News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 05, 2021, 09:24:06 PM
112 should have been widened 20 years ago
OT, I Was hoping that there would be more development south and east of Fayetteville. There should be more hotels and Truck stops in the Greenland area! Has that area grown any? US 71 south of Fayetteville near the airport is awful IMO but should be a prime area for development? Has there been any expansion out there?

There's less business growth in Fayetteville for such a need. Most new jobs are Springdale and North. The Fayetteville City Council is too concerned with woke issues and mask mandates over promoting  economic development.

Greenland and West Fork suffer from harder to develop land compared to Farmington/Prairie Grove and Elkins plus they're further away from core that's steadily shifting North.

I can see ADoT dropping down from the future US 412/AR612 western interchange to PG/Lincoln  before going further east with AR612 than Old Wire Road/AR265

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2021, 11:43:46 AM
OT, I Was hoping that there would be more development south and east of Fayetteville. There should be more hotels and Truck stops in the Greenland area! Has that area grown any? US 71 south of Fayetteville near the airport is awful IMO but should be a prime area for development? Has there been any expansion out there?

There's less business growth in Fayetteville for such a need. Most new jobs are Springdale and North. The Fayetteville City Council is too concerned with woke issues and mask mandates for economic development.

Fayetteville is an odd town. For many years it seemed like they were guarded against urban sprawl, but those days seem to be over now. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2021, 11:43:46 AM

There's less business growth in Fayetteville for such a need. Most new jobs are Springdale and North. The Fayetteville City Council is too concerned with woke issues and mask mandates for economic development.

Greenland and West Fork suffer from harder to develop land compared to Farmington/Prairie Grove and Elkins plus there further away from core that's steadily shifting North.

I can see ADot dropping down from the future US 412/AR612 western interchange to PG/Lincoln  before going further east with AR612 than Old Wire Road/AR265

Especially with the Western North-South Connector they studying now to drop from between Gravette and Hiwassee on the newly completed BVB and the XNA access road planned for the next segment of the Springdale Bypass (AR-612/US-412B/I-???).

It all seems like the genesis of 2 lanes of the previously studied Northwest Arkansas Western Beltway.  Hope I retire and sell out before Harmon Rd. gets replaced with whatever comes next for the area.

vdeane

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 07, 2021, 11:08:40 AM
Local TV report on traffic and development issues since opening of the bypass.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/local/bella-vista-bypass-minor-dilemma-surrounding-communities/527-5496d427-91d0-4d2b-af65-3661b869f310
If the GPS systems aren't updated for I-49, shouldn't they just be sending people down US 71 like they always did?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

US71

Arkansastravelguy

MikieTimT

Looks like the Google's GPS routing on the maps is getting better at least today.  It no longer routes on either US-71 or has folks getting off at Hiwasse if you put Sam's Club in Bentonville and an endpoint of Neosho, MO.  Who knows about the navigation functionality, though.

Thegeet

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 08, 2021, 02:06:01 PM
Looks like the Google's GPS routing on the maps is getting better at least today.  It no longer routes on either US-71 or has folks getting off at Hiwasse if you put Sam's Club in Bentonville and an endpoint of Neosho, MO.  Who knows about the navigation functionality, though.
And I-49 has been designated on the bypass for once.

Now, when will I-49 from AR-225 to I-40 be built?

O Tamandua

Quote from: Thegeet on October 08, 2021, 06:19:57 PM

Barring a total economic collapse (and I don't say that lightly), I think we're finished hearing about I-49 this year.  My gut feeling tells me in 2022 we'll get more than one story next year about both the current environmental studies of the I-49 Arkansas River bridge and possibly even the initial timetable for its construction, then if all goes well it starts in 2023 and we learn how long the extended bridge over the floodplain and the River bridge will take.  It was good to see a 40/29 report from this July indicating that the current design of the I-49 Alma interchange was created to be extended southward.  Again, the money is scheduled to start rolling in for it beginning in 2023, and they've allocated it for this section and the Greenwood-Y City one, even if they're the "Super 2" model.  It's a totally different scenario now for the remainder of I-49 Arkansas in multiple ways.

US71

Should be the next project, once ARDOT gets funding, but that mat be a couple years, Initially, it will be a Super 2 until ARDOT gets money to finish it.

ChimpOnTheWheel

As part of my trip to the NWA area (road tripping from Chicagoland), drove I-49 from Joplin to Centerton via the Bella Vista Bypass. Got off at exit 284.

Overall, very impressive drive. Was thrilled to see it.

Will get to drive the whole Bypass again tomorrow morning heading back, getting on from Walton Blvd and following I-49 to Joplin.
Just a casual.

MikieTimT

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 09, 2021, 01:54:38 AM

Barring a total economic collapse (and I don't say that lightly), I think we're finished hearing about I-49 this year.  My gut feeling tells me in 2022 we'll get more than one story next year about both the current environmental studies of the I-49 Arkansas River bridge and possibly even the initial timetable for its construction, then if all goes well it starts in 2023 and we learn how long the extended bridge over the floodplain and the River bridge will take.  It was good to see a 40/29 report from this July indicating that the current design of the I-49 Alma interchange was created to be extended southward.  Again, the money is scheduled to start rolling in for it beginning in 2023, and they've allocated it for this section and the Greenwood-Y City one, even if they're the "Super 2" model.  It's a totally different scenario now for the remainder of I-49 Arkansas in multiple ways.

The current southern ending of I-49 at I-40 clearly was designed to be taken across I-40 as the median widens out just south of the emergency vehicle crossover, so the current carriageways are really in essence just exit and entrance ramps from and to the right of what will be the mainline overpass over I-40.  There will have to be another fairly substantial overpass built over US-64 and the UP RR just to the south and parallel to I-40, unless they just do one really long one (over half a mile long) over all 3, which is probable given that the mainline I-49 carriageway will need to go over the eastbound I-40 to northbound I-49 flyover, so it'll have to be pretty tall as it doesn't appear they can go underneath I-40 with Frog Bayou/Clear Creek being right there and not far from the Arkansas River.  And it's pretty much all floodplain and the Arkansas River itself after bypassing Kibler until AR-22, so most all of it will need to be elevated either onto bridges or berms like I-40 in the ricelands of eastern AR and like I-57 will have to be in NE AR between Walnut Ridge and Corning.

Alex

Drove the new I-49 on Thursday. Looks like a lot of traffic was already using the Bella Vista Bypass section. The Missouri section was not as busy. Overall I thought it was designed well, though the addition of a truck climbing lane southbound might have been worthwhile.

Guide signs at both ends omit cardinal directions for I-49 and US 71. Still ongoing construction northbound leading to the separation.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 03, 2021, 02:44:08 PM
Anyway, Buc-ee's has become rather picky where they choose to open new "Big Store" locations. They seem to prefer sites adjacent to Interstates near key highway junctions and/or on the outer fringes of major metro areas. The new one off I-10 in Alabama seems like it's in an isolated spot, but that's the main exit for Gulf Shores. So traffic is crazy at that location. The one in Leeds, AL off I-20 is at the first exit East of the I-20/I-459 interchange. And there's a big outlet mall nearby.

Totally off topic, but the Buc-ee's in Baldwin County, Alabama was built at the interchange with the Baldwin Beach Express. The Baldwin Beach Express was completed in 2014. It is the supposed reliever and better way to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach over SR 59, which is still the main route. Since it opened, Buc-ee's has overwhelmed that interchange with traffic congestion.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: US71 on October 03, 2021, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 02, 2021, 11:58:48 PM
A Buc'ees would be nice in that stretch and would bring a lot of jobs!

More likely a Love's  or local talent.  :)
I could see a workmans there

iPhone
There's already a couple of Workmans off I-49 in Crawford and Benton counties, Exit 24 and Exit 78, at least until they redo the exit numbers to align with mileage to LA.  The Gravette exit, Exit 287, seems primed for a great deal of development.  Would be a no-brainer for something to crop up there.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 11, 2021, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: US71 on October 03, 2021, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 02, 2021, 11:58:48 PM
A Buc'ees would be nice in that stretch and would bring a lot of jobs!

More likely a Love's  or local talent.  :)
I could see a workmans there

iPhone
There's already a couple of Workmans off I-49 in Crawford and Benton counties, Exit 24 and Exit 78, at least until they redo the exit numbers to align with mileage to LA.  The Gravette exit, Exit 287, seems primed for a great deal of development.  Would be a no-brainer for something to crop up there.

The Exit 24 location looks rundown inside. It's changed owners a couple times before Workman's came along.

edwaleni

Look for more population shifting towards Gravette as the drive time just went down 25-30%.

Inquiries for commercial property at the AR-72 exit are in flight.  Don't be shocked if a Circle K or QT shows up by next spring.

Tomahawkin

They have QT locations in NWA? If so, when did this happen? Outside of Dallas, I haven't seen a QT west of the Mississippi...

clong

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 12, 2021, 12:19:29 PM
They have QT locations in NWA? If so, when did this happen? Outside of Dallas, I haven't seen a QT west of the Mississippi...

https://locations.quiktrip.com/ lists locations in Arizona (Phoenix area), Kansas (Kansas City, Lawrence and Wichita areas), Louisiana (Shreveport area), Oklahoma (Tulsa area), Missouri (Kansas City, St Louis, Joplin and Columbia areas), Iowa (Des Moines area) and Nebraska (Omaha area) in addition to Texas where a quick look at the list shows at least San Antonio, Austin and Waco besides the Metroplex.

MikieTimT

Arkansas is indeed west of the Mississippi River.  However, the closest QT is in the Joplin area where I-49 South and I-44 intersect.

US71

Quote from: edwaleni on October 12, 2021, 10:43:24 AM
Look for more population shifting towards Gravette as the drive time just went down 25-30%.

Inquiries for commercial property at the AR-72 exit are in flight.  Don't be shocked if a Circle K or QT shows up by next spring.

I wouldn't ignore Casey's.  They are becoming more and more of a presence.

mvak36

I'm surprised they haven't had a QT in NWA yet considering its proximity to their HQ (Tulsa). They might expand in that area now since it's booming.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on October 12, 2021, 03:55:57 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on October 12, 2021, 10:43:24 AM

I wouldn't ignore Casey's.  They are becoming more and more of a presence.

Casey's target market for years has been small towns in rural USA where there is little to no competition after 6PM local.

They don't make money on the gas, its on the fried chicken and pizza later in the evenings.

While I have seen them at small town rural exits, I don't see the AR-72 exit gaining one since there is one in Gravette already.

That exit has larger multi-pump with associated retail/fast food written all over it.

It will catch all the traffic that used to stop on the old US-71 for food/gas through Bella Vista.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 economy hotel springs up as well.

Razorback19

Believe they are almost finished building a QT in Little Rock by the Bass Pro/Outlet Mall off of I-30/I-430.

Plutonic Panda

QT is building a new location in OKC(first in the region) but it'll be a new format travel store. It'll have truck fueling spots and showers. I'd imagine they will expand on this concept and building on the new I-49 segment seems like a no brainer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.