News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the worst maintained interstate?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 08, 2017, 10:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

- I-684, concrete portions only
- I-87, Major Deegan Expressway. Substandard and riddled with potholes.
- I-395 (CT). At least the signs are new.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 03:13:38 AM
I nominate any Portland freeway that isn't I 205.

Lol no. If you've ever driven on California's Interstates, you'd realize that our freeways aren't even close to as bad. I-80 through the Sierras has some notorious bad spots, and someone else mentioned how piss poor the quality is on I-5 as soon as you cross south into California.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: csw on December 09, 2017, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM
Pick an IDOT maintained interstate, any IDOT maintained interstate.

Hey now, I-57 south of Mt Vernon is in pretty good shape.

A rarity.

I-64, I-24, and I-70 are also in pretty good condition, IIRC.
Unless that part of the state shouldn't count as Illinois....   :crazy:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on December 12, 2017, 01:22:03 PM

Lol no. If you've ever driven on California's Interstates, you'd realize that our freeways aren't even close to as bad. I-80 through the Sierras has some notorious bad spots, and someone else mentioned how piss poor the quality is on I-5 as soon as you cross south into California.

Yes.  I-880 through Oakland.  Loads of fun dodging the pieces of concrete that have fallen off the side walls of the road, what with no shoulders and deep puddles that form when there's a half an inch of rain.  And praying to all that's holy that the Big One doesn't hit while I'm on it.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 08, 2017, 10:50:43 PM
I would nominate I-70 in eastern Pennsylvania.
I'm not real sure where I-70 goes through eastern Pennsylvania though. I've driven on I-70 in Pennsylvania and there isn't much wrong with how it's maintained. Maybe some design flaws but not anything wrong with how they maintain it. I-70 is more western and central PA not eastern.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kkt on December 12, 2017, 04:36:35 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on December 12, 2017, 01:22:03 PM

Yes.  I-880 through Oakland.  Loads of fun dodging the pieces of concrete that have fallen off the side walls of the road, what with no shoulders and deep puddles that form when there's a half an inch of rain.  And praying to all that's holy that the Big One doesn't hit while I'm on it.
I have never been to California, I'm just going off of what I've seen.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

inkyatari

Illinois interstates are the worst.  But only the IDOT ones.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on December 18, 2017, 11:04:09 AM

Again, what's wrong with I-64 across Illinois?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2017, 03:15:38 PM

We're usually looking at northern Illinois interstates.  I-64 might be fine, but I-80 is a mess of potholes and bridges in dire need of repair.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 18, 2017, 04:02:59 PM

My point is that I picked an IDOT-maintained interstate.  I-24 is another excellent one.  As is I-70.  How is I-72 doing these days?

We're usually looking at northern Illinois interstates.

Who is?  If you're going to ignore half the state, then say as much up front.
Male pronouns, please.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2017, 03:15:38 PM

We're usually looking at northern Illinois interstates.  I-64 might be fine, but I-80 is a mess of potholes and bridges in dire need of repair.

Exactly why I avoid Chicago at all costs: if riding in a taxi was rough, I couldn't imagine driving there.

I have family in Normal Illinois and we prefer to fly into St. Louis for many reasons.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

Chicago is fine if you hit it at the right time of the day. Whenever I've been traveling and had to travel via Chicago to get somewhere I'd plan on hitting Chicago between 2am-5am. The only traffic you really encounter is around the Circle Interchange downtown where the Kennedy, Dan Ryan and Eisenhower all come together and the Stevenson coming in a little south of it and that's not too bad the speed limit in that stretch is 45 mph but you just have to keep up with the flow of traffic and ignore what the speed limit is.

I've hit Chicago at the best of times and the worst of times. The worst I believe was in 2005 I was on my way to a White Sox game and ended up sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan for so long I sunburned the side of my arm since my car had no a/c I had to keep the windows down. That wasn't too much fun but the Sox won the game I went to so I was happy about that.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 10, 2017, 10:35:28 PM
I-475 in Flint, Michigan
I saw somewhere that MDOT has plans to downgrade part of this freeway from 6 lanes to 4 lanes.

Back on topic, I-69 between I-96 and US-127 is extremely bumpy

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on December 31, 2017, 02:24:51 PM
I-475 in Flint, Michigan
I saw somewhere that MDOT has plans to downgrade part of this freeway from 6 lanes to 4 lanes.

I-475 is six lanes between it's northern terminus and exit 13 Saginaw Street then it becomes six lanes until it gets to the other side of Flint before it goes back down to four lanes where it meets I-75 at its southern terminus. I-475 sees a lot of traffic though it serves as a bypass of I-75 which between US 23 and I-69 is very congested with a lot of people making lane movements for 23 or 69.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on December 31, 2017, 02:24:51 PM
I-475 in Flint, Michigan

I-69 is pretty bumpy in Flint too between I-75 and I-475 especially just north of the GM plant on Van Slyke.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

catsynth

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 12, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
- I-87, Major Deegan Expressway. Substandard and riddled with potholes.
- I-395 (CT). At least the signs are new.

Deegan is currently getting a lot of construction, which makes it intolerable at the moment, but hopefully better and slightly more modern when it's done.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

catsynth

How about I-278 in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island?  (I have no quarrel with the Bruckner portion, personally)
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

silverback1065

65 from indy to us 30 is always in shitty shape. 

cl94

I-90 through the Cattaraugus Reservation in western Erie County, NY may be the worst in the northeast right now. Senecas won't let NYSTA do any work on it (it needs a full-depth reconstruction), so potholes galore. Speed limit was lowered to 55 due to poor road conditions.

The short stretch of I-684 near the Saw Mill Parkway that is still original concrete is miserable. The remainder of the road has been resurfaced recently. I-86 through the Allegheny Reservation and I-88 between Binghamton and Oneonta were miserable before the recent reconstruction projects.

I-278 is in miserable shape, but you can't go fast enough to really notice how bad it is. Can't hit those bumps at 65+ like you can on I-90/684.

I think this wins the thread. Every IDOT mile I have driven on is pure hell (ISHTA stuff is beautiful). I'm not looking forward to taking I-70 across the state in August for that reason.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: cl94 on January 02, 2018, 03:19:59 PM

I think this wins the thread. Every IDOT mile I have driven on is pure hell (ISHTA stuff is beautiful). I'm not looking forward to taking I-70 across the state in August for that reason.

Haven't been there in several years, but I know I-70 used to be a beautiful highway with no quality issues.
Male pronouns, please.

silverback1065

I-90 through the Cattaraugus Reservation in western Erie County, NY may be the worst in the northeast right now. Senecas won't let NYSTA do any work on it (it needs a full-depth reconstruction), so potholes galore. Speed limit was lowered to 55 due to poor road conditions.

The short stretch of I-684 near the Saw Mill Parkway that is still original concrete is miserable. The remainder of the road has been resurfaced recently. I-86 through the Allegheny Reservation and I-88 between Binghamton and Oneonta were miserable before the recent reconstruction projects.

I-278 is in miserable shape, but you can't go fast enough to really notice how bad it is. Can't hit those bumps at 65+ like you can on I-90/684.

who are the senecas and why are they holding up a project like this?

PHLBOS

FYI, the northern concrete stretch from Exit 8 northward (likely the original 1971-era pavement) is currently undergoing a reconstruction to asphalt surfaces.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 02, 2018, 04:51:36 PM
FYI, the northern concrete stretch from Exit 8 northward (likely the original 1971-era pavement) is currently undergoing a reconstruction to asphalt surfaces.

Reconstruction was supposedly completed a few weeks ago. Area around the Saw Mill is still 1970s concrete.

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 02, 2018, 03:50:56 PM

who are the senecas and why are they holding up a project like this?

Can't build on a reservation without approval of the tribe. The tribe is holding back highway repairs as retribution for natives no longer having a monopoly on gambling in the state.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on January 02, 2018, 04:54:58 PM

Reconstruction was supposedly completed a few weeks ago. Area around the Saw Mill is still 1970s concrete.
I was just there this past Dec. 27 and the project, as a whole, wasn't fully completed.  While most of the repaving between Exit 8 and just south of I-84 is done; there's still some work remaining at the I-84 interchange itself.  Construction barrels north of exit 8 & VMS' approaching the work zone were still present.  I'm sure the recent snowfalls and bitter colder than normal temps that followed played a role delaying the completion of the project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2018, 11:31:07 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 02, 2018, 04:54:58 PM

I was just there this past Dec. 27 and the project, as a whole, wasn't fully completed.  While most of the repaving between Exit 8 and just south of I-84 is done; there's still some work remaining at the I-84 interchange itself.  Construction barrels north of exit 8 & VMS' approaching the work zone were still present.  I'm sure the recent snowfalls and bitter colder than normal temps that followed played a role delaying the completion of the project.

Really? Wow. I was through there in November and that is roughly what it looked like then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.