Nicknames you have given roads

Started by bugo, May 11, 2013, 01:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I was just looking at some pictures of New York and a picture of the Marine Parkway Bridge prompted me to think of this thread. When we were kids, my brother and I always called it the "Marino." I have no idea why, although I recall our dentist was named Dr. Marino so maybe we thought the name sounded similar. I was probably in my 20s before I actually started thinking of it by its real name.

My cousin James, on the other hand, had trouble pronouncing the letter "r" when we were little kids. He called it the "Bidge to Beezy Point"!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DSS5

I don't really have any, but I like to emphasize the "park" part of Silas Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem because you don't go anywhere during rush hour, especially near the mall and hospital.

Ga293

US 27 through downtown Rome, GA is officially named "Turner McCall Blvd."; I call it Turner McCrawl because it takes forever to get across town.

Interstate 27 is the Lubbock Lasso.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: wphiii on May 14, 2013, 12:35:41 AM16th St NW in DC "the Georgia Ave Bypass."
When I was growing up, my father called it "Church Row."

jfs1988

If Caltrans & ADOT ever upgrade U.S. 95 to expressway or freeway standards, it should be named the Colorado River Freeway. The route through Arizona, California, & the southern part of Nevada parallels the river & connects cities that wouldn't even exist without the river.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.