News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbz77

Quote from: andy3175 on July 10, 2022, 10:15:27 PM
Noticed several new SR 58 signs today at the Stockdale Highway interchange with Interstate 5. I didn't get pictures as I didn't realize there would be any there. No 58 shields on 5 itself but I could see several 58 signs on Stockdale Highway.
So it seems that there will be a short concurrency along I-5 between Stockdale hwy and westbound SR 58.

andy3175

Quote from: dbz77 on July 10, 2022, 11:27:17 PM
Noticed several new SR 58 signs today at the Stockdale Highway interchange with Interstate 5. I didn't get pictures as I didn't realize there would be any there. No 58 shields on 5 itself but I could see several 58 signs on Stockdale Highway.
So it seems that there will be a short concurrency along I-5 between Stockdale hwy and westbound SR 58.
Yes. Based on what I saw, there was a small guide sign pointing to the continuation of SR 58 west by following I-5 north to the current alignment of the state highway. That said, 58 is also signed on its original alignment, but I suspect this situation will be temporary.

SM-S908U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

The Ghostbuster

When the Westside Parkway opens between Truxtun Ave. and the CA 99 freeway, what will the individual exits be numbered?

NE2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2022, 12:50:53 PM
When the Westside Parkway opens between Truxtun Ave. and the CA 99 freeway, what will the individual exits be numbered?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on July 11, 2022, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2022, 12:50:53 PM

Almost certainly based on the relocated CA 58's mileage from its west end at US 101. Since it's about 86 miles on CA 58 from US 101 to I-5, 69 would be too low. Probably in the 100-110 range, based on the assignment of 111 to CA 58's first exit east of CA 99.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Concrete Bob

Per Google Maps, On Route 58 West, the exit(s) to Route 99 are Exit 110(A) for 99 North and 110(B) for 99 South. 

brad2971

Thanks be given to Google Street View for an updated look at the signage just off the freeway ramp at Stockdale Hwy: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3548899,-119.3337418,3a,37.5y,116.48h,90.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1PpcwYofqoj07jm0EaQB5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Even more interesting: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3548773,-119.3312848,3a,37.5y,313.53h,91.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skyWdTgSjyV-FgJy_mCBD-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BTW, with all those new homes/apartments at Stockdale River Ranch at the end of the current Westside Pkwy, Caltrans D6 and Kern County (with likely assistance from Kevin McCarthy and USDOT) are going to have to get the EA/PEL going on the extension to I-5 fairly quickly.

ClassicHasClass

Interesting. Guess they're going to multiplex 58 over I-5 back to the old alignment.

oscar

^ That's what I expect, once the Centennial Corridor is finished (hopefully next year) to fill the gap between the Westside Pkwy and CA 58 east of CA 99.

Max Rockatansky

Stockdale Highway now appears in the Caltrans Postmile Tool as approximately KER R33.00 to KER R44.00.  Interestingly none of Rosedale Highway appears as CA 58 also. 

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 02, 2022, 07:57:44 AM
Stockdale Highway now appears in the Caltrans Postmile Tool as approximately KER R33.00 to KER R44.00.  Interestingly none of Rosedale Highway appears as CA 58 also. 

Except the part east of Mohawk St.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on August 02, 2022, 08:14:35 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 02, 2022, 07:57:44 AM

Except the part east of Mohawk St.

Correct, that measurement I gave is approximately I-5 to the West Side Parkway. 

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know why there will be no new exits along the Westside Parkway between Truxtun Ave. and CA 99?

jdbx

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 02, 2022, 07:01:22 PM
Does anyone know why there will be no new exits along the Westside Parkway between Truxtun Ave. and CA 99?

My guess for the reason is that it's less than 2 miles between Truxton and CA 99, and if you include ramps at both interchanges, you're looking at barely more than a mile.  Short-spaced exits create weaving conflicts and congestion, especially when adjacent to a freeway-to-freeway interchange.

skluth

Quote from: jdbx on August 03, 2022, 12:17:43 PM

My guess for the reason is that it's less than 2 miles between Truxton and CA 99, and if you include ramps at both interchanges, you're looking at barely more than a mile.  Short-spaced exits create weaving conflicts and congestion, especially when adjacent to a freeway-to-freeway interchange.

Ghostbuster should know better if he's in Madison. I lived there four years in the late 70s. The Beltline, which has a bunch of too-close exits, is basically a land-locked mess between Verona Road and John Nolan Drive, especially east of the Arboretum. Even with updates and widening, it was still a mess last time I went through there (about five years ago).

The Ghostbuster

I concede that the Beltline here in Madison has a lot of closely spaced exits. Unfortunately, the area around the Beltline is so built-up it is nearly impossible to make any improvements without widespread condemning of homes and businesses. If right-of-way wasn't an issue, I'd add collector-distributor lanes and braided ramps to some interchanges, and definitely more grade-seperations between interchanges. I'm not a huge proponent of the new flex lanes, but given the limited right-of-way, there were few alternative options.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: oscar on August 02, 2022, 01:16:01 AM
^ That's what I expect, once the Centennial Corridor is finished (hopefully next year) to fill the gap between the Westside Pkwy and CA 58 east of CA 99.

Did you mean west of CA 99?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: jdbx on August 03, 2022, 12:17:43 PM

I'd also assume it's a mitigation measure for running it through a residential neighborhood.  Plus given the residential neighborhood and the resultant lack of projected ADT for potential interchanges other than California Ave and Real Road, and the availability of alternate routes to California Ave, it wasn't worth the bother.

pderocco

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 03, 2022, 11:07:40 PM

The "gap" is what is being filled in by the current construction between the Westside Pkwy and the existing portion of CA-58 east of CA-99.

I wonder if they're going to call it part of the Westside Pkwy. But since it's all full freeway, it makes me wonder why they call any of it a parkway.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: pderocco on August 04, 2022, 02:28:00 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 03, 2022, 11:07:40 PM

The "gap" is what is being filled in by the current construction between the Westside Pkwy and the existing portion of CA-58 east of CA-99.

Ah, I parsed it as the gap is east of CA 99 and not the existing portion.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jtespi

Quote from: mrsman on February 21, 2022, 12:13:18 PM
But what is upsetting, especially to those of us who hope to see the Westside Parkway extended to I-5 as a freeway (as CA-58 and with a total pipedream as I-40) is that Caltrans has now put up a recent roundabout (in 2019 or 2020 based on GSV images) at the intersection of Stockdale/CA-43.  Certainly, there is enough traffic here now to merit better control than the old 4-way stop, but does building a roundabout mean that we will never see a grade-separated interchange here with a Westside Parkway extension taking over for Stockdale Hwy?  If grade separation were on the horizon, Caltrans would likely not put up a roundabout here.

I wonder if CalTrans eventually makes the Stockdale Hwy (CA-58) a full freeway, could they just do something similar to what KDOT did with I-35 in Emporia, Kansas?
KDOT made the freeway go over the roundabout to create a nice compact interchange. It uses a lot less space than a dumbbell interchange (2 roundabouts at the end of a normal diamond).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jtespi on August 09, 2022, 05:21:47 AM
Quote from: mrsman on February 21, 2022, 12:13:18 PM
But what is upsetting, especially to those of us who hope to see the Westside Parkway extended to I-5 as a freeway (as CA-58 and with a total pipedream as I-40) is that Caltrans has now put up a recent roundabout (in 2019 or 2020 based on GSV images) at the intersection of Stockdale/CA-43.  Certainly, there is enough traffic here now to merit better control than the old 4-way stop, but does building a roundabout mean that we will never see a grade-separated interchange here with a Westside Parkway extension taking over for Stockdale Hwy?  If grade separation were on the horizon, Caltrans would likely not put up a roundabout here.

I wonder if CalTrans eventually makes the Stockdale Hwy (CA-58) a full freeway, could they just do something similar to what KDOT did with I-35 in Emporia, Kansas?
KDOT made the freeway go over the roundabout to create a nice compact interchange. It uses a lot less space than a dumbbell interchange (2 roundabouts at the end of a normal diamond).

CA 204 and Garces Traffic Circle exist in Bakersfield if you want an ancient example nearby to CA 58.

Occidental Tourist

I believe they're planning to align a freeway routing of 58 from the current end of Westside Parkway to I-5 on an alignment south of Stockdale Highway.  The question is whether they'll ever need it or if it will get cancelled before it gets built.

cahwyguy

Related to all of these. Seen today while gathering headlines: https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/southbound-hwy-99s-stockdale-hwy-exit-to-be-closed-permanently

The southbound Highway 99 to Stockdale Highway off-ramp will be closed permanently on Thursday, August 11, according to the City of Bakersfield.

The closure is set to begin at 8 p.m.

Drivers heading south will need to use the 99 off-ramps at California Avenue or White Lane said the city.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

jdbx

Quote from: cahwyguy on August 10, 2022, 12:35:53 PM
Related to all of these. Seen today while gathering headlines: https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/southbound-hwy-99s-stockdale-hwy-exit-to-be-closed-permanently

The southbound Highway 99 to Stockdale Highway off-ramp will be closed permanently on Thursday, August 11, according to the City of Bakersfield.

The closure is set to begin at 8 p.m.

Drivers heading south will need to use the 99 off-ramps at California Avenue or White Lane said the city.

Probably to allow for the construction of the interchange between 99, existing CA-58 and the Westside Parkway

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.