News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Honest Question

Started by ParrDa, October 15, 2017, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 20, 2017, 09:19:30 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 20, 2017, 09:12:33 AM
I just want Alanland gone from the forum. I think the original thread should be unlocked. I do like mass quoting, though.

What? :confused: That's a contradictory stance to take.
I am saying I like one part of Alanland, but not the others.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I just want Alanland gone from the forum. I think the original thread should be unlocked. I do like mass quoting, though.

If the Alanland thread gets unlocked, all Alanland discussion will be in that thread instead of spread out through other threads.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2017, 09:21:27 AM

If the Alanland thread gets unlocked, all Alanland discussion will be in that thread instead of spread out through other threads.
Bingo. Also I really want to post in that thread. Edit: I don't hate it, just I hate it spreading.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Hmmm, I doubt that very much. That's certainly not going to stop it from getting mentioned in threads that have crossed the silliness threshold.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 20, 2017, 09:21:04 AM

This statement and your profile signature do not congrue.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 20, 2017, 09:24:58 AM

Hmmm, I doubt that very much. That's certainly not going to stop it from getting mentioned in threads that have crossed the silliness threshold.

I hate all of alanland. But I participate in mass quoting because I know that at that point, it is impossible to get people back on topic.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 20, 2017, 09:32:10 AM

I hate all of alanland. But I participate in mass quoting because I know that at that point, it is impossible to get people back on topic.

Someone got called down for mass quoting recently, didn't they?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 16, 2017, 09:24:51 PMThe question this thread inspires in me is: is there not a middle ground between spending time on the Internet and dealing with everything else? Seems like people here have a dichotomy that either you must devote your life to this hobby and/or forum or "have a real life." No in-between.

I would synthesize others' answers to this by saying that, given the prevalence of ad-supported social media platforms and their reliance on psychological techniques (such as variable-interval reinforcement) to attract eyeball time, there can be a middle ground but most people have to take proactive steps to maintain it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

It's Alanland.  He wants it gone, and yet not gone.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2017, 11:26:05 AM

I feel like there might have been another incident as well, but I know for a fact that mass quoting became a severe problem at the end of this thread by Roadgeekteen (see the final posts): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20856.75
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 20, 2017, 04:01:43 PM

I feel like there might have been another incident as well, but I know for a fact that mass quoting became a severe problem at the end of this thread by Roadgeekteen (see the final posts): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20856.75

Oh wow.

I was away from the forum at that time, so I didn't realize things got that out of hand.  I'll stop my occasional silly mass quoting right away, lest things devolve again.  Sorry if I've contributed to a problem.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2017, 04:08:06 PM

Oh wow.

I was away from the forum at that time, so I didn't realize things got that out of hand.  I'll stop my occasional silly mass quoting right away, lest things devolve again.  Sorry if I've contributed to a problem.
I wouldn't even know where to begin with how many sandwitched quotes are involved! :wow:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2017, 05:36:14 PM
A bit hard to enforce, don't you think?

I've had two accounts since May, and not only did no one care, no one even knew (despite it being, IMO, obvious). Now with that said, I didn't want two accounts anyways, just didn't know how to change my username. But if someone wanted two accounts, who would ever know?

(Disclaimer: I'm not advocating having two accounts, just noting that that rule is not enforceable, like all the other rules are).
Self-enforced, sir. There is thought behind the rule. This is what (I assume) Alex and the others wanted to imply to those who read the Forum Guidelines.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2017, 05:36:14 PM
Quote from: Takumi on October 19, 2017, 09:14:09 PM
Actually, two accounts are not allowed.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=992.0

A bit hard to enforce, don't you think?

I've had two accounts since May, and not only did no one care, no one even knew (despite it being, IMO, obvious). Now with that said, I didn't want two accounts anyways, just didn't know how to change my username. But if someone wanted two accounts, who would ever know?

(Disclaimer: I'm not advocating having two accounts, just noting that that rule is not enforceable, like all the other rules are).
It actually is enforceable. Source: I once was an admin, was able to find duplicate users.

US 89

Don't they ask for your email when you sign up? If you create two accounts using the same email, they can probably find you that way.
Also, two accounts always posting from the same IP address probably looks a little suspicious.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 21, 2017, 01:01:14 AM
Don't they ask for your email when you sign up? If you create two accounts using the same email, they can probably find you that way.

Only possible for one account per email, as that's hard coded into SMF.

Quote from: webny99 on October 21, 2017, 12:11:41 AM
How so? (And why didn't I get called out sooner?)

Trade Secret.

====

Anyways, this thread way off course now, and the original question was answered, so, lock time. :coffee:

rickmastfan67

Yes, and he was warned about this and told not to do mass quoting again of several posts.  Doing so will have repercussions for him if caught.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20856.msg2250067#msg2250067

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.