News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

Please reference www.idrivearkansas.com for the most up-to-date construction information. The map you reference is updated by planning on a less frequent schedule than IDRIVE.

Be sure to click on the orange lines that represent construction projects. We have added an "additional information" link that will take you to a more detailed project page.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 07, 2012, 05:03:08 PM
I-69 Advisory Committee Report and Recommendations ... (page 16/30 of pdf; page 10 of report)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2014, 10:56:38 AM
The Texarkana MPO has posted its Draft Texarkana Urban Transportation Study ("TUTS") 2015-2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan ("MTP") ....
After a quick scan of the document, I could not find a direct reference to either the West Loop or the Northern Loop.

I recently stumbled across a February 2014 Power Point presentation that includes a slide envisioning "I-69 TXK Western Loop" going to the TexAmericas Center and north of I-30 (continuing as the Northern Loop?):

It looks like the more recent slide envisions a routing slightly to the east of the routing in the previous slide.  It's also interesting that the more recent slide suggests a Northern Loop connection to I-49, which makes sense considering the Intermodal Center part of the slide includes I-30, I-49 and I-69 shields.

Grzrd

This article reports on the impact that Missouri's rejection of the transportation sales tax will have on the Arkansas section of the Bella Vista Bypass, but I am posting in this thread because of the following graphic accompanying the article:

AHTD, I know it's too late for NWA, but is there still a possibility to get the state name on the SWA shields?

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2014, 09:09:26 PM

That's better than most other media I-49 graphics AND MoDOT's site graphics ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

bugo

Why do the brand new I-530 shields at the end of AR 530 in Pine Bluff have the state name but the I-49 shields don't?

AHTD

bugo

Nice way to avoid the question. 

"Contemporary".  Is that better?  Why are the I-49 signs that were produced in the same era far uglier than the I-530 signs?  Why has Arkansas gone from producing attractive shields to some of the ugliest in the nation?  Why are the numbers almost bigger than the shield?

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on August 11, 2014, 10:46:21 AM
Why do the brand new I-530 shields at the end of AR 530 in Pine Bluff have the state name but the I-49 shields don't?
Quote from: AHTD on August 11, 2014, 10:50:36 AM
Define brand new.

FWIW that section of AR 530 was opened to traffic on September 12, 2013:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3524.msg245569#msg245569

edit

Here is StreetView imagery of two of the shields:

agentsteel53

I bet the 530s were extant stock that were installed.

still doesn't explain why Arkansas abandoned the classic '57 spec shield in favor of the garish '70 spec with overlarge numbers.  I think this means California is the only state left that still uses '57 spec fairly consistently.  well, shit.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

still doesn't explain why Arkansas abandoned the classic '57 spec shield in favor of the garish '70 spec with overlarge numbers.  I think this means California is the only state left that still uses '57 spec fairly consistently.  well, shit.
Wyoming?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

US71

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 11, 2014, 05:20:57 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

Wyoming?
Most of the time.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on August 11, 2014, 06:15:25 PM

Wyoming?
Most of the time.

good point.  often enough to count; that's for sure.

Mississippi puts one up on occasion these days.

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

I think Iowa has a good amount, too
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 11, 2014, 07:42:53 PM
I think Iowa has a good amount, too

yep.  I feel like someone told me that Iowa has gone to neutered '70 spec, but I may be conflating that with Arkansas.  I know Iowa's US route shields are more recently '70 spec instead of '61, as of the last 5 years or so.

New Mexico uses '57 spec a lot as well, but that's because New Mexico, and not indicative of any set policy.

jake@aaroads.com

dariusb

Quote from: Grzrd on August 06, 2014, 04:21:02 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 07, 2012, 05:03:08 PM
I-69 Advisory Committee Report and Recommendations ... (page 16/30 of pdf; page 10 of report)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2014, 10:56:38 AM
The Texarkana MPO has posted its Draft Texarkana Urban Transportation Study ("TUTS") 2015-2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan ("MTP") ....
After a quick scan of the document, I could not find a direct reference to either the West Loop or the Northern Loop.

I recently stumbled across a February 2014 Power Point presentation that includes a slide envisioning "I-69 TXK Western Loop" going to the TexAmericas Center and north of I-30 (continuing as the Northern Loop?):

It looks like the more recent slide envisions a routing slightly to the east of the routing in the previous slide.  It's also interesting that the more recent slide suggests a Northern Loop connection to I-49, which makes sense considering the Intermodal Center part of the slide includes I-30, I-49 and I-69 shields.
When all of these roads/intermodal facility are built there's no telling what future Texarkana/Hooks area will look like.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Grzrd

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 15, 2014, 09:20:40 PM
I knew that I-49's wide median would allow for a 75 MPH speed limit to be posted, but I never thought that it could go without the cable barrier.
Are there any plans to talk with Arkansas about making I-49 from the state line to Texarkana as a 75 MPH speed limit?
(above quote from I49 in LA thread)

I don't think Arkansas will post a 75 MPH speed limit, but a 28.9 mile project to install a cable median barrier from the LA state line to Texarkana is scheduled for the November 5 letting:

County Miller
Route I-49
Job No. 030435
Job Name La. St. Line-Texarkana (Cable Median Barrier)
Type Work (S) Safety
Length 28.9
Cost Range $5 - $10 Million

AHTD

Arkansas does not have any 75 mph sections.

This section between the Louisiana state line and Texarkana will be classified as a rural Interstate and as such the speed limit will be 70 mph and for trucks it will be 65 mph.

Look for the last section of this route to be complete toward the early days in November!

agentsteel53

Quote from: AHTD on August 27, 2014, 03:17:00 PM

given speed limit increases in Louisiana and Texas recently, I would imagine Arkansas state legislature is looking at the possibility.  any bills in the works?

jake@aaroads.com

AHTD

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2014, 03:24:54 PM

given speed limit increases in Louisiana and Texas recently, I would imagine Arkansas state legislature is looking at the possibility.  any bills in the works?

Nope.

That authority rests solely with the Arkansas Highway Commission. Nothing in the works.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AHTD on August 27, 2014, 03:34:46 PM
Nope.

That authority rests solely with the Arkansas Highway Commission. Nothing in the works.

well I've got an idea for your bosses...

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

This section between the Louisiana state line and Texarkana will be classified as a rural Interstate and as such the speed limit will be 70 mph and for trucks it will be 65 mph.

Look for the last section of this route to be complete toward the early days in November!
Well, to be honest, it seems like Arkansas will create a speed trap. Slowing down from 75 to 70, with cable barriers in place, seems like a ridiculous thing to do. I'd love to see Texas make I-49 75 or 80 for the small stretch where it crosses state lines.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 27, 2014, 07:36:21 PM
Well, to be honest, it seems like Arkansas will create a speed trap. Slowing down from 75 to 70, with cable barriers in place, seems like a ridiculous thing to do. I'd love to see Texas make I-49 75 or 80 for the small stretch where it crosses state lines.
I'm sure there will be Reduced Speed Ahead signs (if any drivers are paying attention)

codyg1985

Before Alabama raised its portion of US 78/Future I-22 to 70 mph from 65 mph, MDOT posted REDUCED SPEED AHEAD signs going eastbound before crossing into Alabama. The speed limit on Mississippi's portion of US 78 has been 70 mph for a while now.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

RBBrittain

AHTD, is there any more word on the opening of I-49 to Louisiana?  IDriveArkansas only has "Late 2014", and the main site is down right now.  Does "November" mean just before the election (so President Obama, Secretary Foxx, etc. can stump for both Mark Pryor & Mary Landrieu), or just after it (so both Pryor & Tom Cotton can take credit while keeping a straight face, while the President, Secretary, etc. stumps for Landrieu in her likely runoff)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.