News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rain vs Snow

Started by webny99, February 14, 2018, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Just for kicks. Which do you prefer, and why?  :D

hotdogPi

Rain. It doesn't last as long, while snow can pile up.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Snow.  I can move it out if the way & not worry about flooding.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

Snow since it usually scares the terrible drivers that think they can handle rain away.

Hurricane Rex

Snow, I can ski on it, be a kid in it, do some fun stuff with it.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ET21

Rain, it's a free car wash
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on February 14, 2018, 10:35:36 PM
Snow.  I can move it out if the way & not worry about flooding.

Until it melts.  Especially poignant today when we have rain moving in and there's over a foot of snowpack on the ground!
But I see what you mean.  I'd rather walk outside in snow, because it doesn't directly get you wet.  I'd rather drive in rain, though.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2018, 11:00:56 PM
Snow since it usually scares the terrible drivers that think they can handle rain away.

Unfortunately for me, snow doesn't scare anyone away around here.  :paranoid:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 01:02:20 PM

Unfortunately for me, snow doesn't scare anyone away around here.  :paranoid:

Generally snow and bad weather are optional out on the West Coast.  I don't mind a snowy drive if it means I can do things like go to Yosemite or some place like it without a ton of riff raff.  Bad weather driving skills generally are lacking here, the state does their part to deter people with chain controls. 

Roadgeekteen

Rain. Snow is on the ground for longer.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

There's nothing better than curing up on the couch and listening to rain, and there's (usually) no need to brush off the car or scrape ice with it, but then, snow (usually) doesn't require an umbrella.  Yes, there have been exceptions to both this winter.  Using snow brushes while holding an umbrella is not fun.  Nor is discovering that a blizzard has suddenly and unexpectedly turned to almost 100% rain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buck87

Snow - it happens much less than rain so there's a novelty factor, plus it's usually less intrusive to most outdoor activities

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Buck87 on February 15, 2018, 09:49:17 PM
plus it's usually less intrusive to most outdoor activities
I am so confused by this.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2018, 10:38:23 PM

Winter sports

Buck87

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2018, 10:38:23 PM

Probably should have specified outdoor activities you'd actually want to be doing in winter.

But anyway, the point I was getting at was that snow usually doesn't get you soaking wet, making it much more enjoyable to be outside in than rain. If I had to be outside for an extended period of time, I'd rather it be in the snow than in the rain.

Hurricane Rex

Or cripples the city I live in.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

english si

Quote from: Buck87 on February 16, 2018, 11:28:25 PMBut anyway, the point I was getting at was that snow usually doesn't get you soaking wet, making it much more enjoyable to be outside in than rain. If I had to be outside for an extended period of time, I'd rather it be in the snow than in the rain.
Absolutely. Even light rain is more miserable than snow - part of that is when it snows it's bright, rather than dull grey! Part of that is when it snows, it gets you less wet.

I help with a annual scout event - a night hike in late January. One year it snowed heavily, so we moved everything earlier and shortened the time they had before they had to stop (the problem being the activity bases dotted around the course, with cars on narrow roads in hilly terrain having issues with getting trapped) because of the snow. The kids came back full of energy, annoyed that their fun walk in the snow had been cut short and wanting to go back out. Another year it started raining as heavily at a similar time of the night (and we again shifted it a bit earlier to deal with this forecast), and the kids all were wanting to drop out and stop walking, or coming back tired and miserable. But the adults who were under shelter and needed to drive back were  rather less grumpy.

When it's snowing lots of people round here go all chicken and won't go out - then it's fine. The problem is when it becomes ice later. Snow is pleasant to walk on (and easily cleared), deep puddles/mud is far less pleasant, but ice is just terrible.

jp the roadgeek

Rain.  Don't have to shovel, plow, or blow it.  It doesn't cause sight problems when you back out of you driveway when it piles up, doesn't lead to interruptions in your everyday life because it restricts your travel, and you don't have a mix of people either driving like maniacs and ending up in a ditch or 80 year old Floridians who brake every 2 feet with no in-between. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.