News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When Lanes Reduce: Which Maneuver is Safer?

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, July 23, 2012, 04:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Or you could just follow the tactic described in today's Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post: (boldface in original)

Quote....

Tempers in traffic

Dear Dr. Gridlock:

Todd Schwartz of Stafford mentioned the "zipper"  approach to merging [Dr. Gridlock, July 12]. Years ago, while traveling toward the District on Glebe Road in Arlington, I witnessed an amazing sight: One car at the yield and not yielding, and one car on Glebe. Neither wished to compromise, so they proceeded to butt up against each other, smashing passenger side door to driver side door for a good 25 feet.

It was a sight to see. Nobody got out of his car – no fistfight occurred, no guns were discharged in the process. Seems like neither wanted to "zipper"  their temper.

Bob Perrino, Arlington County

DG:
If you're like me, you read this account and wondered how two drivers could be so stupid, risking so much over lane space.

Then you think about what it's like to be the driver who is in the right as it becomes clear the other driver is going to be a jerk. If you can recall the sense of righteousness you felt at that moment, then – unfortunately – the scene becomes less weird.

You could take the advice that traffic engineers give me: Taking turns at a merge and obeying yield signs are very important, but the decisive factor in easing congestion is the smoothness of the merge rather than the order of the cars.

Or you just could follow the advice I got from another driver, applying C3PO's survival strategy to earthly confrontations: "Let the Wookiee win."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

I will generally let people in to "zipper".  my only exception is if someone is overtly driving quickly past people and attempting to get in at the last second.  at that point - good luck.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.