News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Am i the only one who despises the TXDot's road system?

Started by ColossalBlocks, March 23, 2017, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2021, 07:45:13 PM
Are there any freeway mainlines that actually have status as FM or RM roads (as opposed to frontage roads being classified as FM or RM, as with Westheimer Road/FM 1093 and the Westpark Tollway)?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14151.msg2564993#msg2564993 addresses this.

Yep, the Emmett F. Lowry Freeway in Texas City.  Still labeled as FM-1764 a decade later.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on January 31, 2021, 10:15:27 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2021, 07:45:13 PM
Are there any freeway mainlines that actually have status as FM or RM roads (as opposed to frontage roads being classified as FM or RM, as with Westheimer Road/FM 1093 and the Westpark Tollway)?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14151.msg2564993#msg2564993 addresses this.

Yep, the Emmett F. Lowry Freeway in Texas City.  Still labeled as FM-1764 a decade later.

Define freeway.  Years before SH-45 came to Austin/Cedar Park, the Parmer, FM-620 was a 100% freeway intersection with frontage roads.  FM-620 in that stretch was a freeway for about a mile, not hardly a major freeway or anything, but it did have it.  When SH-45 (toll) was built basically on top of the existing freeway section, they had to make that intersection free of toll.  That's why there is one lane east and one lane west separated by jersey barrier that goes under Parmer Lane.  by law since it was a freeway intersection before the toll way, they had to make that intersection have a free bypass. 

achilles765

Quote from: roadman65 on January 26, 2021, 06:52:54 PM
What I do not like about Texas is the fact that US 77 and US 67 are poorly signed along the interstates in the DFW area.  Plus US 90 is another one in Greater Houston where the Katy Freeway took over the old US 90 arterial.

In San Antonio you have US 87, US 90, and 281 all signed greatly there and the companion routes for I-27 in the Panhandle, but in those areas it is not at all signed.

I know CO and NM as well as AR does it, but its all over! In Texas its in different areas of the state just as traffic signals vary in that state in installations (horizontal to vertical, black to yellow colors, and even two red arrows to one red arrow left turn signals).  I usually like a line drawn for consistency in areas even in Florida as lately each county is now using its own method of signalizing intersections as before all the state pretty much used concrete strain poles and span wire installations except in downtown areas of the big cities, is a little annoying.
I go back and forth on this issue myself. San
Antonio has way too much on some of those signs. If a person is autistic and one of their little interests/tics/ stimming habits is to read the big green signs aloud, it can get intense. Totally hypothetical situation. Not something I have to do to not feel like the world is going to stop.
But I also kind of agree with you. Keep the multiplexes fully signed. IH10/US 90 everywhere, IH69/US 59. Hell I say bring back US 75 and slap it on IH 45
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Scott5114

At a few interchanges in Kansas City, KDOT compromises by showing only the main routes on the BGSes, then has all the concurrent routes and where they go displayed on one of the legs of the gantry with conventional-road shields and arrows. Keeps the BGSes nice and orderly for 90% of drivers that want that information, and still keeps the information around for the few that want to follow the concurrent routes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.