News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What Vehicle is more entitled on the Road

Started by Tonytone, October 25, 2018, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: roadman on October 26, 2018, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on October 26, 2018, 09:30:56 AM
Depends on who you ask/where you're talking about, I feel.  I use them interchangeably.

Ever see a line of Schwinn ten speeds outside a biker bar?
I thought it was the Motorcycle bar? & depends where you are, in the city you will probably see bicycles outside a bar.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

kphoger

Depends on who you ask/where you're talking about, I feel.  I use them interchangeably.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 10:36:36 AM
Guy I carpool with calls himself a biker, even though all he does is ride a bicycle.  He's also the most pussiest person I know.  All he does is complain about real bikers.

So that's two confirmed cases of a person calling a cyclist a "biker".  I think we might need some more reports before calling it acceptable usage...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2018, 02:24:09 PM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 10:36:36 AM
Guy I carpool with calls himself a biker, even though all he does is ride a bicycle.  He's also the most pussiest person I know.  All he does is complain about real bikers.

So that's two confirmed cases of a person calling a cyclist a "biker".  I think we might need some more reports before calling it acceptable usage...
Biking , Bikers cyclist motorcycle . I believe all these terms are interchangeable with each other. AROUND these parts, people call both bikes & motorcycle riders. Bikers. Shit I've seen people with motors on the bikes so. I think the term can be used both ways.

iPhone

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2018, 02:24:09 PMSo that's two confirmed cases of a person calling a cyclist a "biker".  I think we might need some more reports before calling it acceptable usage...

I consider the term biker in reference to a person riding a human-powered pedal cycle to be idiomatic only in the phrase mountain bikerBiker by itself implies black leather, chains, "hogs," and a whole host of highly colored and mostly negative cultural baggage.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
Can't recall their names right now, but in pre-term-limits CA, there were several state legislators with gobs of seniority (and generally sitting on every committee that dispersed funds!) from the Bay Area -- that commuted daily to Sacramento when in session, and who regularly were seen (or clocked) doing 90+ on I-80, usually in the straight stretch between Vacaville & Davis -- generally in both directions.  Since CA didn't have specific legislative license plates, occasionally they'd get pulled over by CHP or the local LEO's -- but they'd (a) identify themselves and get off with a warning or (b) take the ticket, hand it to someone else in the Capitol, and it was dealt with off-book.  It became something of a political football in the late '80's and early '90's (members of both parties -- and both genders -- were regular offenders).  For a while they were issued very visible large reflective bumper stickers identifying them as state "officials", ostensibly to make officers "back off" when approaching from the rear.  But with today's political atmosphere -- and term limits -- functioning as an entitled asshole doesn't contribute to the ability to move from office to office (a side-effect of term limits!), so it hasn't been an issue (or publicized as such) for the last 20-odd years.

GaryV

I'm not sure what vehicle is more entitled.

But it sure seems that a lot of owners of expensive vehicles think they're entitled to something.  My thought is, "Just because you paid too much for your car, doesn't mean you bought the road."

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on October 26, 2018, 04:42:34 PM
I'm not sure what vehicle is more entitled.

But it sure seems that a lot of owners of expensive vehicles think they're entitled to something.  My thought is, "Just because you paid too much for your car, doesn't mean you bought the road."

Reminds me of something a guy I knew used to say.  He was a farmer out in western Kansas, used to be a long-haul trucker for a while.  Anyway, he had a habit of straddling the yellow line on rural highways.  His defense:  "I pay taxes on both sides of the road!"
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

As silly as it sounds, I find that the low-numbered (read, expensive) license plate drivers in Delaware seem to act that way, but I have no verifiable proof of it.

Speaking of politicians, here's one from Arizona.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 26, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
As silly as it sounds, I find that the low-numbered (read, expensive) license plate drivers in Delaware seem to act that way, but I have no verifiable proof of it.

Speaking of politicians, here's one from Arizona.
I believe it. Most of those people own land & businesses that are influential to Delaware & It's people. 

iPhone

formulanone

Horse above anything else without an emergency lighting setup.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on October 26, 2018, 11:42:11 PM
Vehicles with blue lights.

Yeah -- really!?  San Jose is full of black motorcycles (SJ cops' vehicles -- bikes & other vehicles -- are navy blue, so it's hard to differentiate after dusk) with strategically placed blue LED clusters to make them look like cop bikes.  Must be a game to them -- pulling out from driveways or cross streets and following your vehicle for several blocks before either passing you or turning off.  In keeping with this thread -- possibly they feel entitled to fuck with you!

MikieTimT

Thankfully, in Arkansas, they're building bike paths to get as many bicycles off the road as possible.  At least the ones that are most likely to hold up traffic for more than a mile.  Northwest Arkansas is connected by 40+ miles of bike path, with very little sharing roadway with traffic.

Looks like they are about to build 60 miles of path from Little Rock to Hot Springs as well.
http://ardot.gov/public_meetings/2018/061562/061562.aspx

kphoger

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 14, 2018, 09:15:29 AM
Thankfully, in Arkansas, they're building bike paths to get as many bicycles off the road as possible.  At least the ones that are most likely to hold up traffic for more than a mile.  Northwest Arkansas is connected by 40+ miles of bike path, with very little sharing roadway with traffic.

Drivers who get held up by a bicycle for more than a mile need to learn how to drive.
Male pronouns, please.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2018, 01:11:28 PM

Drivers who get held up by a bicycle for more than a mile need to learn how to drive.

Correct. As a cyclist I get nervous as hell when people hang behind me because they don't know how to drive properly.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on November 14, 2018, 01:47:01 PM

Correct. As a cyclist I get nervous as hell when people hang behind me because they don't know how to drive properly.

It makes you wonder what they would do if the road were five feet narrower, even without cyclists.  Just park the car, get out, and start sobbing?
Male pronouns, please.

inkyatari

Quote from: SectorZ on November 14, 2018, 01:47:01 PM

Don't get me started. And don't get me started on how packs of motorcyclists make things worse for cyclists.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

sparker

One thing I've noticed is that folks driving larger trucks (tricked-out F150's, Ram 1500, etc.) -- tend to be the ones who have the smallest level of etiquette or even recognition that there's someone else on the road aside from themselves.  This even carries over to parking lots -- at least anecdotally on a personally observed basis, they're the most likely to leave a shopping cart in the adjacent space after using it, making other potential parkers (a) avoid that space, or (b) get out and move the cart (I normally am reasonably tolerant, but that's something that royally pisses me off!). 

kphoger

Quote from: sparker on November 14, 2018, 05:08:13 PM
they're the most likely to leave a shopping cart in the adjacent space after using it, making other potential parkers (a) avoid that space, or (b) get out and move the cart (I normally am reasonably tolerant, but that's something that royally pisses me off!). 

Don't get me started.  My first job was pushing shopping carts full-time.
Male pronouns, please.

sparker

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2018, 09:54:54 AM
they're the most likely to leave a shopping cart in the adjacent space after using it, making other potential parkers (a) avoid that space, or (b) get out and move the cart (I normally am reasonably tolerant, but that's something that royally pisses me off!). 

And I'm guessing you had to do it before they had motorized "trams" pushing the carts by RC!  My sympathies.  But, OTOH, some stores could do a better job of distributing their "cart corrals"; whole sections of larger parking lots often feature none.  Nevertheless, I'd attribute much of the problem to (a) laziness (b) distraction [kids in car, etc.] -- or simply (c) not giving a shit!

kphoger

Quote from: sparker on November 15, 2018, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2018, 09:54:54 AM

And I'm guessing you had to do it before they had motorized "trams" pushing the carts by RC!  My sympathies.  But, OTOH, some stores could do a better job of distributing their "cart corrals"; whole sections of larger parking lots often feature none.  Nevertheless, I'd attribute much of the problem to (a) laziness (b) distraction [kids in car, etc.] -- or simply (c) not giving a shit!

No, I got to use the motorized cart with remote control as long as it wasn't raining outside.  I was pretty darned efficient, having figured out that the range of the remote control was about 40 carts or so.  It wasn't until a few months into my job that I was informed there was an official limit on how many carts to be attached to the front of that thing.  Oh well.

My worst experience at that job was when I picked up a diaper that someone had left in the parking lot.  I found out AFTER picking it up that not only was it beyond full of raunchy poop, but also that it hadn't even been bundled up–just kind of folded over.

I was fortunate enough to quit that job right at the beginning of Chicago winter weather, only had to push carts in the snow once or twice.  Have you ever had to push a shopping cart through a few inches of snow?  Now imagine trying to push four or five of them at a time.  Oh yeah, and I only weight about 115 pounds or so.
Male pronouns, please.

briantroutman

[And I'm guessing you had to do it before they had motorized "trams" pushing the carts by RC!

Reminded me of this famous ad:

Nevertheless, I'd attribute much of the problem to (a) laziness (b) distraction [kids in car, etc.] -- or simply (c) not giving a shit!

Also blame Publix which eschews cart corrals in favor of wasting employee time (and customers' money) by having bowtie clad employees roaming the parking lot picking up lazy peoples' carts like it was still 1955. I was once at a Publix walking a cart back to the store entrance when an employee came running after me: "Sir...you don't have to do that."  

Likewise, I've encountered a few Panera franchises where employees roam around the dining area picking up used trays and dishes or actually encourage customers to "just leave them on your table"  when leaving. What happens when these customers go to another Panera (or similar quick service restaurant) where pickup patrols aren't roaming around? They're perhaps unintentionally training customers to be lazy and messy.

formulanone

Quote from: briantroutman on November 15, 2018, 06:51:17 PMAlso blame Publix which eschews cart corrals in favor of wasting employee time (and customers’ money) by having bowtie clad employees roaming the parking lot picking up lazy peoples’ carts like it was still 1955.

Hey, that's exactly how I got away from the drudgery of being indoors when I was 15-17. Lot check!

A few Publixes do have cart corrals, though they're a recent phenomenon. The bowties are optional (George Jenkins famously wore them), but the necktie was a requirement for male employees until 1994 or so.

So you're telling me that everyone always puts their carts away even with corrals? Because there's still errant carts everywhere I go.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on November 15, 2018, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on November 15, 2018, 06:51:17 PMAlso blame Publix which eschews cart corrals in favor of wasting employee time (and customers' money) by having bowtie clad employees roaming the parking lot picking up lazy peoples' carts like it was still 1955.

Hey, that's exactly how I got away from the drudgery of being indoors when I was 15-17. Lot check!

A few Publixes do have cart corrals, though they're a recent phenomenon. The bowties are optional (George Jenkins famously wore them), but the necktie was a requirement for male employees until 1994 or so.

So you're telling me that everyone always puts their carts away even with corrals? Because there's still errant carts everywhere I go.
I worked at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure) as a bagger, er, "front end associate" in the summer of 1995 and I definitely didn't have to wear a bowtie or necktie, just a polo shirt.  Though I'm almost positive the store managers had to wear shirts and ties and the cashiers (male and female) had to wear bowties.

If I recall correctly, the reason Publix didn't have cart corrals in the parking lots was because the "front end associates" were supposed to bag the groceries, put the groceries in the cart, push the cart to the customer's car, load the groceries in the car, and then push the now-empty cart back into the store.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Never patronized a Publix (probably not surprising for a west coaster!) -- thus my question is:  were customers expected to tip these "front end associates" for their assistance?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.