News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

When did most Interstate shields get "neutered"?

Started by OCGuy81, April 21, 2013, 12:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2013, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: realjd on May 03, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
A better question is, why did states start neutering shields?

because they deemed anything but the number to be superfluous information.

(except the word Interstate - that is crazy sacred.)

As I recall, one of the "official" FHWA reasons for shield neutering was to allow the use of larger numbers and, thus, greater legibility, particularly on overhead BGS panels.

Your comment about "Interstate" reminds me of the neutered shield that used to be on one of the BGSes at the I-93 NB/I-89 NB split in Bow NH.  Riding under it one day (my sister was driving), I happened to glance up and noticed the banner.  It read "Insterstate".

Wasn't able to get back up there to take a picture for about a month.  By that time, the shield had been replaced with a correct one.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.