News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Seattle to Las vegas

Started by norman52, November 28, 2013, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

From the point of view of least likely problems, I-90, I-82, I-84, US-93.

Plan B, if Snoqualmie Pass looks bad, is I-5, I-205, I-84.

Sometimes you get snow on I-84 between Pendleton and La Grande.  Check the reports, and if bad either wait for it to clear, usually not more than 12 hours or so, or (Plan C!) take US-12 east from the Tri Cities, then US-95 south.

The Willamette Valley and the California Central Valley are prone to fog in the winter, plus crowded.  I'd avoid them since they're out of the way anyway.  Also the Siskiyous can be nothing or they can be awful and they change quickly.  Inland is the better strategy.

I'd avoid 101 with a trailer.  Yes, it's pretty, and mostly snow free, but slow and twisty in a lot of sections.

corco

Quotethen US-95 south

Though US 95 does have Whitebird Hill to deal with, which is probably the worst pass of any along either route (maybe not as long, but it's really steep with no flat places to slow down- of all the passes in the northwest, I think that's the one I'd be least excited to drive a Uhaul over- I even like negotiating the Lewiston Grade more than Whitebird). Only do this if it's absolutely clear that there's no snow on 95 and there is snow on other roads.

J N Winkler

I would stay away from I-5 between Eugene and Redding because of all the curves.  The Siskiyou Pass is actually not the hard part in Oregon:  the real grind is between Medford and Eugene, where the speed limit is generally 65 MPH but there are numerous curves with advisory speeds (signed using Oregon DOT's version of the Moskowitz sign) ranging from 45 to 55 MPH.  In fact, I-5 in Oregon is one damn curve after another from MP 0 to MP 170.  There are numerous reduced-speed curves in California between the Oregon state line and Redding as well.

In comparison, I-84 has far fewer reduced-speed curves between Emigrant Hill and Ontario, and with the exception of a few mountain pass alignments near Ely and Pioche, US 93 is largely a basin-bottom routing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

norman52

okay, leaving tomorrow AM. A couple more questions. How about a good gas station around Pendleton  Something easy to get into with a 24ft Moving truck 13ft tall. Need Diesel. It can be before or after +/- 20 miles. Just want it easy in and out. Same thing probably around exit 53 I-84 in Boise?The kids cars have a range of around 300 miles and the moving van 450-500 miles on 50 gallons. I would just top up the van while they fill up.  Probably one more stop around Ely. Ely might be pushing it for them as I am thinking they have about a 300 mile range with some reserve.  Any ideas?  I really appreciate all the help.

corco

There are a couple truck stops in Wells too if you want to fill up there. Vista which is Exit 53 in Boise probably wont be the easiest to fill up at. There is a nice TA with good prices just off Broadway on the south side of the freeway- that would be about as easy on easy off as you can find in Boise.

norman52

the TA on Broadway is perfect. now just Pendleton and Ely. Wells is a possibility. I can make Vegas from there and the Kids can get gas anyplace between Wells and Vegas.

norman52

Well, we made it. Thank goodness the weather was great. That climb out of Pendleton would be nasty in bad weather. Also the climb out of Ely. All we had was some dence  fog. 21 hours behind the wheel and one night in Boise. The loaded 24ft truck  took 102 gallons total (Diesel). Thanks again for all the help.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.