News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

When did RMN jump the shark?

Started by Bickendan, July 17, 2012, 04:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Seems to me that RMN used to be a decent mapmaker, putting out quality atlases and maps.
Something happened along the way, and their maps just aren't on par with what they used to be. What caused this and when did this happen?

For example, when RMN bought out Thomas Bros, the Thomas Guide began a death spiral as RMN's symbology edged in. The last edition -- three years ago! -- of the Portland and Seattle Thomas Guides reverted to Thomas Bros, though the highway shields and fonts remain RMN.

SSOWorld

I think when they started releasing atlas for the following year 5 months after the new year of the previous year
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

Nature of the beast, and that beast is dying.  It was mentioned in another thread that paper map usage is *WAY DOWN* over recent years.  The argument is probably being made about why bothering putting resources and effort into what is effectively a dying (or at best, now a niche) industry?

agentsteel53

1926, when they stopped labeling trails in favor of those new-fangled federal routes with the numbers.

(oh Scott N, where are you?)

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Bickendan on July 17, 2012, 04:55:38 AM
Seems to me that RMN used to be a decent mapmaker, putting out quality atlases and maps.
Something happened along the way, and their maps just aren't on par with what they used to be. What caused this and when did this happen?

RMcN maps (or at least the USA atlases) from as far back as the 1960s tend toward sloppy cartography and loss of detail. It was around that time from all appearances that they began to slip. Gousha maps from the period are far superior IMO.

flowmotion

Scott5114

I wager that RMcN has probably always been some degree of crap, as others have noted. It is just that now with the Internet we can find out the mistakes more easily, and share them with those who otherwise wouldn't know. (There's an error on the CT map? How would I have known that?)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

I don't think they have.  Their cartography is beautiful.  Their only problem is that they have lots of out of date or flat out wrong data.  I don't even mind for the 2013 atlas coming out in early 2012, even though it is silly.  If they would give me 6 weeks to correct errors, their atlas would be great again.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on July 20, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
Their cartography is beautiful.  Their only problem is that they have lots of out of date or flat out wrong data.

That's jumping the shark. The best cartography can't save bad data. If you take a shitty poem and write it in beautiful, flowing calligraphy it's still a shitty poem.

bugo

It's not that the atlas is mostly errors.  I'd say over 99 percent of the maps are correct.  We just notice the errors more than the average person.

Scott5114

That's true, but when you run into an error you have to think "what else might be wrong that I don't know about?"

I also have some issues with their cartography choices but that's probably a matter of personal taste.

empirestate

Quote from: bugo on July 20, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
It's not that the atlas is mostly errors.  I'd say over 99 percent of the maps are correct.  We just notice the errors more than the average person.

That's true, but we probably also know more about the other options. As a committed Maphead myself, I've looked a lot of road atlases, and RMcN is pretty near the bottom both for accuracy and cartography. By far the most accurate I've seen is the hard-to-find MapArt North America atlas, but it has issues with varying carto style and does some strange things with scale. As an overall product, the National Geographic road atlases, and I own all two editions ever produced, have been my favorite.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2012, 05:20:07 PM

That's jumping the shark. The best cartography can't save bad data. If you take a shitty poem and write it in beautiful, flowing calligraphy it's still a shitty poem.
Roses are red, fuck you

Bickendan

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 08:53:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2012, 05:20:07 PM

Roses are red, fuck you
Wrong font.

NE2

Quote from: empirestate on July 20, 2012, 08:03:31 PM
As an overall product, the National Geographic road atlases, and I own all two editions ever produced, have been my favorite.
The ones with MapQuest cartography, or did they make their own?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on July 20, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 20, 2012, 08:03:31 PM
As an overall product, the National Geographic road atlases, and I own all two editions ever produced, have been my favorite.
The ones with MapQuest cartography, or did they make their own?

MapQuest. You see their carto elsewhere as well, but it never seems to pop quite as well as in the NG.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.