C arrows convey what's going on better than the down arrows, as well.

However, I question the need for a sign there at all. Most diamond interchanges don't have signage indicating which direction is west and which is east. I see no reason why a SPUI needs one too. (Oklahoma uses diagrammatics for SPUIs, which likewise seems like overkill.)

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 02:13:03 AM
Look at the comparison on the years on this sign. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0886602,-79.9144828,3a,48.2y,2.36h,94.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sh-gXJdfh8v--NuZ-PPneew!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Which is better?

The older one doesn't have the cardinal direction at two different heights, so it's better-designed. I feel like the Type C arrows convey what's going on better than the down arrows, as well.

However, I question the need for a sign there at all. Most diamond interchanges don't have signage indicating which direction is west and which is east. I see no reason why a SPUI needs one too. (Oklahoma uses diagrammatics for SPUIs, which likewise seems like overkill.)
And DDIs.

tolbs17

Eastbound US-264 heading into Greenville at the Highway 11 bypass the "Greenville DOWNTOWN" sign is placed odd. they should have made it look more like this without the lighting.

tolbs17

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 02:13:03 AM

Which is better?

Most diamond interchanges don't have a split at the end of the exit ramp.  Where there is a split (SPUI or DDI) I usually see directional signs.

I've never thought about it before, but you raise a valid question of why is there a standard of posting directional signage on a SPUI or DDI ramp but not on a traditional diamond ramp.

webny99

This is the strangest, most bizarre, most irrelevant overhead sign I've ever seen in the state of New York. In addition to several questionable aspects of the design and layout and the fact that it skips over an intermediary exit, it is completely unnecessary. It doesn't provide any new information of value, and there is not one single reason why it should exist.

[/rant]

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on May 03, 2021, 05:08:48 PM
This is the strangest, most bizarre, most irrelevant overhead sign I've ever seen in the state of New York. In addition to several questionable aspects of the design and layout and the fact that it skips over an intermediary exit, it is completely unnecessary. It doesn't provide any new information of value, and there is not one single reason why it should exist.

[/rant]
I'm questioning why almost every BGS design was used for the I-81/88 interchange. You have the APL linked, then a Junction sign with no arrows, which imo should've been in the APL's location, then a diagrammatic, then finally, the 2 panel display with angled arrows for the exit. Can they pick one type and stick with it?

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 03, 2021, 05:15:05 PM

[/rant]
I'm questioning why almost every BGS design was used for the I-81/88 interchange. You have the APL linked, then a Junction sign with no arrows, which imo should've been in the APL's location, then a diagrammatic, then finally, the 2 panel display with angled arrows for the exit. Can they pick one type and stick with it?

Yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired. The APL I originally linked to went up as part of the I-81/I-86/NY 17 (Prospect Mountain interchange) overhaul, while the other 3 in your post are all much older and should be replaced, IMO. NY uses APL's now, so if these were replaced, the diagrammatic would presumably become an APL. And yes, it is ridiculous that the "JCT I-88" comes after the APL... even though I have some serious issues with the APL, that 3/4 mile advance should probably be eliminated altogether.

I'll follow up in a separate post with some of my own suggestions for improved signage here.

Big John

[/rant]
The lane that is ending should not have an up arrow.

Rothman

[/rant]
I also hate that sign with a passion.  It's been up for a while and I contend it causes lane confusion for those who want to take I-88.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

a Junction sign with no arrows, which imo should've been in the APL's location

The 8s are upside down on that sign.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2021, 07:51:51 PM

[/rant]
I also hate that sign with a passion.  It's been up for a while and I contend it causes lane confusion for those who want to take I-88.

Yeah, I remember discussing it in the not-too-distant past, can't remember in what thread.

Here's how I'd do it:

...followed by two more APL's north of the US 11 interchange.

plain

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 08:03:32 PM

Great catch!!!

Also, in this case, I don't think an APL should be used at all until the gore point.
Newark born, Richmond bred

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 08:03:32 PM

Indeed a good catch. Someone was definitely having some fun there.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.