News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 03, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on October 03, 2021, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 04:03:24 PM

iPhone
When can we expect Google Maps to street view this new bypass?

Seems to me this stretch of interstate would do well to have the I-49 shield painted on the right lanes and the U S 71 badge painted on the left.  From the skid marks it looks like someone came close to having a problem already and we're just one weekend into this.  Then again, there's only one center lane so my idea mightn't work at all.  :wow:

Those aren't skidmarks.  That's where they ground off the old shoulder lines.  They would do well to have the shields painted on the lanes, though, like they do on I-49 southbound in Fayetteville after you crest the hill past Clear Creek where AR-112 and the Fulbright Expressway exit off.  Still wondering when they're going to replace the old I-540 era milemarkers/exit numbers south of Bella Vista.  Never got a good answer from ARDOT when I emailed them.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 03, 2021, 11:57:54 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on October 03, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on October 03, 2021, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 04:03:24 PM

iPhone
When can we expect Google Maps to street view this new bypass?

Seems to me this stretch of interstate would do well to have the I-49 shield painted on the right lanes and the U S 71 badge painted on the left.  From the skid marks it looks like someone came close to having a problem already and we're just one weekend into this.  Then again, there's only one center lane so my idea mightn't work at all.  :wow:

Those aren't skidmarks.  That's where they ground off the old shoulder lines.  They would do well to have the shields painted on the lanes, though, like they do on I-49 southbound in Fayetteville after you crest the hill past Clear Creek where AR-112 and the Fulbright Expressway exit off.  Still wondering when they're going to replace the old I-540 era milemarkers/exit numbers south of Bella Vista.  Never got a good answer from ARDOT when I emailed them.
When they replaced the exit signs you'd think they would've went ahead and changed them. There is room for 3 digit exit numbers on the signs, however. Maybe they are waiting on the new Arkansas river bridge. Which will hopefully be built in my lifetime.

GreenLanternCorps

Google maps has the new stretch of I-49 up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4853735,-94.3463068,23726m/data=!3m1!1e3

But it's labeled 549, even in Missouri...

Henry

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on October 04, 2021, 07:29:21 AM

Also, the SPUI at the southern end isn't even complete, with the movements to and from the BVB missing. And there never was a reason for MO 549 to exist, as before the bypass existed, I-49 was simply an upgraded US 71 freeway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Henry on October 04, 2021, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on October 04, 2021, 07:29:21 AM

Also, the SPUI at the southern end isn't even complete, with the movements to and from the BVB missing. And there never was a reason for MO 549 to exist, as before the bypass existed, I-49 was simply an upgraded US 71 freeway.

As of this post,  the SPUI is correct, except for the missing southbound ramp (which isn't open yet), still marked as 549.

msunat97

i need to find another construction project to watch since this is 99.99% complete.  Something more interesting than a Zoom meeting

chays

The linework is indeed showing up in Google Maps but the route is not entirely routable at the moment. Try doing a route from Goodman, MO, to Springdale, AR, and it still takes the old 71 alignment. Can't even drag the routing to make it go on the new segment spanning the state line.

vdeane

Looks like Google doesn't recognize it as a freeway either.  It seems to be drawn as an arterial.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Now that the Bella Vista Bypass is completed, how long until they renumber the old Interstate 540-mileage exits into Interstate 49-mileage exits? I think those exits should have been renumbered in 2014, when the Interstate 540-to-Interstate 49 conversion occurred.

ilpt4u

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2021, 09:26:13 PM
Looks like Google doesn't recognize it as a freeway either.  It seems to be drawn as an arterial.
Howso?

They have 2 separate carriageways and all the interchanges...Looks very "Freeway"  to me on Google Maps

sprjus4

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 04, 2021, 09:55:52 PM
Howso?

They have 2 separate carriageways and all the interchanges...Looks very "Freeway"  to me on Google Maps
Freeway is a separate layer, it looks different, is bolder, etc.

The bypass is not marked as such.

MikieTimT

Howso?

Depends on the zoom level you're looking at. It's missing altogether at the zoom level that has the mileage scale for 20 miles, and looks like a 2 lane road at most others until you zoom right into it.  I know there's a fair chunk of the new mileage that's on relatively narrow ROW with a concrete divider, but not a 2-lane's worth.  The navigation of Google Maps is still dumping everyone off on US-71.  Thankfully, most people aren't buying everything that the Goog is selling and staying on the new route.  I had a job in Bella Vista today, and it was confused as soon as I got onto the overpass.  Took a few minutes after getting to the job site to submit a correction in Google Maps about a missing road.  Had to trace pretty much all of the new mileage with my phone and label it I-49, requesting they also correct the road designation, put the route on the navigation portion, and correct the routing.  We'll see how long it takes for them to get it all together.  You'd think there must be several other areas of the U.S. that have had over a dozen miles of new Interstate Highway open recently or something with their lag time.

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on October 04, 2021, 02:19:14 PM
i need to find another construction project to watch since this is 99.99% complete.  Something more interesting than a Zoom meeting

Next up, AR-612's western leg in NWA.  They are still actively working in the Jacksonville, AR area on projects for Future I-57 as well.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 04, 2021, 10:40:17 PM

Next up, AR-612's western leg in NWA.  They are still actively working in the Jacksonville, AR area on projects for Future I-57 as well.
Only project we got is Wedington interchange and the forever ROW acquisition for the airport connector

iPhone

sprjus4

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 04, 2021, 10:36:46 PM
Howso?

Depends on the zoom level you're looking at. It's missing altogether at the zoom level that has the mileage scale for 20 miles, and looks like a 2 lane road at most others until you zoom right into it.  I know there's a fair chunk of the new mileage that's on relatively narrow ROW with a concrete divider, but not a 2-lane's worth.  The navigation of Google Maps is still dumping everyone off on US-71.  Thankfully, most people aren't buying everything that the Goog is selling and staying on the new route.  I had a job in Bella Vista today, and it was confused as soon as I got onto the overpass.  Took a few minutes after getting to the job site to submit a correction in Google Maps about a missing road.  Had to trace pretty much all of the new mileage with my phone and label it I-49, requesting they also correct the road designation, put the route on the navigation portion, and correct the routing.  We'll see how long it takes for them to get it all together.  You'd think there must be several other areas of the U.S. that have had over a dozen miles of new Interstate Highway open recently or something with their lag time.
The routing not properly working is normal with new roadways for the first week or so.

Regardless of how the road is designated, soon enough the routing should be accurate.

Tomahawkin

Does anyone know about the IH 49/Wedington interchange improvements? Tease the folks? Will it be a SPUI? Or a DDI or just minor additions that just serve as a bandaid on a bullet wound? That interchange was crazy congested when I lived there 20 years ago, ditto for US 62 and 412 at IH49, total cluster####s

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 04, 2021, 09:42:46 PM
Now that the Bella Vista Bypass is completed, how long until they renumber the old Interstate 540-mileage exits into Interstate 49-mileage exits? I think those exits should have been renumbered in 2014, when the Interstate 540-to-Interstate 49 conversion occurred.
My guess is that those changes won't take place until the entire interstate is completed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 05, 2021, 09:09:12 AM
Does anyone know about the IH 49/Wedington interchange improvements? Tease the folks? Will it be a SPUI? Or a DDI or just minor additions that just serve as a bandaid on a bullet wound? That interchange was crazy congested when I lived there 20 years ago, ditto for US 62 and 412 at IH49, total cluster####s

Not reconfiguring, other than eliminating the left turn onto northbound I-49 from the west on AR-16.  They will be putting a quarter clover right turn under the overpass instead and widening Wedington up to and including the overpass to 3 lanes each direction out to Rupple Rd.  Cross Church and the fitness business will be butting up against the northbound onramp.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 05, 2021, 12:14:42 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on October 04, 2021, 10:40:17 PM

Only project we got is Wedington interchange and the forever ROW acquisition for the airport connector

iPhone

They are also getting started on AR-112 widening now with surveying and engineering, but that project is more for a local audience.  Those from out of the area will be more interested in I-49 in the Ft. Smith to Texarkana area, US-412 from Lowell to I-35, and I-57 and I-69.  Most of those other than I-57 are a little further down the road at this point with funding constraints.

Tomahawkin

112 should have been widened 20 years ago
OT, I Was hoping that there would be more development south and east of Fayetteville. There should be more hotels and Truck stops in the Greenland area! Has that area grown any? US 71 south of Fayetteville near the airport is awful IMO but should be a prime area for development? Has there been any expansion out there?

GreenLanternCorps

FYI, Apple Maps does not have the new section of I-49 marked.  It only has the old section of AR 549.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 05, 2021, 07:35:13 AM
Howso?

The routing not properly working is normal with new roadways for the first week or so.

Regardless of how the road is designated, soon enough the routing should be accurate.

Looks like they at least have the route and designation fixed.  Don't know about the navigation part yet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4930877,-94.3474906,11z

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 07, 2021, 12:15:11 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 05, 2021, 07:35:13 AM
Howso?

Looks like they at least have the route and designation fixed.  Don't know about the navigation part yet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4930877,-94.3474906,11z

Navigation is working now, just routed KC to Ft. Smith and it was straight down I-49.

bassoon1986

On navigation the on ramps still say AR 549 (even at the MO 90 exit) but the highway itself says I-49

iPhone

Rick Powell

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.