News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: RBBrittain on October 05, 2014, 03:49:09 AM
AHTD, is there any more word on the opening of I-49 to Louisiana?  IDriveArkansas only has "Late 2014", and the main site is down right now.  Does "November" mean just before the election (so President Obama, Secretary Foxx, etc. can stump for both Mark Pryor & Mary Landrieu), or just after it (so both Pryor & Tom Cotton can take credit while keeping a straight face, while the President, Secretary, etc. stumps for Landrieu in her likely runoff)?

I have my doubts the President will be there...it's possible, but I have my doubts. Mike Beebe and "Bobby" Jindal, maybe. AHTD and LADOTD directors and commission members, very likely (especially Dick Trammel who thinks he's in charge of everything).

The last word on the opening I heard was end of October/beginning of November.  A lot of people have been asking on Facebook as well, but things have been rather quiet.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dariusb

This will make travel between Shreveport and Texarkana so much easier.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

JON30

I emailed a district engineer with the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department last week.  He informed me that the section from Doddridge to the Louisiana state line is currently scheduled to be complete by November 10th.

dariusb

It's a new day for a new beginning.

US71

Quote from: JON30 on October 06, 2014, 11:03:22 AM
I emailed a district engineer with the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department last week.  He informed me that the section from Doddridge to the Louisiana state line is currently scheduled to be complete by November 10th.
If it's anywhere close to that time, I'm hoping to be there. Hopefully all the "No-Tels" in Texarkana won't be sold out ;)

Grzrd

Quote from: JON30 on October 06, 2014, 11:03:22 AM

On the LaDOTD side, I just received an email indicating that the opening will be on November 10:

We plan to open the northernmost portions of I-49 on November 10th.

AHTD, has a time been set for the ribbon cutting?

Grzrd

The October 15, 2014 Texarkana Gazette (behind paywall) reports that the ribbon-cutting will occur at noon, November 10, at the state line.

After at least four decades of planning and more than $3.2 billion in taxpayer funds spent, Interstate 49 will soon connect Arkansas and Louisiana.
The Shreveport, La.-based Coordinating and Development Corp. will hold an official ceremony celebrating the opening of the final I-49 leg connecting Arkansas and Louisiana at noon Nov. 10 at the state line, near Ida. There, the interstate's final leg will be officially recognized as connecting the two states.
More than $3.2 billion total in federal funds went to connecting I-49 from Lafayette, La., to Texarkana, Ark.–a transportation project that represents the largest public works transportation route ever constructed in the Ark-La-Tex.
After Nov. 10, I-49 will fully connect New Orleans to Missouri, following a federal effort that started as early as 1968.

My understanding is that the article erroneously reports that Coordinating and Development Corp. will hold the ceremony.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Grzrd on October 16, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
The October 15, 2014 Texarkana Gazette (behind paywall) reports that the ribbon-cutting will occur at noon, November 10, at the state line.

After at least four decades of planning and more than $3.2 billion in taxpayer funds spent, Interstate 49 will soon connect Arkansas and Louisiana.
The Shreveport, La.-based Coordinating and Development Corp. will hold an official ceremony celebrating the opening of the final I-49 leg connecting Arkansas and Louisiana at noon Nov. 10 at the state line, near Ida. There, the interstate's final leg will be officially recognized as connecting the two states.
More than $3.2 billion total in federal funds went to connecting I-49 from Lafayette, La., to Texarkana, Ark.–a transportation project that represents the largest public works transportation route ever constructed in the Ark-La-Tex.
After Nov. 10, I-49 will fully connect New Orleans to Missouri, following a federal effort that started as early as 1968.

My understanding is that the article erroneously reports that Coordinating and Development Corp. will hold the ceremony.

Also erroneous that "I-49 will fully connect New Orleans to Missouri." The two are connected, but not by a continuous I-49...

Road Hog

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 16, 2014, 12:11:58 PM

Also erroneous that "I-49 will fully connect New Orleans to Missouri." The two are connected, but not by a continuous I-49...

They already were connected via I-55.

Anthony_JK

WOW. So much fail with that article.

You mean, Arkansas should take any credit for I-49 built between Lafayette and Shreveport?? Really???

And, let's fund and build I-49 South, the Shreveport ICC, the segment between Texarkana and Fort Chaffee, the BVB, and maybe even fix that Bruce Watkins Drive thing, before declaring victory, OK??

Opening the Shreveport-Texarkana segment will be a tremendous achievement, but let's not get too heady yet. Still a ways to go.

NE2

I-49 South has nothing to do with connecting New Orleans to Missouri.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on October 16, 2014, 07:36:54 PM

Really?? If you are talking about completing I-49 from New Orleans to Kansas City, it has a lot to do with it.

And yes, I'm well aware of I-55 already connecting NOLA with KCM. The article was about I-49, though.

NE2

Quote from: Anthony_JK on October 16, 2014, 07:59:44 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 16, 2014, 07:36:54 PM

Really?? If you are talking about completing I-49 from New Orleans to Kansas City, it has a lot to do with it.

And yes, I'm well aware of I-55 already connecting NOLA with KCM. The article was about I-49, though.

I-10 is about 20 miles shorter than I-49 (and you save another 15 miles by cutting over on US 190). I-49 South may benefit the intermediate points, but for New Orleans to Shreveport and north it's shit.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Understood, and still not my point. The article was still about I-49, and the author's misstatement about completing I-49 as a connection between NOLA and Missouri.

And for the record, I do believe that I-55 is actually shorter.

NE2

Quote from: Anthony_JK on October 16, 2014, 09:07:28 PM
Understood, and still not my point. The article was still about I-49, and the author's misstatement about completing I-49 as a connection between NOLA and Missouri.
Then why did you mention I-49 South? Only the huge part in Arkansas and the Bella Vista bypass are necessary to connect NO to KC.

Quote from: Anthony_JK on October 16, 2014, 09:07:28 PM
And for the record, I do believe that I-55 is actually shorter.

Holy crap, it's essentially the same distance going I-55 to I-70 as going I-49 all the way. More proof that I-49 has nothing to do with NO-KC through traffic.

(PS: going via Little Rock and Springfield saves about 100 miles over both, though a fair amount is two-lane.)

jbnv

Not to mention that only for people in south Louisiana is I-49 South needed to "complete" I-49.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

O Tamandua

This is still great news, regardless of some of the errant details.

txstateends

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 20, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
After Nov. 10, I-49 will fully connect New Orleans to Missouri

This is still great news, regardless of some of the errant details.

Well, it is *sorta* correct, I-49 will fully connect after Nov. 10, it just doesn't say exactly when....
(attempting to hide from the tomatoes and eggs under a desk I no longer have :D )
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Grzrd

Ceremony Time Change Alert!  For those thinking of attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony, this AHTD Information Release states that the ceremony is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and not noon:

WHAT: Dedication event to celebrate completion of the final section of Interstate 49 between Texarkana, AR and Shreveport, LA ....
WHEN: Monday, November 10 at 1:00 p.m.
WHERE:
The event will take place at the Arkansas-Louisiana state line on the new location of I-49. To access the event area travel I-49 north from Shreveport or I-49 south from Texarkana to the new section. A ribbon cutting will take place across the new lanes.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 05, 2014, 01:49:05 PM

Ceremony Time Change Alert!  For those thinking of attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony, this AHTD Information Release states that the ceremony is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and not noon:

WHEN: Monday, November 10 at 1:00 p.m.
WHERE:
The event will take place at the Arkansas-Louisiana state line on the new location of I-49. To access the event area travel I-49 north from Shreveport or I-49 south from Texarkana to the new section. A ribbon cutting will take place across the new lanes.
As of now, I will be there.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 27, 2014, 03:03:51 PM
I don't think Arkansas will post a 75 MPH speed limit, but a 28.9 mile project to install a cable median barrier from the LA state line to Texarkana is scheduled for the November 5 letting

AHTD posted the contract award for this project today:

Some new work to begin after the Nov. 10 opening.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2014, 09:09:26 PM
AHTD, I know it's too late for NWA, but is there still a possibility to get the state name on the SWA shields?
Quote from: AHTD on August 11, 2014, 10:19:32 AM
Not in the cards.....

The following graphic from this article about the upcoming ribbon cutting provides yet another tease about what might have been:

Maybe on the Bella Vista Bypass when the time comes ..................

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 10, 2014, 04:30:49 PM
LaDOTD has issued a press release about the ribbon cutting that describes Gov. Jindal as the "highlight" of the grand occasion
(above quote from I49 in LA thread)

For the sake of comparison, here is AHTD's press release about the ribbon cutting. Regarding the installation of I-49 shields, it states that approximately 200 AR 549 signs in the Texarkana/ Miller County area will be replaced with I-49 shields beginning this week:

Arkansas and Louisiana officials gathered at the state line today to dedicate completion of the final segment of a new Interstate connecting Texarkana, AR to Shreveport, LA. The Federal Highway Administration recently designated the entire section as Interstate 49, replacing what was Highway 549 in Arkansas. Approximately 200 existing Highway 549 signs will be replaced with I-49 signs beginning  this week.
"We dedicate a lot of our Arkansas highway projects,"  said Arkansas State Highway and Transportation (AHTD) Director Scott Bennett. "But it's not every day that we open one of this magnitude."

Last call for AR 549 photos in the Texarkana area!

bugo

I want one of the AR 549 signs. I doubt that AHTD would sell me one, though.

US71

Quote from: bugo on November 10, 2014, 07:23:03 PM
I want one of the AR 549 signs. I doubt that AHTD would sell me one, though.
Have Agentsteel make you one ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.