News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What would you do with the stimulus?

Started by Darkchylde, February 14, 2009, 05:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

In the Detroit Area, here's what I'd use the stimulus money on...

• Extend the M-59 freeway all the way to I-94
  • Obtain more land and rebuild I-94 in the City of Detroit to 6 full lanes, so it's up to interstate standards, and doesn't flood everytime it rains
  • Rebuild 90% of all the Main roads in the City of Detroit and widen them to 3 or 5 lane roads, prohibit parking on most main streets, and increase speed limits by 10
[lil]Rebuild the M-153/Ford Road and the 8 Mile Road interchanges at I-275[/li]
[/list]

wytout

Here in CT, I'd finish CT-11, finally after all these years.  The project was fast-tracked 8 years ago, and still nothing of any REAL importance has happened (aka only stuff on paper, nothing requiring the use of heavy equipment).  That is one road the really needs to be finished once and for all, and the sooner the better.

Aside from that... maybe dangle a few hundred million in front of RI's eyes, and see if we could convince them to allow the paving over of the Scituate Reservoir, finally creating the Interstate link between Hartford and Provience that died so many years ago. (I don't want to seem insensitive to any ecosystems or environmentally unfriendly, but C'MON.  This COULD have been done with at least one of the alternates discussed way back then.  RI was just stubborn). How rediculous is it that there is no interstate link between these two neighboring small-state capitals?  Sure you can get between the two using all expressways, but it takes an awful long time and couldn't BE further out of the way.
-Chris

froggie

Well when you think about it, completing CT 11 would take care of your second issue, while only adding about 25 miles over using US 6.

BigMattFromTexas

Spend it on duct tape and tacos!!
BigMatt

wytout

QuoteWell when you think about it, completing CT 11 would take care of your second issue, while only adding about 25 miles over using US 6.

Oh man 6 through CT is an awful way to go anyway, that's extra mileage itself.  The direct route being 44 to 101 to 6 near Providence.  I understand your point about RT 11 taking care of my Hartford/Providence issue, but it stems my selfishness of wanting to get to the Cape as quick as possible.  I-84's intended alignment to Providence back in the day would have created a straight line to the Cape, 84 to 195.  Ah well, that's lots of old news anyways, heheh.
-Chris

Scott5114

Quote from: BigMatt on September 23, 2009, 08:04:04 PM
BigMatt

I see you've been hanging out at the Oklahoma DOT District 8 offices.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

flowmotion

QuoteI'd also build a CA-12 freeway as a bypass of Sonoma, Napa, and the other wine-country towns, as a relatively straight shot from Santa Rosa to I-80.
That might be a little too fantastical for the stimulus bill.  ;-)

I would love to see CA-37 four-laned, but sensitive wetlands and all.

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 23, 2009, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on September 23, 2009, 08:04:04 PM
BigMatt

I see you've been hanging out at the Oklahoma DOT District 8 offices.
That seems to be a new way to fix BGS's :-D

Snappyjack

I would widen the NY Thruway to 6 lanes the whole way(with 8 lanes in the spots where there are already 6(especially from Albany to NYC))

Replace all outdated bridges.

Build new highways in areas that most need them(to ease congestion, etc).

Change from sequential to mileage based exit numbering.

froggie

Seems to me that the stimulus would have been an *EXCELLENT* opportunity for New York to convert over to mileage-based exit numbering.

leifvanderwall

I think it would be nearly impossible to convert M-59 from M-53 to I-94 to freeway standards especially with all the strip malls and shopping centers unless you want to move M-59 somewhere else.

Mr_Northside

QuoteExtend PA-28 Freeway to I-279/I-579 interchange
This is something that needs done with whatever money they can find. (Though I do believe so far stimulus monies are being used for preliminary work.)

QuoteConvert PA-65 Ohio River Boulevard to a freeway from the West End  bridge to the McKees Rocks bridge.
It pretty much is.  The actual intersection @ the bridge is at-grade, but once you get thru it, it's essentially a freeway all the way to downtown.

QuoteKeeping in the Pittsburgh area:  finish PA Turnpike 43 and 576.
Agreed.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.