News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I -40 Hernando Desoto Bridge at Memphis shutdown

Started by Wayward Memphian, May 11, 2021, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayward Memphian

sprjus4

And it figures that it's the bridge with less capacity (only 4 lanes as opposed to 6) that's having to bear the traffic load.

This will be a nightmare for as long as I-40 is closed.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ethanhopkin14

I read "Crack shuts down I-40 bridge until further notice" and thought, wow, that's a hell of a party!

US71

Last report it will be tomorrow morning at the earliest that the bridge will reopen.

JMoses24

Reminds me of I-64 at Louisville, which was shut down for months.

US71

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 11, 2021, 06:10:57 PM

I-40 was closed at Webbers Falls, Oklahoma  in 2002  for 2 months due to an accident

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on May 11, 2021, 07:48:54 PM

I-40 was closed at Webbers Falls, Oklahoma  in 2002  for 2 months due to an accident

Accident as in the damn thing collapsed.

This a bit different as the truck traffic is way more considerable.

Former State Sentator Ingram is saying it is a crack in the support structure and it will take a considerable amount of time to fix and this falls on Tenn to fix per existing agreement.

Georgia

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on May 11, 2021, 08:45:05 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 11, 2021, 07:48:54 PM

Accident as in the damn thing collapsed.

This a bit different as the truck traffic is way more considerable.

Former State Sentator Ingram is saying it is a crack in the support structure and it will take a considerable amount of time to fix and this falls on Tenn to fix per existing agreement.

Arkansas inspects and Tennessee repairs? is that correct? saw it on a Memphis area news site.
If it is a substansial amount of money and time, I cant believe they wouldnt cost share.

Road Hog

Great opportunity to give a dry run to post-New Madrid detour options?

Rhetorical question. There are none.

US 89

Holy shit, I just drove over this on Saturday. Looks like I did that just in time.

Bobby5280

This might be a strong clue they need to make I-269 a complete loop around the Memphis metro, starting with a new bridge near Tunica going West across the Mississippi River and up to I-40.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 12, 2021, 12:06:37 AM
This might be a strong clue they need to make I-269 a complete loop around the Memphis metro, starting with a new bridge near Tunica going West across the Mississippi River and up to I-40.
For Thru I-40 traffic, I would think the Northern Crossing for a potential I-269 across the Mississippi would make more sense to get done first

That, and I want to put Tennessee on the hook for Mississippi River Crossing Capacity improvements, not Mississippi, for greater Memphis

The Northern Crossing would be better as a redundancy for both Thru I-40 and Thru I-55

The I-269 Southern Crossing to Tunica makes sense for gamblers

Heck, a bridge over the Mississippi where I-40 meets (future) I-69, north of town, due west from there, and tie it into the current I-40/55 west split in Arkansas, would also work.

I am delving into the world of Fictional, tho, so I will stop

sprjus4

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 12, 2021, 12:25:06 AM
For Thru I-40 traffic, I would think the Northern Crossing for a potential I-269 across the Mississippi would make more sense to get done first

That, and I want to put Tennessee on the hook for Mississippi River Crossing Capacity improvements, not Mississippi, for greater Memphis

The Northern Crossing would be better as a redundancy for both Thru I-40 and Thru I-55

Heck, a bridge over the Mississippi where I-40 meets (future) I-69, north of town, due west from there, and tie it into the current I-40/55 west split in Arkansas, would also work.

A southern I-269 crossing would provide a through traffic bypass of Memphis entirely for only I-55 traffic. A northern I-269 crossing would provide a through traffic bypass of Memphis entirely for I-40 traffic, though still provide a third alternative for I-55 traffic but still requiring passage through Memphis. If a northern I-269 crossing is constructed, the segment of I-69 between I-40 and I-269 would need to also be constructed to provide some sort of system continuity otherwise you would have to leave the interstate system if you're following I-55 North attempting to reach it.

I would agree a northern crossing would be the more viable alternative, however in a perfect world both would be built.

Wayward Memphian

It's what I have been saying for years here and the Lehi to Tunica option needs to be first. The crap that is going on inside Memphis on the freeways is yet another reason. Those being look out cars followed by racing. Intentional slowdowns for burnout sessions and the random shootings.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2021, 01:04:42 AM

A southern I-269 crossing would provide a through traffic bypass of Memphis entirely for only I-55 traffic. A northern I-269 crossing would provide a through traffic bypass of Memphis entirely for I-40 traffic, though still provide a third alternative for I-55 traffic but still requiring passage through Memphis. If a northern I-269 crossing is constructed, the segment of I-69 between I-40 and I-269 would need to also be constructed to provide some sort of system continuity otherwise you would have to leave the interstate system if you're following I-55 North attempting to reach it.

I would agree a northern crossing would be the more viable alternative, however in a perfect world both would be built.

A northern bridge should be connected near the I-55/I-555 interchange at Turrell and where I-69/I-269 will meet.. it should be considered a major part of a possible extention of I-22 using that and the basic US 412 path across northern Arkansas.

Marc

Just in time for my trip to Memphis on Saturday. I guess I'm leaving Austin extra early.

US71

Per KNWA News

In an inspection for the 2020 National Bridge Inventory report, the Federal Highway Administration said the I-40 bridge checked out in fair condition overall, with all primary structure elements sound and only some minor cracks and chips in the overall structure. Its structural evaluation checked out "somewhat better than minimum adequacy to tolerate being left in place as is."

However, height and width clearances for oversize vehicles were "basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action,"  the inspectors found. Tennessee recommended "bridge deck replacement with only incidental widening."

Sounds like TDOT knows more than ARDOT

armadillo speedbump

It should be a stronger clue to use more of our limited funds on proper maintenance and initial quality control, rather than massively expensive new routes of questionable need.   

bwana39

For I-22 traffic, the Southern crossing makes more sense.  For I-55, the southern route works best.  As I have argued before, I-69 makes no sense crossing at Arkansas City. If you are going to build a new bridge in NW Mississippi anyway, it makes bridging the Arkansas and White rivers less cost prohibitive.  Louisville that is similar sized to Memphis, has 4 crossings of the Ohio.  Saint Louis has 6 crossings of the Mississippi. I will agree that on the lower Mississippi, there are not more than two currently across the Mississippi. Baton Rouge has two and is clamoring for another. New Orleans completed the expansion of the Huey P Long bridge in the past decade more or less.  I-10 is the only 2DI that crosses the Mississippi below the southern border with Mississippi in LA. I-55 and I-40 cross it at Memphis, and I-22 ends nearby.

Memphis needs an additional bridge. So does Baton Rouge. I think without a doubt, that it is probably next after the I-49 expansion on LA's major priority list.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: Marc on May 12, 2021, 10:59:04 AM
Just in time for my trip to Memphis on Saturday. I guess I'm leaving Austin extra early.

I might avoid crossing at Memphis altogether.  That said, unless you want to enjoy the scenery, there is not a time efficient way to go.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Good thing I can still get across! I am taking a job in TN at the moment.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US 89 on May 11, 2021, 11:17:48 PM
Holy shit, I just drove over this on Saturday. Looks like I did that just in time.
Same.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jmacswimmer

^

That looks very similar to what happened on the Delaware River Turnpike Toll Bridge in early 2017...I think that closure lasted a month & a half IIRC.

For reference:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.