News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Fastest-growing suburbs

Started by webny99, June 02, 2017, 10:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Quote from: sparker on November 26, 2018, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: bing101 on November 26, 2018, 08:06:31 AM
Quote from: sparker on June 21, 2017, 01:31:45 AM
At present, the major suburban/exurban expansion in Northern California can be divided into two distinct regions:  the Madera-Turlock-Modesto-Manteca-Stockton-Lodi continuous corridor, and the Eastern Sacramento "arc" from Elk Grove south of the main city around the east side and ending up at the north side of Lincoln.  The former not only serves its own region (the north San Joaquin Valley) but functions to serve the "spillover" from the Bay Area -- particularly instigated by substantially lower initial housing costs.  Besides the main corridor arrayed along CA 99, there is the western branch along CA 120 and I-205 encompassing Lathrop and Tracy -- the latter being the original Valley exurb to experience the commuter crunch as early as the '80's.  The interim towns such as Ripon and Salida have seen outsized growth as well; even new communities (Mountain Home NW of Tracy as an example) have been established to handle the influx.  Right now, the north side of Stockton is about the farthest suburban area efficiently accessible to Bay Area commuters (partially due to the ACE rail commuter service from San Jose to Stockton); Lodi, to the north, is seeing growth not only from spillover from the North Bay (Vallejo, Fairfield, Benicia, etc.) but also as a budding employment center due to its recent growth as a wine-country destination. 

Greater Sacramento has its own growth pattern, primarily arrayed along a reverse-C arc from Elk Grove south of Sacramento itself and extending northeast through Rancho Cordova, Folsom, Citrus Heights/Orangevale, and up through Roseville and Rocklin before curving NW through Lincoln.  The region has become a major distribution area due to its extensive rail network (the major UP hub/yard in Northern California is in Roseville).  Unlike the 70-80 mile single-direction commutes seen by Stockton-area residents working in the Bay Area, the typical commute around Sacramento is about 20-25 miles, as employment tends to be significantly closer to home there than with the Bay/Valley situation (this is also abetted by the large number of state personnel in the area -- in this respect, being the state capital intrinsically involves a multitude of employees). 

If not for the twin watersheds/"bottomlands" of the Consumnes and Mokelumne Rivers (delineating the north end of Lodi and the south side of Elk Grove respectively), each of which have multiple channels and are prone to severe flooding in wet winters, it's likely that the two growth areas would have merged by this time.  Also, that area between Lodi and Galt (about 10 miles apart) is "wine central", extensively planted with vineyards and dotted with wineries, most of which have tourist-oriented tasting rooms; besides the flooding potential, the acreage has become just too costly to convert to housing tracts. 

Despite almost continual criticism regarding "sprawl", housing starts in the Valley have continued almost unabated since the late 1970's; the housing/mortgage crisis of 2007-2011 was something of a "hiccup", but for the past 5 years or so it has become virtually impossible to traverse the area without witnessing more and more homes, condos, and the strip malls and other such amenities that accompany such development being deployed.  And it's all dollar-driven -- cheap (by relative standards) housing located in areas and communities with the proverbial "welcome mat" out; save another significant recession, the trend is more than likely to continue.     

I remember at one point Oakley, Antioch and Brentwood in Contra Costa County were the fastest growing suburbs in the Bay Area due to the Dot Com boom of the 1990's.

And......they're still growing, particularly Brentwood and Oakley.  Antioch itself is a bit too far north and west to be a really viable commute from the South Bay/"Silicon Valley" area, while Vasco Road, despite its Alameda County substandard segment, functions as a "conveyor belt" to and from the Brentwood/Oakley/Discovery Bay area.  That trio of cities has the (mis?)fortune of being positioned as accessible from both the northern portion of the Bay area via CA 4 as well as the slog from the South Bay through Livermore and/or Dublin via I-580, I-680, and CA 84.  Discovery Bay is pretty much built out to its maximum, limited by the Delta on its north and east sides; but there seems to be enough property turnover there (it's far enough east to be a part of Valley summer heat, which has made some Bay transplants turn tail and run after a few hot years) to keep it going as a place to resettle.  Oakley stays relatively cool because of its position as "east Antioch" along the banks of the lower San Joaquin river -- but Brentwood is currently "development central" -- a full-fledged heterogeneous city, with new housing, commercial development, and industrial parks being opened almost constantly.  And home prices there are typically 40% less than over the hill in Fremont or Milpitas, so the differential tends to carry the day for those who would rather stay in a Bay county (Contra Costa) rather than locate in the actual Valley, where about another 15-20% housing cost savings can be realized.   
The I-505 Corridor in Vacaville have some houses under development and its there to respond to both Bay Area and Sacramento Sprawl at the same time.

What about Solano County, CA. I noticed this area is getting both Sacramento area traffic and Bay Area traffic at the same time though because of housing halfway from both places. Also I-80 traffic is at play though due proximity to jobs in both Davis/Sacramento area and Bay Area. I noticed that Dixon, Vacaville and Fairfield have all been mentioned for getting spillovers from both Sacramento and Bay Area because I noticed on some days both directions of I-80 can get jammed at certain hours. I know Dixon, CA at times gets jammed due to Sacramento  and the nearby UC Davis Campus. Also the CA-12, I-80 and I-680 interchange in Fairfield happens to be the busiest interchange halfway from both places

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/projects/solano8068012/
Also this article emphasizes the traffic patterns of Solano County specifically at the Cordelia interchange.
http://www.sta.ca.gov/Content/10081/InterstateHighwayProjects.html

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/solano-news/solano-county/fairfield-suisun-sits-between-bay-valley/  This article does mention how Fairfield and Suisun City are affected by the spillover of both Sacramento and Bay Area characteristics.

https://www.solanocounty.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=22347

See Page 71 of this document Solano County released on its commuter stats.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menifee,_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildomar,_California

Menifee and Wildomar would have to be the fastest growing suburbs in Southern California due to southwest Riverside County having to house both San Diego and Los Angeles commuters at the same time.

jakeroot

The formatting of the above post is...odd...to say the least.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on December 24, 2018, 03:48:22 PM

He says that it's somehow automatic. I've never seen him use color codes before, though. I have never seen anyone use color=rgb(a,b,c) format before (I thought color=#XXXXXX was the only way to specify exact color), so I believe him.

bing101, can you explain what is causing this?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bing101

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2018, 08:24:57 PM

He says that it's somehow automatic. I've never seen him use color codes before, though. I have never seen anyone use color=rgb(a,b,c) format before (I thought color=#XXXXXX was the only way to specify exact color), so I believe him.

I always manually change the font size to 10 everytime I edit my post.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on December 24, 2018, 09:29:55 PM

That doesn't explain color codes or changing the font size to 2.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MantyMadTown

Wow, with all these new suburbs serving Los Angeles and San Diego, traffic must be a nightmare. Not that SoCal traffic isn't already, so I've heard.
Forget the I-41 haters

bing101

Quote from: MantyMadTown on December 26, 2018, 04:31:59 AM
Wow, with all these new suburbs serving Los Angeles and San Diego, traffic must be a nightmare. Not that SoCal traffic isn't already, so I've heard.

I expect these double duty suburbs/exurbs that serve more than 1 census area to get fast growth as the center of cities like San Francisco, San Jose, Washington D.C., Los Angeles , San Diego and other parts of the country simply get too expensive to get a home in the long term.

MantyMadTown

Anyway I hope many of these suburbs that serve these urban areas end up becoming cities in their own right, with reasonable transit connections throughout the region and have actual urban centers that attract new jobs, instead of just staying as sprawly bedroom communities that only exist to serve the center city. On another note, I feel like San Bernardino and Riverside could become new hubs that commuters could travel to instead of just Los Angeles or San Diego.
Forget the I-41 haters

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2018, 09:31:37 PM

And we will never get an explanation. I can't believe he even responded to your inquiry just above.

bing101

Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2018, 10:34:20 AM

And we will never get an explanation. I can't believe he even responded to your inquiry just above.

OK its the settings in the browser I was using at the time where it did auto correct to font size 2.

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on December 28, 2018, 11:47:24 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2018, 10:34:20 AM

OK its the settings in the browser I was using at the time where it did auto correct to font size 2.

What's the browser? Such odd behavior.

Flint1979

The fastest growing in the Detroit area are probably places like Shelby Township, Macomb Township and around there. I was riding around that area about a month or so ago and the sprawl has moved past 26 Mile Road now.

webny99

I maintain that Lakeville, MN, is experiencing one of the largest, if not the largest, housing booms in North America. Seeing is believing.

bing101

Chrome on Windows for me had the auto correct for 2 font for some reason when I clicked.

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on January 01, 2019, 01:27:03 PM
Chrome on Windows for me had the auto correct for 2 font for some reason when I clicked.

I see it again when quoting you. What version of Chrome? Is it a work computer?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 01, 2019, 08:12:13 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 01, 2019, 01:27:03 PM
I see it again when quoting you. What version of Chrome? Is it a work computer?

If he's using Chrome, he's gotta be using some sort of script that automatically adds it to his posts. (Which raises other questions...) There's no other explanation for why it keeps happening.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

At this point, I think a fucking ghost probably is the most likely culprit. Or a script or extension, yes.

MantyMadTown

Let's go back to the original topic, please.
Forget the I-41 haters

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Video by city Beautiful over gated communities.

Scott5114

Just a reminder that unnecessary formatting is discouraged under the site rules. Only change the font size if you're, e.g., making a heading. Otherwise, leave it at the default. (Some people may have their browsers configured to increase the font size and overriding that is discourteous to them.) Setting the font size to 10 because you like to set the font size to 10 is not a necessary use of formatting.

Another reason that's in the forum rules is because of browsers coming up with wacky interpretations and autocorrections of font sizes, colors, etc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

Airdrie, Alberta even if it's a bit far from Calgary and it's more of an exburb instead of a suburb got a big spike in population from the late 1970s to today when we see compare aerial photos from the 1950s to today who was posted on Skyscraperpage.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7216263&postcount=271

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.