News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What’s The Most Common Street Name In America?

Started by Scott5114, December 28, 2014, 08:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 28, 2014, 05:24:03 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on December 28, 2014, 04:53:35 PM
With Broadway, some highly traveled street that breaks the grid, see Seattle, Portland, and NYC.

Richmond, Virginia has East and especially West Broad Street, one of the "main drags" in town, which is part of the "diagonal"-looking street grid system (that does not N-S/E-W).  Parts of Broad Street are U.S. 33 and U.S. 250, but I defer to Virginia experts like Takumi and MapMikey regarding the specifics.

Falls Church, Virginia also has East Broad Street and West Broad Street (all of both is Va. 7). The grid in Falls Church does not run N-S/E-W either.

North of the James R, the numbered grid starts in what seems like a random place and increases as you head southeast (northwest has no numbered streets).  These numbered streets are N xth St north of Main St (VA 147 or US 60) and S xth St south of it.  For the streets like Broad St that parallel Main St, the dividing line between E and W x St is Foushee St (1 block NW of 1st St).  For much of the numbered grid on this side of the river, the S xth St is only a block or two before running into the river.  Highest I saw is 39th St.

South of the James R, the numbered grid starts at the river's edge and run perpendicular to the numbered grid on the north side of the bridge.  E xth St and W xth St are divided by Hull St Rd (US 360).  Cross Streets that are parallel to Hull have no directional component to them.  Highest I saw is 49th St.

I have a detailed 1931 City of Richmond map at home.  I will check to see if the above descriptions were in place back then...

Mapmikey

cl94

Quote from: vtk on December 29, 2014, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on December 29, 2014, 02:21:17 PM
But it's a two-lane main drag -- which is strange for a city this size.

Depends on which section you're looking at.  But I'm sure any section that currently has only one lane in each direction, had more travel lanes at some point in the past.

All of it has at least 4 lanes, excluding 1 block in Old Worthington (was that way before I lived there 2003-07) and downtown (where 2 lanes were replaced by much-needed bus lanes very recently), plus it's paralleled by a one-way pair south of Hudson Street containing no fewer than 3 lanes/direction, a 4-lane artery between Hudson and Morse Road, and two 6-lane expressways north of I-70.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GCrites

Then you get into the debate whether lanes with meters on them are travel lanes instead of on-street parking like in the Short North.

cl94

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 29, 2014, 05:23:50 PM
Then you get into the debate whether lanes with meters on them are travel lanes instead of on-street parking like in the Short North.

If it's anything like Bexley where it's no parking starting at 4 PM and they tow at 4:00:01, I would count them as such
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GCrites

4-6 yes. And on the Cap it's the Department of Homeland Security that tows you, not the police.

mjb2002

When I checked the list in November, it had Second as the most common street name, not Main. I wonder why Church ain't ranked in the Top 10, because that is a hugely popular street name.

theline

Does it strike anyone as odd that there are 5,202 streets named View, ranking 16th? Out of the whole list, that's the only name which I've never encountered anywhere. I've seen plenty to streets with "view" as part of the name (Southernview, River View, Valley View), but never as the complete name. Could it be that the count is including the streets that include view as part of the name?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.