News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the newest signed route designation in your state/province/prefecture?

Started by kurumi, September 16, 2016, 01:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

How recently has a newly designated, signposted route been established in your area? As in "before that date, there was no Route X posted anywhere, but then there was"? Extensions, reroutes etc. do not count; nor do legislative, unposted, "secret" routes.

Connecticut has what seems like a pretty mature system. New unposted routes have been established recently. New alignments of existing routes have opened up. But the most recent New route numbers are CT 130 (designated 1992) and I-291 (portions open, and signed, in 1992).

However, the CT 130 number was used earlier, as was CT 291; so the most recent never-before-used posted route number in CT is CT 244 (Feb. 1, 1988). I have a feeling most other states have something newer. Possibly Alaska wins the "least recent new signposted route" prize in the US?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Bruce

A 0.63-mile section of the proposed Cross Base Highway (SR 704) was signed in 2009.

In the time since, SR 908 has been removed and SR 527 significantly shortened. Other than that, our state legislature approved a $15 billion works package that will extend a bunch of existing highways, but not create any new ones. It's more likely that some will be removed, like SR 513 in Seattle (which is pretty much useless now).

DandyDan

I believe the one in Nebraska is S-27D, which is the spur which goes into Hooper from US 275.  This was created when they built the divided highway south of town and since all towns above a certain size have to be a part of the highway system, they had to build it.  I don't remember when it happened, but it was before 2010.

Iowa's is IA 471, which is simply old US 71 between US 20 and IA 175.  I think it would have been better to make it an extended IA 39, which currently ends 5 miles to the west on IA 175.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

cbeach40

In terms of open to traffic, Ontario's Highway 412 opened in June of this year.
and waterrrrrrr!

Avalanchez71

roadman

It's not a "route where there never was one before" situation, but Massachusetts's newest route designation is Route 129A in Lynn, which was created in 1995 on a section of former Route 129.  This was done as a condition of re-routing Route 129 into the Downtown Lynn area.  Both the Route 129 re-routing and the new Route 129A were implemented by MassDPW at the urging of City of Lynn officials and the local legislative delegation.  Route 129A was created to appease the local businesses along the section of Route 129 to be relocated after they protested about the plan.

Owing to issues with how the signing changes were implemented, there was a long period of time where Route 129 markers were still in place along the "new" Route 129A.  And there's at least one location I'm aware of (the intersection of Eastern Avenue and Western Avenue) where a D6 'paddle' sign still has a Route 129 shield on it to this day.  Correction:  Per latest GSV, the remaining incorrect D6 signs now have 129A shields - thanks PHLBOS for the info.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

QuoteI-840 just changed from SR 840 in Tennessee.

Looking at the OP's criteria, this one wouldn't apply because it was already a Route 840.

Assuming the OP isn't including bannered routes, the latest in Vermont would be VT 279...first segment opened in 2004.

Mike might have a better idea, but I believe Virginia's would be three that happened at once:  VA 286, VA 289, and VA 294 were designated in 2012.

I'm pretty sure Minnesota's latest is MN 336, designated ca. 1991.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheStranger

California 905/future I-905 in the late 1980s as a replacement for what had been Route 117 in San Ysidro seems to be the winner out here, as far as newest numbered route to have never been used before to be established.   New routes from the 1990s that use older numbers: Route 7 (El Centro) and 11 (Otay Mesa/San Ysidro).  210 extension east of Route 57 might be the newest signed state route technically (dating to 1999) though it is not the establishment of newly defined numbered route.

I'm not sure there are any newly designated state routes since then, with CalTrans's tendency towards relinquishment in the decades since 905 was created.
Chris Sampang

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2016, 11:12:50 AM

There was MN-312, the temporary designation for the new US-212 freeway, but that one's obviously no longer with us.

empirestate

New York's would be I-781, then. I-99 was designated more recently, but there had previously been a NY 99.

iPhone

Scott5114

On March 10, 2014, Oklahoma added the SH-351 and SH-364 designations to the existing Muskogee and Creek turnpikes, respectively. Previously, they had no number.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Eth

As near as I can tell, Georgia's newest route is SR 385, designated in either 1992 or 1993 along a portion of former US 23/441/SR 15 near Clarkesville. That seems to be the end of the most recent wave of new numbers, with 383, 384, 387 (now part of SR 6), 388, 515, and 520 all also showing up in the late '80s and early '90s.

Avalanchez71

Tennessee had a bunch of former county roads numbered in the 400s that were designated in the past two decades.  One of them is SSR 441 in Brentwood, TN.  This was a local road that was taken over by the state as th Galleria Mall was built near the Franklin/Brentwood border.  Franklin didn't want to help Brentwood expand the road and Brentwood didn't want the road expanded if the mall was to be in Franklin.  So then the state ended up expanding the road and solved that crisis.

Thing 342

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2016, 11:12:50 AM
QuoteI-840 just changed from SR 840 in Tennessee.

Looking at the OP's criteria, this one wouldn't apply because it was already a Route 840.

Assuming the OP isn't including bannered routes, the latest in Vermont would be VT 279...first segment opened in 2004.

Mike might have a better idea, but I believe Virginia's would be three that happened at once:  VA 286, VA 289, and VA 294 were designated in 2012.

VA-281 appeared sometime after 2013, making it the newest route, as far as I can tell.

Mapmikey

US 460 Bus for Grundy is the most recent new designation in Virginia, AFAIK (2014).

North Carolina's is probably NC 906 depending on when US 401 Bus Rolesville actually showed up and whether Future I-42 signs change the answer...

South Carolina is probably these all at the same time: SC 128, SC 281, SC 315

Avalanchez71

US 641 was extended south over SR 69 from I-40 in Tennessee this year.

NE2

Florida's most recent signed state road is probably SR 269, the Quincy bypass (opened January 2015).

There was formerly a different SR 269, but who cares?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

Why does Quincy need to be bypassed?  Sounds like a waste of $$$.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JasonOfORoads

The Beltline Highway in Eugene, Oregon became OR-569 in 2007. It was slated to be OR-69, numbered after its hidden highway number, but due to concerns over possible sign theft they switched it to OR-569 instead. This change made it Oregon's highest-numbered state route when it was eventually signed in summer 2007.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

noelbotevera

I think the newest state route in PA is a bannered route, Business PA 8 in Oil City. It was introduced in 2000.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

dgolub

Quote from: empirestate on September 16, 2016, 12:39:04 PM
New York's would be I-781, then. I-99 was designated more recently, but there had previously been a NY 99.

iPhone

What about NY 747?

noelbotevera

Quote from: dgolub on September 16, 2016, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: empirestate on September 16, 2016, 12:39:04 PM

iPhone

What about NY 747?
A quick Google search says that it was introduced in 2007. I'd say I-781 is the newest (2012).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Thing 342

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 16, 2016, 03:58:42 PM
US 460 Bus for Grundy is the most recent new designation in Virginia, AFAIK (2014).
I think VA-8 BUS in Stuart might actually be a couple months newer, appearing in either late 2014 or early 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.