News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What would deterr you from driving any road?

Started by Zeffy, February 23, 2014, 03:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

If my city had a good public transit system I won't drive.

CNGL-Leudimin

Tolls. I know toll roads as troll roads, as the Spanish ones (almost all are expressways, but they include also a few two way tunnels) have high toll fees (hence troll roads, as they troll you) and almost everyone tries to avoid them.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

The knowledge that my driving has externalities that negatively and perhaps irreversibly impact mankind.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Occidental Tourist

triplemultiplex

A gate, berm or series of large boulders.
Horrendously washboarded gravel.
A sign indicating it is closed to motor vehicles.
Being close enough to walk.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on February 24, 2014, 04:59:16 PM
The knowledge that my driving has externalities that negatively and perhaps irreversibly impact mankind.

I'm glad I don't have that problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 24, 2014, 09:49:47 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 24, 2014, 04:59:16 PM

I'm glad I don't have that problem.

Me too.

I'm wondering if SPUI's going to accidentally run over the guy who would otherwise cure cancer or something. That's the only "externality that might negatively and perhaps irreversibly impact mankind" that I can think of that his driving might cause.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

"Traffic" is an obvious answer, but it does apply.

A road being unpaved for any significant length will also stop me from driving it since my car isn't equipped to handle it (low ground clearance, and the condition of my suspension system is less than ideal).

On a dumber, more obsessive-compulsive note, when I am taking road trips I make a point of sticking to roads which are mapped on CHM (this way I can officially take credit for clinching them). So I tend to avoid county roads, and state highways in states whose systems are not up yet.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I wonder if HB and the rest of the idiots here are ever going to pull their heads out of their steadily-warming asses.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

QuoteOn a dumber, more obsessive-compulsive note, when I am taking road trips I make a point of sticking to roads which are mapped on CHM (this way I can officially take credit for clinching them). So I tend to avoid county roads, and state highways in states whose systems are not up yet.

I refuse to drive roads out of direction, which maybe makes me insane. I started driving US 2 eastbound way back in 2007, for example, so now whenever I go to clinch a segment of US 2, even if it were in Vermont or something, I would insist on driving it eastbound. After I clinch I'm good.

This leads to ridiculously convoluted routes sometimes, since I'm forced to stick to certain directions on certain roads.

I avoid county roads too.

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on February 24, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
QuoteOn a dumber, more obsessive-compulsive note, when I am taking road trips I make a point of sticking to roads which are mapped on CHM (this way I can officially take credit for clinching them). So I tend to avoid county roads, and state highways in states whose systems are not up yet.

I refuse to drive roads out of direction, which maybe makes me insane. I started driving US 2 eastbound way back in 2007, for example, so now whenever I go to clinch a segment of US 2, even if it were in Vermont or something, I would insist on driving it eastbound. After I clinch I'm good.

This leads to ridiculously convoluted routes sometimes, since I'm forced to stick to certain directions on certain roads.

I avoid county roads too.
County roads are nice, but you have to know which ones are the good ones.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I tell you something else that is detterring me from using OBT in Orlando now is the fact they eliminated that center turn lane between the Florida Turnpike and I-4, you have every Ozzie, Tom, Dick, and Harry making u turns at all the signalized intersections.  Since the grass filled medians are blocking motorists from making direct turns, you now have to make u turns at the next intersection or J turn.

I say this is because it interferes with left turns as to make a u turn it takes more time to maneuver the turn then it does a left turn.  Basically FDOT ended one problem by creating another problem and sometimes (or should I say many times) the left turn signals do not stay green very long and I have had to wait two long light changes to make a simple left turn while every car in front of me makes a u turn. 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

a) Impassable to a passenger car
b) High toll (I'll drive toll roads in small pieces - still don't have I-90 in NY though)
That's really about it. b) gets accounted for in my route planning. a) I usually have some idea that I'll need an alternate route so that I can make a go/no go decision when I get there, but sometimes I get taken by surprise and have to improvise. The best is when I get to a road and there's nothing there at all - it turned into a trail years ago and has been overgrown to blend in with its surroundings.

Brandon

1. Impassible to my vehicle.
2. Rush hour.  I seriously hate idling on a freeway.
3. An over abundance of red light and speed cameras.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on February 25, 2014, 01:25:42 AM
a) Impassable to a passenger car
b) High toll (I'll drive toll roads in small pieces - still don't have I-90 in NY though)
That's really about it. b) gets accounted for in my route planning. a) I usually have some idea that I'll need an alternate route so that I can make a go/no go decision when I get there, but sometimes I get taken by surprise and have to improvise. The best is when I get to a road and there's nothing there at all - it turned into a trail years ago and has been overgrown to blend in with its surroundings.

Try seeing a road on a map, but when you get there, the road is actually a creek bed, full of water and it hasn't rained in two weeks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Here's my top 5: high levels of congestion, too many traffic signals, very narrow stretches, no motorist services for 50 miles or more (as cited in the I-70 in UT example), poor lighting at night
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

Quote from: bing101 on February 24, 2014, 12:35:30 PM
If my city had a good public transit system I won't drive.

I certainly wouldn't drive to commute to work.  I took the train for two years and that worked quite well, but now I live in a completely different part of San Diego and public transportation would take me three hours to achieve the equivalent of a 20 minute drive.  one hour I could work with, for sure... but three sucks.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.