News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What would you do with the stimulus?

Started by Darkchylde, February 14, 2009, 05:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkchylde

I just posted about it on my blog, and I figured it might be a good topic for here.

If you were in charge of your state's DOT (or variant therein), what projects would you try to get going with stimulus money? (Never mind things like environmental studies or purchasing right-of-way, this is all hypothetical anyway.)

I'll go ahead and list the ones I'd want to see started or done:

• Widening of Interstate 12 between Juban Road and I-10/I-59 to six lanes
  • Putting gates and lights at all non-private rail crossings in the state
  • Reconfiguration of the I-10/I-110 split in Baton Rouge
  • Construction of an interchange between LA 1088 (Future LA 3241) and I-12 northeast of Mandeville
  • Build a relief route for I-59 (designated as US 11) in eastern St. Tammany Parish (looking forward to hurricane season)

So, what would you do with the roads with stimulus cash?

Michael

In Auburn, NY, I'd get rid of all of the potholes.  Some must be four feet wide and six inches deep.  I really should go measure one to find out!

Chris

6 inches deep? That's not a pothole, that's a manhole  :)

rawr apples

In Oregon

-Widening OR-217 to 6-8 lanes its entire length
 -Widen US-26 west of 185th to 6 lanes
 -Designate US-26 between I-405 and Exit 55 Dersham Rd as I-605
 -Upgrade Salem Pkwy in Salem to an interstate standard freeway and designate it I-305
 -Create an at grade expressway from Hillsboro to Tualatin
Now shut up and drivee

Michael

Quote from: Chris on February 14, 2009, 05:42:38 PM
6 inches deep? That's not a pothole, that's a manhole  :)
Here's the best example I could find online:

My mom broke a spring on her car because of the potholes!

corco

For Washington I'd get all the existing projects that are sitting around finished, so:

TWIN BORE SR 99 tunnel that's really nice and has interchanges
SR 704 cross-base from SR 7 to I-5
SR 167 freeway completion from SR 512 to SR 509
Extension of the SR 509 freeway from I-5 to existing SR 509 (numbered as SR 517)

Additionally I'd upgrade SR 539 from I-5 to the border into at least a 4 lane expressway and complete the SR 18 corridor and designate it as Interstate 605

Idaho I'd widen I-84 to make sure it's at least  6 + 2 HOV from Caldwell all the way to Boise
I'd reconfigure SH-55/Eagle Rd as a divided highway, eliminating several intersections or making them right turn only
I'd complete the SH-16 corridor from Emmett to I-84, complete the upgrading of SH-16 from SH-44 to SH-52 as expressway
I'd extend SH-16 as an expressway up through the controversial Indian Valley area and then build US-95 as expressway as best as possible from Indian Valley to SH-55 in New Meadows.
I'd take US-95 from SH-55 to Lewiston and build additional passing lanes from SH-55 to Whitebird (not feasible to build an expressway there I don't think), and then make the sucker full expressway from Whitebird to Lewiston.

This would finally give Idaho a true north-south corridor from Boise-Lewiston and alleviate traffic on SH-55.

Wyoming doesn't need a dime of stimulus money for anything other than resurfacing but I guess I'd upgrade I-180 to a freeway if I can do whatever I want

TheStranger

Widening of Business 80 between E Street and Arden Way in Sacramento, and reconfiguring the Marconi Curve to be less sharp than it is at present.
Chris Sampang

yanksfan6129

vdeane

For New York:
-Upgrade I-490 to six lanes from NY 31F to NY 96 at Bushnell's Basin
-Upgrade I-90 to six lanes from I-390 to I-481
-Build I-98 from I-81 to I-87
-Finish the interchange between NY 104 and NY 590 (also reconstruct the portion of NY 590 here)
-Reconstruct NY 390 from I-490 to NY 104 and rebuild the I-390/I-490 interchange like the state has intended (and apparently canceled) for a decade now
-Replace a couple bridges on NY 104 between Irondequoit Bay and Webster that keep getting potholes every month
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Marc

For Jackson, Mississippi:

- Widen I-20 from Clinton eastward to Brandon to have no less than three mainlanes each direction (includes resurfacing where needed).
- Widen I-55 from Byram northward to Canton to have no less than three mainlanes each direction.
- Overhaul I-20/I-55 overlap and I-55 south interchange.
- Complete I-220 making it a full loop. On the northeast side (the most populated area of Jackson) overlap I-220 with Spillway Rd. along the Reservoir and connect it to I-20 east of Brandon. Ensure the northern half of the belt has no less than three mainlanes each direction.
- Resurface city streets where needed (this should take a lot of money)  :-D
- Widen MS-25 (Lakeland Dr.) to three lanes from Flowood Dr. eastward to MS-471.
- Upgrade MS-475 from I-20 northward to Lakeland Dr. to freeway standards for airport traffic. Add a flyover from I-20 east onto MS-475 north for airport traffic.

That's all I can think of for now. 55 has gotten plenty of attention through Jackson, but 20 has plenty of bad spots. The Crossgates area to the east has bad congestion along I-20, but it only has two lanes in each direction.

travelinmiles

Lets see, so much to name. 
In Philly, do a modest widening of the Schuylkill from Valley Forge to the Walt Whitman, it would maintain a minimum of 6 lanes with at least 2HOV/Diamond lanes. I would add HOV lanes to I-95 from the NJ Stateline to DE Stateline. I476 from US 30 to I95 1 HOV for each direction. Turn the Roosevelt BLVD into a full freeway from Broad St to Bensalem with a transit line in the center out to the city line. Resurface and mondernize all freeways in need.

Bryant5493

1) Reconstruct the I-285/SR 400 interchange, in Sandy Springs, GA
2) Construct a direct connection between SR 400 South and I-85 North, and I-85 South and SR 400
3) Construct a direct connection between I-985 South and I-85 North, and I-85 South and I-985 North
4) Reconstruct SR 166 altogether, the whole freeway is outdated
5) Repave several streets within the City of Atlanta
6) Four lane SR 314 (W. Fayetteville Rd.), from SR 139 (Riverdale Rd.) and SR 279 (the route south of SR 279 to SR 85 is four lanes)

That's a short list.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Revive 755

Missouri:
* New MO 47 Missouri River Bridge at Washington - ideally a twin span
* Start widening I-55 from Rte M to US 67 in Jefferson County - actually under consideration as a stimulus project by MoDOT)
* Build overpass to carry US 63 over the COLT Railroad - same as above
* Repave many of the lettered routes, with some of the more traveled ones being realigned and having shoulders added
* Rebuild the I-55/I-44/Truman Parkway interchange.  Proposed design:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117499567522166489363.00046012efd0d0606423c&z=16.  The bridges here will probably need replacing anyway in a few years.
* Complete rebuild of US 36 between I-29 and I-229.  US 36 would be built to interstate standards, and the interchange with I-229 would be stoplight-free on US 36 and have full access in all directions - probably as a volleyball interchange.
* Rebuild US 65 between I-44 and US 60 with six lanes.  All bridges except the one carrying US 65 over Rte D/Sunshine Street would be replaced, and allow for a future expansion of US 65 to eight lanes.
* Widen I-44 between Pacific and US 50 to six lanes, including replacement of the existing pavement.

Nebraska
* Finish widening I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln - actually under consideration.  The pavement on the unfinished section needs replacing anyway.
* Repave US 77 south of Beatrice.  Add 6' paved shoulders.

Missouri-Illinois
* Twin span or complete replacement for the Chain of Rocks Bridge
* Replacement of the Poplar Street Bridge (they repave it every two years)
* Replacement of the bridge at Chester (hate to see the current one go, but it's a bit narrow for two way traffic with lots of trucks)

Illinois-Kentucky
* New four lane bridge connecting I-57 between Cairo and Mound City to US 60 just south of Barlow.  The project would be built to interstate standards to allow for a future connection to I-24 near Paducah.  The interchange with I-57 would allow for a future connection to Cape Giradeau to be added later. 

njroadhorse

New Jersey:
Upgrade US 206 to a freeway between I-80 and I-287 and between Trenton and I-287
Widen NJ 70 and NJ 37 to better facilitate traffic in their respective areas
Rebuild NJ 495
Build a newer bridge between Lambertville and New Hope, PA on NJ 179
Build I-80 express lanes
Rebuild I-280 in Newark
Reconfigure Exit 64 on I-80

I could go on and on.....
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

Down here in TN, I'd:
Make sure the south loop of TN 840 is finished.
Widen I-65 to 6 or 8 lanes between Saturn Parkway (Exit 53) and the current end of 8 lane at TN 96 (Exit 65)

In my home state of PA:
Add the following direct connections to the PA Turnpike: (from west to east)
1) with PA 28 freeway near Exit 48 in greater Pittsburgh
2) with US 219 east of Donegal Exit 110
3) with US 220/I-99 near Bedford Exit 146
4) BREEZWOOD!  (And, I'd do it where I-70 crosses the current Turnpike mainline!)
5) with I-81 east of Carlisle Exit 226
6) make sure I-95 interchange is completed with I-276

On the Northeast Extension:
1) Connection with I-80 (without the stoplight at PA 940!)
2) One or two connections with I-81 between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

ctsignguy

Quote from: mightyace on February 17, 2009, 04:53:32 PM
In my home state of PA:
Add the following direct connections to the PA Turnpike: (from west to east)
4) BREEZWOOD!  (And, I'd do it where I-70 crosses the current Turnpike mainline!)

wont happen....the idea has been floated a few times and each time it shows up, the businesses on US 30 raise a stink about the loss of business if 70 was direct-linked instead of dead-ended on US 30 (and in THIS economy, that cant be a minor consideration)

As for Ohio, i think the biggest item highway-wise here is simply fixing all the roads and replace the older bridges...if money is left, look at extending I-74 east from Cincinnati towards North Carolina..
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

vdeane

I think someone should just tell those businesses to suck it up and deal with it.  This is the ultimate example of local self-interest taking priority over the interests of everyone else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Hey, I know that a Breezwood rebuild is unlikely to happen anytime soon, but I was just dreaming.  I don't think anyone with any pull would listen to my other suggestions either!  :banghead:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Freewayjim

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 15, 2009, 12:29:12 PM
1) Reconstruct the I-285/SR 400 interchange, in Sandy Springs, GA
2) Construct a direct connection between SR 400 South and I-85 North, and I-85 South and SR 400
3) Construct a direct connection between I-985 South and I-85 North, and I-85 South and I-985 North
4) Reconstruct SR 166 altogether, the whole freeway is outdated
5) Repave several streets within the City of Atlanta
6) Four lane SR 314 (W. Fayetteville Rd.), from SR 139 (Riverdale Rd.) and SR 279 (the route south of SR 279 to SR 85 is four lanes)

That's a short list.

Be well,

Bryant

I agree with all of those!

I'd add....

1) Implement a C/D lane network (3-4-4-3) along the entire length of I-285, the Airport Runway Tunnel and New Memorial Drive Interchange have been built with this in mind.

2) Extend I-85 C/D lanes south to I-285 and north to I-985

3) Install lights on I-85 in Dekalb County

4) Add missing ramps at the I-85/GA-400 interchange

5) Widen I-85 to 6 Lanes from Mile 115 to the SC Border

6) Implement C/D lanes on I-75 from I-575 to I-285

7) Widen I-75 South of I-675 to 8 lanes to Mile 218.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

Freewayjim

Stimulus Part II

If I were writing that bill I would see to it that the city of Pittsburgh got $25 Billion to totally rebuild the freeway system with Cable Stayed Bridges and 6-8 lane Tunnels connecting the parkways downtown. Renovate the current above ground parkways in to downtown access ramps only with the main freeways and connecting ramps underground.

I-376 would be 8-10 lanes for the most part from the Turnpike to the Airport (Parkway West has been resigned from I-279 to I-376 has it not?)

I would also extend I-579 to cross a new Cable Stayed Liberty Bridge and bore two more 2-lane tunnels at the liberty tunnel.

Extend PA-28 Freeway to I-279/I-579 interchange

Convert PA-65 Ohio River Boulevard to a freeway from the West End  bridge to the McKees Rocks bridge.

This would give the Big Dig a run for it's money!
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

ComputerGuy

Expanding on corcoro's Washington plan:

Upgrade US 12 from SR 8 to I-82, redesignate as I-382?
Complete US 395 freeway from Pasco to Ritzville
US 395 Spokane bypass
Freeway from Lewiston, ID to Clarkston, Colfax, Pullman to Spokane and then north to Sandpoint, ID (I-9?)
Upgrade SR 532 from I-5 to Camano as 4-lane expressway with Stanwood bypass
Upgrade former SR 530 (Pioneer Highway) from I-5 to Stanwood, four-lanes, redesignate as Sr 530

leifvanderwall

In Michigan, I would use the Stimulus Funding to reconstruct I-94 from M-51 (exit 56) and Coloma exit 39 and I-196 from I-94 to South Haven, Mi.

I really don't think the masterminds of the stimulus really know where to put the money. For example, VP Biden visited Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo this past summer with a big announcement: "We're going to make I-94 3-lanes from the 12th bridge to Westnedge." Well that's just great! But, 30 miles west from where Biden was speaking, I-94 is falling apart. It would have more appropiate for Biden to be at Hartford High School speaking "We're going to fix 94 from Lawrence to Watervilet!" That stretch is getting very bad especially going westbound 'tween exits 52 and 46 where there is a long line of potholes on the left side.

For the past three years, MDOT has spent millions on millions of dollars fixing I-94 in Kalamazoo: New bridge at Lovers Lane, US 131 interchange being rebuilt, and the pavement on both the east & westbounds being reconstructed. And that was before the stimulus package was announced by Obama in the beginning of his Presidential term. I think our top officials need to be more knowledgable where the funds really do need to be appropiated.

flowmotion

^ We have a similar situation in the SF Bay Area, where many of the most pressing projects have been locally funded, leaving a much shorter list of "shovel-ready" projects. It would have been great to have federal money for stuff like the fourth bore of the Cadecott Tunnel on CA-24.

At the top of my list of local complaints:

• CA-99 upgrade to Interstate standards
  • I-5 should be six lanes minimum between Redding and the grapevine (almost the entire state)
  • CA-152 full freeway between Gilroy and I-5 near Los Banos, with large land rights purchases to prevent sprawl
  • US-101 modern 4 lane freeway between Gilroy and Salinas
  • US-101 modern 6 lane freeway between Petaluma and Santa Rosa
  • Full freeway connection between CA-84 Dumbarton Bridge and US-101
  • Complete CA-4 "Bypass" from Brentwood to Tracy
Of course, many of these projects are either in NIMBY-hell or aren't even on the books in the first place.

PAHighways

Quote from: Freewayjim on February 20, 2009, 01:51:54 PMIf I were writing that bill I would see to it that the city of Pittsburgh got $25 Billion to totally rebuild the freeway system with Cable Stayed Bridges and 6-8 lane Tunnels connecting the parkways downtown. Renovate the current above ground parkways in to downtown access ramps only with the main freeways and connecting ramps underground.

I-376 would be 8-10 lanes for the most part from the Turnpike to the Airport (Parkway West has been resigned from I-279 to I-376 has it not?)

I think most of that $25 billion would end up going to buying up property along the corridor from Churchill to the Boulevard of the Allies/Liberty Bridge interchange.  The Parkway West officially became I-376 back in July.

Keeping in the Pittsburgh area:  finish PA Turnpike 43 and 576.

agentsteel53

Quote from: flowmotion on September 23, 2009, 03:49:10 PM

• US-101 modern 6 lane freeway between Petaluma and Santa Rosa

I do not know why the traffic there is that bad, but it is certainly bad.  The other day I was driving it and traffic came to a complete and sudden stop and I found myself eating median dirt as the car in front of me rear-ended the car in front of it.  Oops!

I'd also build a CA-12 freeway as a bypass of Sonoma, Napa, and the other wine-country towns, as a relatively straight shot from Santa Rosa to I-80.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.