News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Michael on March 28, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
A few nights ago, I came across this sign on US 15 northbound at the NY border.  What's the point of making radar detectors illegal for just bigger vehicles?  I couldn't find anything about the law on Google.
As far as I understand:
- radio transmissions are tightly regulated. Bands, frequencies, powers, all that.
-reception of any transmission for legal personal purposes is legal. It comes from Supreme Court decision during WWII when the government tried to block or prohibit German propaganda, and Supreme Court said it is a freedom of speech issue
-reception for illegal purposes is illegal; you cannot listen to police frequency and make sure no officers are nearby to do something bad. Not sure how it works, most likely if you're charged with that bad thing, and they can prove you used radio for that - it is another count.
-When you're driving for work - that is, you need a CDL to do what you do, etc - you're no longer just a private person using constitutional rights. It is much more regulated. I would assume it is difficult to draw a line - e.g. contractors may drive the same pickup truck to the customer and to the grocery store; so it is weight limit.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.

J N Winkler

The case of Virginia--where use of radar detectors is banned for all drivers, not just commercial vehicle drivers--suggests that there is a way around the constitutional right to receive radio transmissions, probably by classifying the detectors themselves as tools of criminal facilitation (analogous to the doctrine that allows the police to arrest you for carrying burglar's tools).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

storm2k

Looking at that I-99 GSV, it looks like NYSDOT converted that roadway to mileage based exits? Is this just one of those fits and starts things depending on region?

Michael

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 28, 2019, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: Michael on March 28, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
A few nights ago, I came across this sign on US 15 northbound at the NY border.  What's the point of making radar detectors illegal for just bigger vehicles?  I couldn't find anything about the law on Google.

I noticed THIS sign on G.S.V. which was close to yours: https://goo.gl/maps/umm5qb5U6KM2

Now I hope that it happened to be the day the newer blue sign had gone up!  :-D

I noticed that too, but I wasn't sure what thread it would best fit in, so I didn't post it.

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2019, 08:23:08 AM
Hey, thanks for posting that! I've been waiting for years for Street View to drive the new segment of I-99 -- I used to check every so often but hadn't in ages.

I've been anxiously waiting and checking every so often too!  I think I might have looked at the updated Street View once before within the past few months, but I can't remember for sure.

vdeane

Quote from: storm2k on March 29, 2019, 08:02:06 PM
Looking at that I-99 GSV, it looks like NYSDOT converted that roadway to mileage based exits? Is this just one of those fits and starts things depending on region?
I heard from someone that it was required so the road could be designated/signed as I-99.

The Taconic has also added mile-based numbers and I-84 is converting this year.  As for if/when anything else will convert, who knows.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2019, 09:03:35 PM
I heard from someone that it was required so the road could be designated/signed as I-99.

The Taconic has also added mile-based numbers and I-84 is converting this year.  As for if/when anything else will convert, who knows.

(personal opinion)

Is this really recent? Google Maps still shows sequential exits on the map itself.

vdeane

Quote from: storm2k on March 29, 2019, 09:08:15 PM

(personal opinion)

Is this really recent? Google Maps still shows sequential exits on the map itself.
I-84 has not yet begun to convert.  Sign plans were released a few months ago.

US 15/I-99 converted at least five years ago.  Why Google still has exit 11 as exit 3, I have no idea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

(personal opinion)

I'm still thinking the next Interstate New York will see convert to mileage based interchanges will be I-81. Talking with Region 3 a couple of years ago, they said that whatever the outcome of I-81 reconstruction through Syracuse will require a renumbering of exits, and it will be coordinated with all three regions involved to renumber the exits in tandem with that project.

Honestly, I'm surprised I-88 hasn't been renumbered yet. The vast majority of it is in Region 9 and it seems like R9 should be able to handle that, with R1 renumbering their handful of interchanges along that roadway.

vdeane

Who knows if/when that will actually begin construction, though.

roadman65

https://www.truckersnews.com/i-84-exit-numbers-changing-in-new-york/
It looks like I-84 is beating I-81 out as they are getting the new numbers as we speak.  Someone said Rand McNally got them in the next edition already.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

If the New York Thruway ever gets mileage-based exits, no matter which direction the exits increase, the exit sequence along the NYT and the Major Deegan Expressway should be continuous. If the exit sequence starts at the Pennsylvania border, the MDE's exits should continue the numbering of the NYT, and/or vice versa.

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2019, 09:40:18 PM
It looks like I-84 is beating I-81 out as they are getting the new numbers as we speak.  Someone said Rand McNally got them in the next edition already.

Yeah, we've known about this for a while. Plans were posted about a year ago and it was known internally well before that. I-84 was the first large-scale conversion because it's entirely within a single region.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2019, 01:49:26 PM
If the New York Thruway ever gets mileage-based exits, no matter which direction the exits increase, the exit sequence along the NYT and the Major Deegan Expressway should be continuous. If the exit sequence starts at the Pennsylvania border, the MDE's exits should continue the numbering of the NYT, and/or vice versa.

Any new exit numbers will likely be distinct for I-87 and I-90. FHWA does NOT like the idea of one route's numbers decreasing as one heads north/east. They have also made it clear that they want I-87 and I-90 to each have one set of numbers in the state instead of three.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on May 01, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2019, 09:40:18 PM

Yeah, we've known about this for a while. Plans were posted about a year ago and it was known internally well before that. I-84 was the first large-scale conversion because it's entirely within a single region.

Any new exit numbers will likely be distinct for I-87 and I-90. FHWA does NOT like the idea of one route's numbers decreasing as one heads north/east. They have also made it clear that they want I-87 and I-90 to each have one set of numbers in the state instead of three.
I wonder if they would feel better if the map was mirrored, and there could be a continuous increase going south->north->east?
Purely hypothetical question, though

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on May 01, 2019, 02:21:52 PM

There will be a lot less confusion surrounding the issue of changing the Thruway's exit numbers once the ticket system is no longer.
At one point, AET was supposed to be implemented by the end of 2020, but who knows if it will materialize. In any case, it wouldn't shock me if we hear exit numbers are changing once AET is in place.

cl94

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2019, 02:29:22 PM
At one point, AET was supposed to be implemented by the end of 2020, but who knows if it will materialize. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we hear exit numbers are changing once AET is in place.

It's gonna happen. Some of the infrastructure is already in place. Minor exits will simply involve mounting equipment in existing booths, as has been done in PA. Exit 22 is ready to go (GSV caught them installing equipment last summer). They've started moving long-term employees from toll booths to other positions.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on May 01, 2019, 02:37:52 PM
It's gonna happen. Some of the infrastructure is already in place. Minor exits will simply involve mounting equipment in existing booths, as has been done in PA. Exit 22 is ready to go (GSV caught them installing equipment last summer).

Interesting; so they may not even bother with removing the booths. Not exactly how I thought it would be implemented, but I guess it works!

froggie

^ Removing booths may be a future endeavor.  Look at the Mass Pike for an example...those booths didn't exactly come down in a day once they switched their AET on.

Rothman

Ugh, and at West Stockbridge, a lower work zone speed limit sat there much longer than necessary.

Might even still be there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2019, 10:13:25 PM
Ugh, and at West Stockbridge, a lower work zone speed limit sat there much longer than necessary.

I was through a little less than a month ago and the work zone limit was finally gone. Only took 2+ years.

RobbieL2415

By statute it isn't enforceable unless people are there working.  This isn't MD.

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2019, 10:11:54 PM
^ Removing booths may be a future endeavor.  Look at the Mass Pike for an example...those booths didn't exactly come down in a day once they switched their AET on.
Unlike Masspike, where equipment is away from booths, image above shows cameras on booth island. So even if building itself is gone, road layout with split into individual lanes separated by islands and associated requirement to slow way down will stay

seicer

It's probably for cost savings and to expedite the project for now. I can't imagine why they would leave the booths - a liability.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 02, 2019, 12:38:24 AM

By statute it isn't enforceable unless people are there working.  This isn't MD.
Not sure if that is true in MA and I wouldn't put it past a Statie to think otherwise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2019, 10:11:54 PM
Let's hope, but at least with the MassPike demolition started very shortly before conversion, and it was known it would well before then.  With this, we have no way of knowing if eventual demolition is in the plans, and if it is, I'm guessing it's on a longer timespan because they put the equipment in the booths themselves instead of erecting a gantry.

roadman65

I do not see now why they just don't convert the old trumpet T or trumpet to trumpets as diamonds or even SPUI set ups as now without the tickets the present interchanges serve no purpose.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.