News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on March 19, 2014, 12:13:29 AM

Does US 371 officially go to I-49, or is it just signed as such?

It's signed NB beginning at I-49, but SB appears to end at LA 1, judging by the signs I have seen.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

yakra

AASHTO sez "Projected from U.S. 84 to I-49. Route ends" (whatever that means) at 82.7 mi from the Arkansas State Line.

Strangely, their mileage numbers seem a little low. Have a look at what Mr. Google has to say, and drag around the point B marker. See what I mean?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bassoon1986

Quote from: yakra on March 21, 2014, 10:00:18 AM
AASHTO sez "Projected from U.S. 84 to I-49. Route ends" (whatever that means) at 82.7 mi from the Arkansas State Line.

Strangely, their mileage numbers seem a little low. Have a look at what Mr. Google has to say, and drag around the point B marker. See what I mean?

That is strange. 82.7 puts it just further along LA 177, not at the US 84/LA 1 junction. And there isn't anywhere that the route has been changed on an alignment. It never followed into Minden since it's been US 371. If it were a straighter shot and not backtracking, I would follow US 371 from I-49 across the Red River the few times I've needed to go that way. Too much zig zag if you're coming from the south.

NE2

US 371 was never built between I-49 and LA 1.

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 21, 2014, 11:23:35 AM
If it were a straighter shot and not backtracking, I would follow US 371 from I-49 across the Red River the few times I've needed to go that way. Too much zig zag if you're coming from the south.
What do you use, LA 174?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bassoon1986

Yep. My dad lives in south Bossier and coming up I-49, I thought if I crossed the US 84/US 371 bridge over the Red River by taking LA 174 to LA 1 I could shave some time rather than going around Bert Kouns and over the Jimmie Davis Bridge to Bossier City. That's the busiest part of Shreveport and it feels like forever once you exit I-49 until you get to Bossier City.

bugo

So US 70 from De Queen to the Oklahoma line is also US 371....interesting.

US71

Quote from: bugo on March 26, 2014, 10:18:15 PM

Proposed, but never made official. Then again, there are NO 371 signs at all on 71/59 until you get to Lockesburg

NE2

Quote from: bugo on March 26, 2014, 10:18:15 PM
No - note the left column.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

KEEL NewsRadio 710 is conducting a poll asking whether I-49 should go through the inner city of Shreveport, in addition to featuring the topic with various dignitaries this week.

JON30

There is a story on ShreveportTimes.com talking about the new housing development in Allendale in the path of I-49. http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20140402/NEWS01/304020034/Proposed-housing-complex-same-site-potential-49-route

"I-49 Inner-City Connector

Providence Engineering, a Baton Rouge consultant firm, is completing its study of a no-build alternative to the inner-city segment. The segment would utilize the existing inner loop (I-220 and Highway 3132) to connect the two sections of I-49.
A preferred route was expected to be finalized last year. However, a local citizens group, Loop It, raised concerns about the community input process. And its formal complaint led to the loop option being studied to meet the same design standards as the other alternatives.
Kent Rogers, executive director of the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments, which oversees area transportation projects, said the study is expected to be finished in late spring or early summer with the public meetings to occur this summer.
A draft environmental impact would be completed in the fall with a final route selected by the end of the year, he said.
The firm released preliminary findings on the loop option this month. Its analysis showed, among other things, the economic impact of an inner city connector would be greater than than of using the loop. The firm found the economic impact of constructing the inner city connector would be $802 million annually compared to $445 million annually for the loop option.
State Rep. Roy Burrell said that economic boom alone could help revitalize deteriorating communities throughout Shreveport and central Bossier City.
Timeline:
The Housing Authority of the City of Shreveport's Executive Director Richard Herrington Jr said the Renaissance of Allendale has an aggressive construction schedule.
» Groundbreaking on phase one will take place April 8.
» The housing application process could begin as early as October or November of 2014.
» The project is expected to be completed and the 40 units of phase one should be leased by April 2015.
» The housing authority and the Michaels Development Company are obligated to finish construction of phase one by December 2015."

This link discusses some of the improvements needed for 3132 and Cross Lake bridge should they choose that route.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/assets/pdf/D922050441.PDF

Some examples include:
1. additional lane in each direction for the Cross Lake bridge
2. higher railings for the bridge
3. realignment of the interstate near I-20 and I-220 where there is a sharp turn

They are still working on cost estimates of these improvements.

US71

Quote from: JON30 on April 02, 2014, 04:55:22 PM
There is a story on ShreveportTimes.com talking about the new housing development in Allendale in the path of I-49. http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20140402/NEWS01/304020034/Proposed-housing-complex-same-site-potential-49-route

"I-49 Inner-City Connector

Providence Engineering, a Baton Rouge consultant firm, is completing its study of a no-build alternative to the inner-city segment. The segment would utilize the existing inner loop (I-220 and Highway 3132) to connect the two sections of I-49.
A preferred route was expected to be finalized last year. However, a local citizens group, Loop It, raised concerns about the community input process. And its formal complaint led to the loop option being studied to meet the same design standards as the other alternatives.
Kent Rogers, executive director of the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments, which oversees area transportation projects, said the study is expected to be finished in late spring or early summer with the public meetings to occur this summer.
A draft environmental impact would be completed in the fall with a final route selected by the end of the year, he said.
The firm released preliminary findings on the loop option this month. Its analysis showed, among other things, the economic impact of an inner city connector would be greater than than of using the loop. The firm found the economic impact of constructing the inner city connector would be $802 million annually compared to $445 million annually for the loop option.
State Rep. Roy Burrell said that economic boom alone could help revitalize deteriorating communities throughout Shreveport and central Bossier City.
Timeline:
The Housing Authority of the City of Shreveport's Executive Director Richard Herrington Jr said the Renaissance of Allendale has an aggressive construction schedule.
» Groundbreaking on phase one will take place April 8.
» The housing application process could begin as early as October or November of 2014.
» The project is expected to be completed and the 40 units of phase one should be leased by April 2015.
» The housing authority and the Michaels Development Company are obligated to finish construction of phase one by December 2015."

This link discusses some of the improvements needed for 3132 and Cross Lake bridge should they choose that route.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/assets/pdf/D922050441.PDF

Some examples include:
1. additional lane in each direction for the Cross Lake bridge
2. higher railings for the bridge
3. realignment of the interstate near I-20 and I-220 where there is a sharp turn

They are still working on cost estimates of these improvements.

Why build a housing project in the middle of a highway corridor?

yakra

Build up the value for when you sell it to the state, fnord?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bassoon1986

It's beyond stupid to build something near or in the proposed path of a major highway. I feel like the stuff and the red tape that keeps coming up in the way of the ICC is just out of spite. Why did we build I-49 into Shreveport to connect to I-20 in the first place if we weren't going to finish it northward to connect at I-220?

jbnv

Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 03, 2014, 10:09:40 AM
It's beyond stupid to build something near or in the proposed path of a major highway. I feel like the stuff and the red tape that keeps coming up in the way of the ICC is just out of spite. Why did we build I-49 into Shreveport to connect to I-20 in the first place if we weren't going to finish it northward to connect at I-220?

Welcome to Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

lamsalfl

Quote from: jbnv on April 03, 2014, 12:01:38 PM

Welcome to Louisiana.

This is Louisiana-specific?  NO other state does stupid things like this?  Seriously?

Henry

Quote from: lamsalfl on April 03, 2014, 02:39:27 PM

Welcome to Louisiana.

This is Louisiana-specific?  NO other state does stupid things like this?  Seriously?
It has been done before. Remember, during the freeway-building craze of the 1950s and 60s, the big cities demolished hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses for various projects, most of which never came to fruition.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jbnv

Quote from: lamsalfl on April 03, 2014, 02:39:27 PM

Welcome to Louisiana.

I didn't say this is Louisiana-specific, but it certainly is an issue here.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Bobby5280

I've been highly suspicious of this apartment building project from the first time I heard about it. Whether the developers are saying it or not, they have some kind of ulterior motive for pursuing this.

The developers could have some kind of anti freeway political axe to grind. There's no shortage of such people; those political types would see dead ending a freeway as a kind of victory.

More likely: it's about money. Any number of angles could get played, be it lawsuits and lucrative out of court settlements to clear the way for I-49 or the developers build the property and even more money gets spent clearing the way for I-49.

If logic was allowed to prevail there's no way that housing project would have been allowed to go anywhere even in the planning stages.

Gordon

I thought the City of Shreveport or the State would have Building permits that they could put on hold until the inner-city connector study is finished.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 25, 2014, 12:22:00 PM
An email from LaDOTD indicates that Segments B-D of I-49 North will open to local traffic on March 1:
Q: I seem to remember that, back in November, the thought was that Segments B-D of I-49 North would be opened to local traffic in March.  Is that still the plan?  If so, has a ribbon-cutting been scheduled for the opening?
A: They are slated to open March 1 but there will be no ceremony associated with the opening.
Quote from: US71 on April 10, 2014, 11:46:17 PM
I took out a part about US 71 to LA 168 being open to local traffic (it's not)
(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)

I recently emailed LaDOTD and asked for an update about Segments B-D. The response:

Unfortunately, we have a contractor still signing that area.  We were going to open the segments up in March, but now it looks like May.

Henry

Wow, a two-month delay! It must've been all that bad winter weather that was going on down there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

lamsalfl

Is it me or did Google feeewaytize more of US 90?  Maybe someone with more knowledge of this area can confirm. 

Urban Prairie Schooner

DOTD has completed another stretch of frontage roads on US 90/future I-49 south, between John Darnall Road and LA 85. The freeway continues to be slowly extended....

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=4708

Gordon

Hopefully I 49 getting in the news will help getting more funds to complete it. Arkansas, Missouri and Louisiana needs congress and the federal Highway administration to see the need for this Interstate.
http://www.ktbs.com/story/25279026/us-transportation-secretary-visits-i-49-north-in-caddo-parish

Duke87

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't I-49 originally intended to permanently end at I-20? If there were no plans interstate heading north out of town, there would be no reason to provision for one.

QuoteThe firm released preliminary findings on the loop option this month. Its analysis showed, among other things, the economic impact of an inner city connector would be greater than than of using the loop. The firm found the economic impact of constructing the inner city connector would be $802 million annually compared to $445 million annually for the loop option.

...did he really just argue that plowing a freeway through a city would "revitalize deteriorating communities"? :wow: This is 2014, not 1954, right?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.